PDA

View Full Version : British Legion Campaign

fantaman
14th Aug 2007, 21:14
Hi folks,

I'm not normally one for posting links to petitions and campaigns but I really think this one deserves as wide an audience as possible. With all of us serving, ex-serving or just having an interest in the military, I'm hoping each of you will take a few moments out to read this and give your support.

The Royal British Legion has started the Broken Covenant campaign. The legion believes that our servicemen and women deserve more from their government. By commiting themselves to put their lives on the line for their country, they deserve immediate medical treatment and just compensation if they are injured.

Please sign up and support the soldiers, sailors and airmen.

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=516704

Best Regards

Airborne Aircrew
14th Aug 2007, 21:15
Already done...

But good work...:D

fantaman
14th Aug 2007, 21:21
Sorry, didn't see it in my first search of the forum. Can't do any harm reminding folk though :O

Airborne Aircrew
14th Aug 2007, 21:35
Err.. my apologies... I didn't mean to say that it was already done here... I meant to say that I already signed it... I have no idea if it has been posted here before and, as you say, no harm in reminding the forgetful ones... ;)

CleartoFire
15th Aug 2007, 09:22
Signed and sealed,

Spread the word.

mad_bob
15th Aug 2007, 10:46
Signed, Happy to do so. :ok:

woptb
15th Aug 2007, 10:46
Done & bumped !

Chugalug2
15th Aug 2007, 10:55
Done. The RBL leads, other service charity associations must now follow. Time perhaps for RAFA to tackle this disreputable government and remind it of its duty of care to our Armed Forces with a similar public campaign?

Tigs2
15th Aug 2007, 16:58
Done.

Pop, as this is for the British Legion is there any chance of getting this as a sticky for a month or so, to give all the Mil guys a chance to see it?(even if you don't i'll still buy you a pint Friday:))

Tigs:ok:

Chugalug2
17th Aug 2007, 15:07
Let's keep this one to the top please. If "DIN" does not allow of open support for the British Legion here, which it should do, it should at least allow those serving to sign its petition. If it doesn't then the MOD has indeed sunk to as yet unplumbed depths!

228 OCU
17th Aug 2007, 15:51
Done, and very happy to do so.

If in doubt BANG OUT.

trap one
17th Aug 2007, 19:52
:ok:
Proud to do so

glad rag
17th Aug 2007, 20:59
Yep have already done.

Support the British Legion in whatever way you can.

glad rag

jez_s
17th Aug 2007, 21:55
Done, hope it helps!!

ZOFO
17th Aug 2007, 22:04
Up we go signed

PlasticCabDriver
17th Aug 2007, 22:44
All signed, and proud to do so! :ok:

Tigs2
18th Aug 2007, 13:15
Unashamed boooooiiiiiinnnnng:ok:

Al R
18th Aug 2007, 13:56
Gets my vote. :D

3D CAM
18th Aug 2007, 17:29
Proud to add my name.
Will spread the word!

Chugalug2
18th Aug 2007, 22:22
Thank you PPRune Central Control for making this thread a sticky. Your ever flexible interpretation for what constitutes proper content of a Military Aviation Forum shows an ability to discern woods and demonstrates the shortcomings of out tree obsessed leaders. Might I suggest that those minded to sign the British Legion Broken Covenant petition linger a while on the site. In particular I commend the posting by "Next of Kin" on the topic "Scrutiny of Service-related deaths" page at:
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?fuseaction=messagedrill&asset_id=516729
This is the testimony of one who has had the traumatic experience of losing a loved one compounded by the bureaucratic, legalistic and soulless process produced by the unholy alliance of the Law and the MOD. There is no excuse for such callous disdain. The fundamental position that the facts surrounding the death of a loved one are not the direct business of the NoK is disreputable and surely unacceptable, whether covenanted or no, OPSEC not withstanding.

PingDit
19th Aug 2007, 15:38
Captain Kirk started this thread toward the beginning of August. You can never have too much publicity for this though.........

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287165

PD

m5dnd
19th Aug 2007, 15:48
Signed with pleasure..

Thanks to mods for making this a sticky

M5DND

X767
19th Aug 2007, 15:58
Done - our servicemen and women deserve a great deal more from this government

Shack37
19th Aug 2007, 17:05
Done
Publicity, Publicity, Publicity.
s37:ok:

ArthurR
19th Aug 2007, 18:53
Done and glad to...X767 our servicemen and women deserve better from any Goverment

Oblique96
20th Aug 2007, 12:07
More than happy to do this.
Thanks for raising it here.

neilmac
20th Aug 2007, 13:16
Yep they deserve much more, signed and forwarded to loads of people.

Keep the publicity going!

NM

m3181
20th Aug 2007, 15:27
signed , happy to do so , but only 5100 signatures

OffshoreHeli
20th Aug 2007, 16:54
Gladly signed. When are we marching on Downing street?

doubledolphins
23rd Aug 2007, 16:24
On 11 November there will be one hell of a lot of Vets marching past the end of Downing street. I think Gordon might notice.:ok:

coolblackcat
23rd Aug 2007, 19:27
Done; Mine is the 5771st signiture!

I had to put my Spanish address in, but I explained in the comments that I am a British Citizen...

Romeo Oscar Golf
25th Aug 2007, 15:02
Delighted to add my name. The only petition which I have signed recently which has not had a result was that one which required Blair to eat ice cream whilst standing on his head and juggling (or something like that):E

Synthetic
28th Aug 2007, 20:55
Signed and posted on two other boards I inhabit.

chappie
31st Aug 2007, 08:42
already signed, and circulated to the contacts that i have. i agree publicity is the best thing. this is not just of importance within the military community but to the families who wave their loved ones good bye of into the so called care of the government. how can you make an informed choice about your life and career unless you have all the information? any choice based on the lies that the government present as the truth as reality is not an accurate decision., in fact you are unable to give your informed consent because quite simply you have not been informed fully of the facts. therefore, i firmly believe publicity is desperately needed even if it is to force the hand of those thatcontinue to fail us.

Ray Dahvectac
1st Sep 2007, 23:14
Signed as number 7098 on the petition.

teeteringhead
3rd Sep 2007, 12:41
Not a bad weekend then - I've just signed as 7254! :ok:

lovezzin
7th Sep 2007, 23:51
hey, not meaning to flame, annoy or rustle feathers here, but could someone please give me a servicemans point of view as to why compensation should be given? what size amounts would this be?

surely, when signing up for military service, you know the risks and you should accept this with the job? its not a safe civilian job, if you dont want the risk, wouldnt you just pursue a civil job? also, you were willing to take this risk when serving, you chose to take that risk when starting this type of career. then cos things go tits up, you want money?

im not a hater, just wish to see it from another view!

dallas
8th Sep 2007, 09:26
I expect a few people wonder that and I don't think it's unreasonable to ask. My personal angle is twofold: if we were being paid stuntmen's wages it might negate the need - and it is need - for compensation. The very nature of military injuries, which tend to be somewhat more serious than, say, a strained thumb, often mean the casualty is unlikely to be able to work at the very least in the military, if at all. Normally, if the person is likely to recover, they'll stay in the services, but if it's serious enough to be booted out, they're disabled and unemployed!

I would also argue that, whatever their actual motives, not even front line soldiers join up to be injured. That is the same as Fireman Sam who doesn't join the Fire Service to fall through burning rafters, or Mrs Miggins who didn't go to work in her office to trip over the photocopier lead.

A serviceman's job might involve fighting, but that's completely different to joining up expecting to take a bullet.

lovezzin
8th Sep 2007, 13:54
aha! that was very well put. i think i must agree with you!

knotterpaul
9th Sep 2007, 23:03
Signed with Pride!

Chugalug2
9th Sep 2007, 23:06
aha! that was very well put. i think i must agree with you!
And very restrained as well if I may say so, dallas. I have heard this same tortured logic as Lovezzin's from a number of civvies, the majority of them women, for what it's worth. The mind set that can see the military as a "job" subject to clear "risks", that you accept and should not be surprised if you suffer from them, shows a worrying disconnect with the concept that the military is there to protect them and their interests. No one seems to know that these days. They are certainly not going to be reminded by a government, least of all this one composed of ex communists and CND members. They certainly do not learn it at school, just as they learn nothing else there it would seem, though the exam results are ever more stunning. Of course the media can thump the drum occasionally but the average civvie has not served, knows no one who is serving, is represented by those who have never served, and never knowingly sees anyone who is serving. Somehow this has to be changed around so that our forces are respected and cheered on sight as they are in the US. We have a long way to go, I fear.

lovezzin
13th Sep 2007, 17:21

Chugalug2
13th Sep 2007, 19:41
Lovezzin, the Forces protect what they are told to protect, endex! I'm sure that your Father, Grandfather, Great Grandfather, Great Uncle and Sisters Boyfriend would concur. They didn't ask the question, you did, and I notice that you don't mention any military experience yourself. As to National Service, speaking on behalf of the Forces, no thank you very much! They have enough on their hands without having the added burden of a generation of surly social misfits dumped on them to "sort out". This problem began in the homes and the schools, and has to be solved there.
As today is the official launch of the Royal British Legion's Military Covenant Campaign, and the subject of this thread, may I suggest a visit to their campaign site at
http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/news/index.cfm?fuseaction=newsdetail&asset_id=517127

and

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/index.cfm?asset_id=516704

to find out how best to give them support in this urgent matter?

AonP
17th Sep 2007, 16:34
I urge all PPRuNe members to sign up to the Royal British Legion's 'Honour the Covenant' campaign. Below is an extract from the aims of the campaign:

"The Royal British Legion is calling on Government to honour its life-long duty of care to those making a unique commitment to their country.

We believe:
1. There should be a just compensation scheme which recognises the commitment and
sacrifices made when serving the Nation.
2. There should be a greater commitment to support the physical and mental health of Service people and their families.
3. There should be more support for bereaved Service families."

Please show your support on the website:

http://www.britishlegion.org.uk/inde...sset_id=516704

moosemaster
19th Sep 2007, 10:42
Signed, and posted on some other forums I frequent.

As for the other matter. Getting 'Joe Public' to understand why we do what we do is going to be an uphill (but worthwhile) struggle. It is not helped by most folk not really understanding that we only do as we are told. We don't really want to be in a war zone, but we go anyway because someone has to go.

There appears to be no generally accepted distinction any more between HM Forces (who do the job), and HM Government (who tell them what job to do!) We all seem to be tarred with the same brush. I suppose that's what happens when you have one party in government for so long.

9.81m/s/s
19th Sep 2007, 20:15
Done. I don't think it is too much to expect fair treatment, housing and in the case of injuries sustained due to service, just compensation. Those who do get injured are not out to become millionaires at the Govt's expense, they want sufficient payment to enable them to pay for care/rehabilitation/housing work for wheelchair and accessibility etc. Furthermore, this needs to see them through the rest of their lives as many will not be able to work again!!! The public do I hope realise that we do not have the luxury of not turning up for work because we don't like where we are going or what we are doing. Many people have said to me that if I don't agree with it then I should have the courage of my convictions and just leave....... great, what a naive and puerile attitude. What about the family that I support and the mortgage I am paying off....? And the fact that I do still believe that UK mil is the most professional outfit in the world with the nost talented people doing the bidding of morons !!!!

Bernouli's what?
21st Sep 2007, 15:07
Consider it done. I've been a 'voyeur' of pprune for a long time now but this is worth speaking up about. Just hope my voice is heard!

smith639
25th Sep 2007, 12:31
Signed and promulgated.

merlinxx
29th Sep 2007, 06:57
Just checked the number who've signed up to this, stands at 1002 only. How many ex RAF, RAAF, RNZAF & CAF Air (RCAF) flying/working in commercial aviation are there? just get them all to sign up. 1002 signatories is a sad reflection!

BattlerBritain
30th Sep 2007, 19:56
On a similar vein the Sunday Times has published a great article highlighting the poor care our people are receiving on return from nasty places.

Article at: http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/uk/article2558222.ece

Cheers,

Battler

Op_Twenty
1st Oct 2007, 21:22
I really can't believe there are only just over 1000 signators to this petition, it's beyond belief. Very soon we're going to have to take a stand and say 'enough's enough' we just can't perform at this level of overstretch and we can't go on without public support. We are voting with our feet. I know guys don't want to leave the military, I'm one of them, but where did the duty of care to the men fighting overseas go? I mean really, where did it go? Who does look after the young guys stepping into our profession today? I know we are British and have a stiff upper lip and don't let things as trivial as a little war or two bother us but the public are just not on-side with the forces anymore. They are saying: 'I would support the troops but I don't agree with the war' and accept that to be an excuse for not supporting our troops - half of it is that when the guys get back from theatre they have to change into civvies before going home! Nobody sees them, nobody sees the uniforms returning. Very soon we will see the maimed, injured, young, otherwise very much versatile and healthy men that these conflicts have tried to break, try to walk tall amongst us in the high street, now redundant (but not forgotten by their brothers) and still so strong in spirit, but still so let down by the Ministry and the Government, and now the public. Will that wake the public up? Will it embarass the government into looking into the Legion's campaign? I doubt it. But for every man that is supported by helping them overcome returning to a country that would rather forget about them because their life and service to their country has become an inconvenience, I salute the Royal British Legion twice. They've taken an incredibly worthwhile stand and with them, as I know we all are, I wish them the best of luck in bringing this to the attention of the nation.

I had to say that, sorry to take up your time...(stops me ranting at the wife and I thank you guys for it!)

Chugalug2
5th Oct 2007, 14:57
I really can't believe there are only just over 1000 signators to this petition,

Neither can I, OT, especially as it was reported as in excess of 7,200 on page two! Could the counter be working in reverse, or have dropped a zero, perchance? Either way I see no way of reading it without going through the signing process again which, though tempting, is not really playing the game. Could future signatories please report the count when they post so that we can alert RBL if it has indeed gone wobbly!

ambidextrous
9th Oct 2007, 09:25
To all concerned ppruners:
Have just signed this petition, the counter on the RBL website shows 9,200.
This petition does not appear to be on the Government website though, only the RBL's?
Incidentally, for those concerned at the lack of support for the military & ex-military please go to the following website: www.afpg.info (Armed Forces Pension Group) and show your support for pension equality for all ex-forces personnel by writing to your MP. Eventually, the MOD may just start getting the message!!:ok:
with fraternal greetings, ambi

cooheed
19th Oct 2007, 15:00
Signed. Stands at 9404 now.

AonP
22nd Oct 2007, 19:27
Veterans get faster access to NHS

An East Yorkshire primary care trust has become the first to "fast-track" health treatment for all war veterans. Hull Teaching PCT has agreed a policy that includes veterans who are not war pensioners but who are thought to have a condition related to their service.

The NHS is currently only required to "fast track" the treatment of injuries for which a pension is received. The PCT said it had taken "a bold step to support brave military personnel who risk their lives for their country". GPs and other NHS trusts in Hull had been made aware of the new policy so that those who were eligible to benefit from it could do so "without delay", the PCT said.

PCT chief executive Christopher Long, a former infantry officer in the Army, stressed the importance of prompt healthcare for this particular patient group. "Some illnesses, particularly mental health problems, may not develop or show themselves until some time after a service man or woman has left the armed forces," said Mr Long.

"As many health professionals have little or no knowledge of life in the forces and encounter only very small numbers of patients with this type of background, there is a real risk that physical and mental health problems caused directly or indirectly by military service may be missed or misdiagnosed."

He said Hull Teaching PCT was committed to ensuring fast access to health services for everyone. "But we must also recognise the selflessness of those who have risked their health and indeed their lives for their country," he said.

"We feel it is particularly important to make sure younger veterans' conditions which are related to military service are also addressed and treatment offered as quickly as possible, in line with the service which war pensioners already receive."

Shaun Rusling, vice chairman of the National Gulf Veterans and Families Association (NGVFA) said his organisation hoped the example set by Hull might be followed elsewhere in the UK. "The NGVFA is delighted with Hull PCT and the new policy arrangements for fast track treatments for veterans which we believe will put Hull PCT in the forefront for treatment for war veterans in the country," he said. "And, similarly, we hope that this policy could be adopted nationally."

flying bizzie
25th Oct 2007, 20:28
Signed and sent. Thanks for the link Fantaman:ok:

LoeyDaFrog
31st Oct 2007, 13:31
Duly signed up and others informed