PDA

View Full Version : Type Rating course.

tinmouse
14th Aug 2007, 21:06
Hi All,

At Last I’m at the stage where I’m ready to do the type-rating course. However I would like to ask those of you that have done it already, a few questions.

I understand that I may have to pay for the rating myself. I also understand that you have to do some written exams as well as a practical flight exam. Could any of you shed some light on how difficult you found it? As generally it takes about six weeks – a lot of work in a short time? Where did you do the course etc.

Any insights into your experience of doing the type rating would be welcome.

Kind regards,
Tinmouse.

Dreamshiner
14th Aug 2007, 23:06
10 days groundschool, not unsummountable, just write up notes to help you the stuff you'll get wil be the Boeing manuals normally which tends to be drier than a nun's netheregions, just be aware the electrics and hydraulics on a jet and a few systems are completely new to you compared to a seneca or the last aircraft you have flown prior to starting.

Cockpitweb and some other websites such as CPat offer online tests. Sometimes however answers differ from company to company. Also as they are generally geared up for our colonial cousins tend not to cover every JAA reg and difference.

Sim phase, sit in as many other sims as possible, the 4 hour sessions whizz by and you have a shed load to learn. Do as much prep as possible, train hard, fight easy as they say in the army.

Be prepared for a lot of delays and schedule changes, therefore budget for 6 weeks instead of 4 to be safe. Main thing is getting into a cardboard cut-out and running through drills until they are second nature. Don't try to remember exact positions, try to get patterns, how buttons should look, it will become apparent when you start. Just think logically:

OK, pushback done ..... so we want to set the flaps, check the control surfaces, check for warnings on the computers, check for obstructions outside then ask for taxi, think like that and it will go simply.

Trying to remember lists verbatim didn't work for me but every person soaks up info differently so identify what works for you and do it.

rbr919
18th Aug 2007, 18:12
Just over 4 weeks for me. Only found out I was on the course a few days before so no preparation.
2 weeks of ground school sitting in cardboard cockpit and watching computer based training. Very much at your own pace during the day but you must keep up with the timetable. Plenty of review tests along the way to monitor your progress. Don't need to know anything prior to the course as all info there.
Ground school finishes with written exams. If fail re-attempt.
Then all the sim work for about 2 weeks. Fixed base sim to start with about 10 hours, learning scans etc. Then full motion sessions of 4 hours each with a short break. Approx 40 hours. Will get a few days off. Will sit a licence skill test(LST) with examiner at the end. Instructors very very good and helpful.

If its your first its a great learning experience, you will work all the hours of the day for a month but well worth it!

Would NEVER advise doing/paying for a TR without a job guaranteed for when you finish. Especially as low houred as you will fall very very quickly down the learning curve and at £500 an hour for the simulator, its very expensive to get back up!

You then have to do a minimum of 6 take offs and landings within 6 months of your LST in the actual aircraft (very very very expensive and be careful as your course may only include the 6, so if you need more remortgage your house (£600-£1000 a circuit!). Be careful when chosing a TRTO as not all offer the base training! (no base training no licence)

Good luck.