PDA

View Full Version : Bond/OAT "Sponsorship"

Pages : [1] 2

buzz34
13th Aug 2007, 17:25
Surprised this has been mentioned on here yet? (or am I just blind!)
On reading £30k whilst a lot of money, isn't too bad for whats on offer.
Does anyone have any further information, gather Oxford are doing the selection and Bristows (HAI) are doing the training.

www.oxfordaviation.net/bond/bond_info.htm (http://www.oxfordaviation.net/bond/bond_info.htm)

Applications open tomorrow at 12pm. Shotgun first in the queue!

manfromuncle
13th Aug 2007, 17:34
I'm very surprised they even need to run this sheme. Isn't Bristow's academy /every other flight school already full of pilots/students gagging for this type of opportunity? There must also be a lot of self-funded/ex-mil IR holders out there also.

buzz34
13th Aug 2007, 17:37
Yes, I was fairly shocked myself on discovering it!. They are talking about 3 intakes next year as well, seemed like quite a lot to me!?

My question is how many of the airline trainees on or thinking about "approved" schemes are going to decide they may want a rotary career. It could save them a few bob!

scruggs
13th Aug 2007, 18:18
Looks like TeeS was right on the money!

S.

scruggs
13th Aug 2007, 18:33
Fair play to Bond for having the :mad: to invest in a cadetship for the future and it would not suprise me if Bristows aren't about to follow in similar foot steps with their latest Florida acquistion.

Agree 100%!!!

If I wasn't 1/2 way through a PhD I'd apply to this in a heart beat. Hopefully Bond and/or others will still be running similar schemes in 18 months to 2 years or so, when I'm free to apply!

S.

Martin1234
13th Aug 2007, 23:15
Have gained 5 GCSE’s at Grade C or above and 2 A-Levels (or non-UK equivalent)

Anyone explain what type of qualifications that is?

212man
14th Aug 2007, 00:10
Not sure how to convert to Swedish schooling! GCSE are the exams done at 16, generally around 6-10 subjects at a time. 'A' Levels are done at 18, normally 2-4 subjects, and are the requisite qualifications for University entry. So, basically, you need to have done reasonably (but not exceptionally) well at 'High School'.

Brilliant Stuff
14th Aug 2007, 11:58
That is fantastic news!

I wish all the applicants the best of luck.:ok::ok::ok:

BRASSEMUP
14th Aug 2007, 13:05
That is fantastic news!

I wish all the applicants the best of luck.

I totally agree.................The ex mil applicants pool with experience is slowly drying up. It can only be good news for wannabees!!!!!

But why Bond and not one of the larger two companies?

:D:ok:

Riddster
14th Aug 2007, 14:03
Does anybody know what a normal starting salary for bond would be?

scruggs
14th Aug 2007, 14:57
Although I'm delighted to see a scheme like this make a come-back, I must say I'm a little surprised too that Bond would need to run such a scheme in the first place. Granted, the pool of experienced guys is drying up, but if anything I thought they would have looked towards more experienced pilots and offered maybe an IR/AS332L2 TR sponsorship rather than ab-initio.

As I say, not complaining by a long shot!

Good luck to all the applicants. I hope to be joining you in a year or 2 (providing this, or schemes like it, are still running). Here's hoping....

S :ok:

buzz34
14th Aug 2007, 15:03
I am aware of the age legislation rules etc. But are Bond likely to have a cut off point in mind fro applications.

Is it fair to expect quite a few applicants getting through to the OAT test stage then getting chopped after that.
I presume most people with the basic quals would got to OAT with their £195 to do the tests and then get chopped afterwards, or is there likely to be some sifting beforehand?
Just interested as I would expect that to be ALOT of £195 cheques making their way to OAT!!

FloaterNorthWest
14th Aug 2007, 15:05
How long are you "bonded" (no pun intended) to them at the end of the trainining?

FNW

Bravo73
14th Aug 2007, 16:02
How long are you "bonded" (no pun intended) to them at the end of the trainining?

FNW

The current bond for IR & TR is, IIRC, 5 years.

So, I imagine that a bond for the value of £70k is going to be in the region of 7-10 years. :eek:

(And this doesn't include paying back the additional £30k loan, of course...)

Mid £30s.

Brilliant Stuff
14th Aug 2007, 17:29
Brassmeup that's because Bond are a quality company.

When I worked for Bond they were quality.

Their Training of course used to be excellent I presume it still is.

BaronG
14th Aug 2007, 17:53
Why Bond?

Perhaps Bond are struggling more than Bristow/CHC to find pilots...As to why that could be, well, deeper question ;)

BG

BRASSEMUP
14th Aug 2007, 18:25
Brassmeup that's because Bond are a quality company.

When I worked for Bond they were quality.

Their Training of course used to be excellent I presume it still is.

Good i'm glad they are.:D

Its always good to have positive feedback then somebody tapping away after too many red wines slagging down the company that treats them so bad! :sad:

pitchlink
14th Aug 2007, 18:54
Riddster if you have the true motivation for flying and using the sponsorship route this question should be nowhere near the top of your list!!! Speaking as someone lucky enough to come through one of Bond's previous sponsorship schemes, I was just happy for them to pick up the initial tab. OK, I had to pay back 50% over the next six years, but it came out of pre tax salary so it was a good deal for me!!! I was very happy to sign not knowing what the salary would be or even where I was going to be based!
My advice would be, if you are going to apply, think of something different to ask them if you get invited for testing!!!:ok:

Propellerhead
15th Aug 2007, 14:13
Pitchlink,
That's good interview advice but the reality of sponsorships these days is that there is still a big financial burden placed on the shoulder of the candidate. The starting salary may be a key factor in someone deciding if they are able to go for the sponsorship from a financial point of view. Sound and realistic financial planning is essential before investing your life savings in a training course.
Actually sounds a good scheme financially compared to some recent airline schemes.

Riddster
15th Aug 2007, 15:11
Pitchlink,
While I agree it's not the sort of question you would ask at the first interview for this, I thought that was a perfectly valid question to be asked here. Surely when you are paying out 30k, admittedly a fraction of the total cost, for this training you have a right to know how much they are going to pay you at the end of it. You have to be realistic about these things, people have morgages/loans etc that have to be covered.

Rico1903
15th Aug 2007, 15:18
Riddster, I am a wannabe like yourself so don't take my info for gospel. I got it from http://www.pilotjobsnetwork.com/.

According to the website starting FO salaries are between £30k and £35k a year for Aberdeen operators. Bear in mind the info might be out of date or the fact cadets might start on reduced salaries. I don't really know!

On OAT's messageboard there is a post saying more info will be made available to those who attend stage 2 of the selection process.

Good luck if you decide to go for it. :ok:

Riddster
15th Aug 2007, 15:29
Thanks Rico, much appreciated.

Genie the Greenie
15th Aug 2007, 15:36
Does anyone know who from Bond will do the stage 2 interview process, and are they likely to do the similar phsycometric testing as CHC?

MartinCh
15th Aug 2007, 16:23
Hi there.

I, as a wannabe, have researched many training routes, spent hours on end on PPRuNe, etc etc.

I do agree that knowing length of bond and starting salary is kinda important. It's not a sign of not being passionate or serious about one's aviation future.

I'm budgeting with about £40k for 200hr TT JAA CPL training /to be able to get hired as instructor in the US/ incl US CFII in Bristow Academy /former HAI/, FL. That's inclusive of some associated costs such as flights, fees, housing etc.

One can say round £30k for up to +-150-160 hours JAA CPL in BA according to their current price list. So they'd sponsor accommodation in the US and if anything goes wrong, they won't lose much. And naturally, they'd invest into one's JAA IR, type rating etc only after being successful to the CPL point.

IF someone could get another 10-15k for other costs, JAA FI, there's no need to get tied to the company. Depending on their conditions, how much would be repaid, term of the bonding etc.
It would take 1-3 years longer to get proper job, but how much is 'freedom' worth? :-D

I'd rather do it my way than paying almost the same BUT with the perks of quick steps towards second pilot in turbine chopper. That'll save time 'hanging around' as helo instructor, chasing the first "real job" etc.

I read the advert on their website. Sounds good for someone who wants to stay in the UK for a very long time.
I'm getting UK passport in couple years' time, but flying around the world is so captivating. Not in this weather for 5-10 years in a row :-/

Call me a moaner, but while I see the advantages of singing up /being picked/ for this cadetship, I don't find it that great. That JAA IR is the biggest hurdle and that could be sponsored - see Bristow.

Still got few years of hard work, saving, fundraising till I can start training. Sucks. Well, c'est la vie.
IF Bristow, ERA, PHI or CHC started intership with much lower /eg PPL/ self-funding, I'd go for it. I'm not sure they'd do it within three years anyway.

Bravo73
15th Aug 2007, 16:50
Does anyone know who from Bond will do the stage 2 interview process, and are they likely to do the similar phsycometric testing as CHC?

They will be the standard OAT APP/FO tests, probably with a very slight helicopter bias.

More details of these tests (and what to expect at every stage) can be found in the Wannabes forum.

pitchlink
15th Aug 2007, 20:03
That is all well and good, I am not knocking someone for having basic financial planning, but if you really want it I am sure you will cope! After all, if you work hard, you will have a reasonably well paid job at the end of the day!!! I started on £16K as a second officer, I am sure this must have at least doubled by now. My experience of talking to people looking for sponsorships today is that they want it on a plate. What they need to understand is that they are entering the big, bad commercial world and there are no free lunches, unless you have worked hard, bitten the bullet and are able to get them of the rigs when you land on!!!!!!!:E

212man
15th Aug 2007, 23:20
I assume from the advert's reference to obtaining a visa to work in the US, that following the HAI course you'll be 'used' (sorry, gain valuable experience) as an FI there. Any ideas for how long?

Bravo73
16th Aug 2007, 07:16
I assume from the advert's reference to obtaining a visa to work in the US, that following the HAI course you'll be 'used' (sorry, gain valuable experience) as an FI there. Any ideas for how long?

I think that you've got the wrong end of the stick, 212.

The OAT ad refers to a 'right to work in the EU' but only needs a visa for 'training in the US':

Have the right to live and work in the European Union
<snip>
Anticipate being able to gain a Visa for undertaking training in the United States
Edited to add: Aha, I've just double checked the Flight ad and you're right, it does say 'Be able to gain a Visa for working in the USA'. I can only imagine that this was just a typo when the longer OAT details were condensed for the Flight ad.

MartinCh
17th Aug 2007, 11:00
212man:
It does not say about doing FI /US term = CFI/. What's the point? If it's supposed to be cadetship, they'd take on +-250h TT guy as SIC. It won't make sense otherwise.
That ads talks about 1 year training. That's about the max time someone should do JAA CPL at HAI/BA.

To be able to do FIing, one needs J1 visa which is for 2yr max incl training.
EG 9-12 months training and the rest of 2 yr instructing. But I don't think there's need for that from BOND's side.
IF THERE IS, WHOLE CADETSHIP IS POINTLESS.
UNLESS someone lives in the UK, doesn't want to 'test the waters' around the globe for foreseeable future.

pitchlink:
Nobody wants anything 'on plate'. Just that committing so much as bond thanks to JAA IR 'cuts the wings of freedom' a bit.
I didn't say it's no good at all. It just won't be for everyone.
I would be inclined towards it more if it was Bristow as they got operations around the world and no need to get tied to UK and its weather.

if what BRAVO73 says is right, whole speculations about 212man's question is pointless. I won't do that.

IF I fund whole training, got J1 in the US, I'm likely to do some FIing hopefully up to 1000hr TT and then I could be sponsored for JAA IR if wanted in the UK. Check out other topics in case you don't know /you guys with 1000s of hours don't really care anyway/.

Howgh

L A James
20th Aug 2007, 06:49
How many of us Rotorhead Ppruners have applied for this?

I completed my application last Thursday and am now busy praying to every god, idol and deity that I get through the process!

L A

buzz34
20th Aug 2007, 09:30
Applied last Tuesday, I have the absolute bare minimum in academic qualifications, but have previously passed the OAT "selection" procedures and have a bit of flying/aviation experience so am hoping they may turn a blind eye to my rather sparse academic achievements!

What kind of qualifications/flying experience do other applicants have?

Smike
20th Aug 2007, 09:33
Damn, i missed this!!!

I guess that there´s no time to apply now...doH!

Regards,
Smike

Bravo73
20th Aug 2007, 10:08
I guess that there´s no time to apply now...doH!

Why not, Smike?

Closing date for applications.......... Monday 27th August 2007
Although before you do apply, I suggest that you read the rest of the advert in much more detail next time. :ok:

Smike
20th Aug 2007, 10:27
Thx Bravo,

I read that 27th August bit...that´s why i thought maybe it wouldnt make any sense applying afterwards.

Anyways, sorry if i felt like a lazy b**ch...;o)

All the best,
Smike

scruggs
20th Aug 2007, 10:43
You do know it's only August 20th don't you smike? :}

S.

Smike
20th Aug 2007, 12:08
Lolllll...What an arse i am!! Someone should kick me in the A**, thought we were on September already. Time to take my medication i see!

Thx and sorry for my sillyness, geez!

Take care,
Smike

L A James
20th Aug 2007, 13:14
Ha, ha... funny Smike. You sound like my missus!!

Buzz34: I have got the bare minimum requirements on A-levels but have also got a degree. I haven't got any helo qualifications though. 12 hrs in Sea Kings and have loads of other exp in fixed wing (including a flight in an F3) and a PPL on gliders.

L A

O27PMR
20th Aug 2007, 15:24
Likewise...

I have the bare minimum academic qualifications and hopefully by the end of this week I might have a PPL(h) with about 60 hours on helicopters.

Fingers crossed!!!:eek:

PR

Bertie Thruster
20th Aug 2007, 17:44
According to the website starting FO salaries are between £30k and £35k a year for Aberdeen operators.

as at July 07, one of the N sea operators paying basic;

FO < 500 hrs; £35928

FO 500: £37568

FO 1000; £39208

Captain yr 1 £68879

GoodGrief
20th Aug 2007, 18:15
Just to clarify:

Would those salaries be for let's say FOs with 1000 TT or 1000 in that company's left seat ?

BRASSEMUP
20th Aug 2007, 18:48
That will be TT.;)

GoodGrief
20th Aug 2007, 19:02

MINself
20th Aug 2007, 19:27
Bertie,
There's a fairly huge pay gap between a 1000hr+ FO and a Yr 1 Capt so does this N sea operator have incremental salary increases on top of any company pay awards for FO's? And as this is "basic" salary what additions are there? ;)
Thanks for the info

MINself
20th Aug 2007, 20:19
Cheers for the info TTT

Bertie Thruster
21st Aug 2007, 07:58
Talk the Torque's figures spot on as at July '07.
(I understand that this year for the first time a line captain (not a TRE) will, with allowances, top £100k.)

buzz34
21st Aug 2007, 08:55
This is all well and good, but is it not more likely that an ab-initio sponsored cadet will be starting closer to the low £20k's?

Bravo73
21st Aug 2007, 09:01
This is all well and good, but is it not more likely that an ab-initio sponsored cadet will be starting closer to the low £20k's?

Probably not quite that low but rest assured that somebody has got to pay for the £70k. Bond aren't just going to be giving it away...

L A James
21st Aug 2007, 10:10
Bravo; have you worked / do you work for Bond?

Hope you don't mind the probing question but you seem to be quite an authority on this subject and I notice from your profile that you have a plethora of type ratings so obviously very experienced.

It's nice to have someone who knows what they're talking about helping out us wannabees!

L A

Bravo73
21st Aug 2007, 10:42
Bravo; have you worked / do you work for Bond?

No. But plenty of my mates do. Current Bond employees are 'heavily discouraged' from posting on here.

Hope you don't mind the probing question but you seem to be quite an authority on this subject and I notice from your profile that you have a plethora of type ratings so obviously very experienced.

Well, I wouldn't necessarily believe everything that I read... :E

Martin1234
21st Aug 2007, 11:01
Probably not quite that low but rest assured that somebody has got to pay for the £70k. Bond aren't just going to be giving it away...

First pay the £195, THEN get the terms and conditions.. :}

liftman
21st Aug 2007, 16:25
....I think could be a great chance.....any idea if other operators ( CHC, Bristow etc...) are doing something similar?

Just to increase chanches.....

scruggs
21st Aug 2007, 17:59
Bravo73,

When you say Bond employees are 'heavily discouraged from posting on here', do you mean this particular thread or PPRuNe in general? If it's the latter, what's the reason?

Cheers,
S. :ok:

OffshoreHeli
21st Aug 2007, 19:50
Never heard of us being discouraged from being on PPRUNE. If you do get selected then you will be welcomed onboard. I do not think many of our guys frequent this site.

Bravo73
21st Aug 2007, 20:17
Offshoreheli,

I must have old gen then, I'm afraid. It was probably in reaction to that old Jigsaw thread (which I seem to remember turned slightly vitriolic...)

But then again I did leave the following disclaimer:
Well, I wouldn't necessarily believe everything that I read... :E

:E (again!)

Rico1903
22nd Aug 2007, 10:45
Courtesy of the local rag (Press and Journal).

Interesting reading...

22 August 2007
Bond aviation group announced yesterday training programmes for new pilots and engineers.

Around £4million is being invested in a move to provide 12 pilots and 20 engineers for operating companies Bond Offshore Helicopters and Bond Air Services.

Aberdeen-based Bond Offshore Helicopters currently operates seven Super Puma AS332L Mk IIs in the oil and gas industry - five on crew-change flights and two specially modified for dedicated search-and-rescue services. Two Super Puma EC 225s will be added next year.

Bond Air Services has its headquarters at Staverton, Gloucestershire, and is the United Kingdom's largest onshore helicopter opera-tor.

It operates 24 aircraft - 15 EC 135T2 helicopters and nine Bolkow 105s - flying from 18 bases throughout the country, with a diverse range of operations, including support for police forces, ambulance services and lighthouses.

Bond executive chairman Peter Bond said: "Both companies are continuing to recruit experienced pilots and engineers.

"But we recognise that the shortage facing the industry requires a proactive approach in attracting new people and to help meet our longer-term requirements in expanding our activities.

"We have a history of investing in people and of providing security of employment and career development. These programmes will continue that commitment."

Twelve applicants are being sought to train as pilots, with the first stage in the US where they will spend 48 weeks gaining their flying licences, followed by 16 weeks with the Bond training division at Staverton for instrument rating.

Four engineering apprentices annually are being sponsored by Bond over five years, with the first group of students already in training.

The Bond companies have a staff of around 350.

L A James
22nd Aug 2007, 11:13
Thanks Rico... not many places available then. I wonder if that's 12 cadets over the three intakes (Nov '07, May '08 and Sept '08) or 12 cadets per intake.

Either way, it's going to be tough competition!

L A

manfromuncle
22nd Aug 2007, 11:26
I really don't understand why they need to run this scheme at all. HAI/BA is stuffed to the gills with self-funded desperate JAA/FAA pilots. Why not just go down there and interview some. I'm baffled.

buzz34
22nd Aug 2007, 11:41
I wonder if that's 12 cadets over the three intakes (Nov '07, May '08 and Sept '08) or 12 cadets per intake.

LA, I would imagine that would be 12 full stop, 3 entries of 4 cadets. To my mind 36(12 per intake) would seem like a hell of a lot for the size of the fleet........but I am probably wrong...again!!

Bravo73
22nd Aug 2007, 12:24
I really don't understand why they need to run this scheme at all. HAI/BA is stuffed to the gills with self-funded desperate JAA/FAA pilots. Why not just go down there and interview some. I'm baffled.

Maybe it's because...

They've been taking HAI grads for the last few years. And maybe Bond aren't happy with the general standard or level of competence. So maybe they would like to pre-select (rather than post-select) the candidates and have more control over the training process.

Or maybe Bond are happy with the general standard and it's due to something else completely different.

But that's an awful lot of maybes... :ok:

L A James
22nd Aug 2007, 13:37
Buzz,

You're probably right actually, 36 is a large number of newbies for the size of the company. I didn't think about my question properly... doh!

L A

Web Ferret
23rd Aug 2007, 20:46
Now heres an opportunity that you don't see everyday... (or ever)

malabo
24th Aug 2007, 00:39
Interesting that all the European operators are taking their training to the US. Any feedback from the flying schools in the UK and the rest of Europe? I've heard that helicopter training is a dying industry in Europe because the Bristow, CHC and now Bond just takes it to a jurisdiction where it is most efficient. What about all the blah, blah about JAR standards and how much better and safer the JAA system of training pilots is? Sounds like nobody has bought in and now the regulators have killed the industry they were supposed to support.

malabo

Tallguy
24th Aug 2007, 08:12
Malabo - Bristow Academy provide JAA courses in the US, so I would presume operators are training in the US over Europe due to the economic advantages as oppose to regulatory advantages

Brilliant Stuff
24th Aug 2007, 15:55
They train to the European standards and credits but cheaper and in sunshine.

manfromuncle
24th Aug 2007, 16:24
At the risk of going slightly off-topic...

I think the UK PPL/CPL training system is a joke now. Everyone buggers off abroad, and either stays there, or come back and convert their licence, and/or go the IR/North Sea route. Most people that do their PPL/CPL in the UK are ones with family/work commitments to the UK, and who can't take months off work to train abroad. Everyone knows it's MUCH cheaper abroad, and flight schools that poo-poo training abroad are just bitter about not being able to compete on cost, the "only us brits know how to fly, the radio/airspace over here is much harder etc" attitude that is around doesn't help either.

Compared to years ago (when you could do your own self-study CPL groundschool for £500, as oppose to £3,500 these days) and be an FI with just a PPL+200 hours) there are hardly any new instructors coming through because you simply can't make a half decent living as an instructor (£60k investment for £17k a year 'salary'), and you generally get treated pretty badly.

It's very sad. But I think we have over-regulation and over-cost here in the UK. Even discounting the loony CAA charges, things like landing fees/circuit fees/fuel surcharges/exam fees/membership fees etc just put people off training in the UK. Why spend £17,000 your PPL when you can spend £12,000?

By the way, I speak as a professional heli pilot who has trained/worked/taught in the US and UK over the last few years.

malabo
24th Aug 2007, 17:10
manfromuncle,

You are not off topic. When major operators take their training dollars completely off the continent there has to be a major problem with the system. For the toils and sacrifices of everyone struggling to do a helicopter license on their own in Europe, they are now considered a saps and a suckers. After all, the majors would as soon hire your neighbour off the street that has never seen a helicopter and put him into an offshore IFR helicopter. All you guys that spent 200k to get a CAA/JAA CPL/IR on your own and are still looking for work feeling any better?

My sympathy to the flying schools in Europe. They're probably getting boarded up if they can afford the boards.

The US and Canadian training industry is vibrant and expanding - with a lot of foreign students from countries where regulations and "economics" have become major obstacles to their training.

malabo

Slotty
25th Aug 2007, 15:07
From the Press and Journal

http://www.thisisnorthscotland.co.uk/displayNode.jsp?nodeId=149235&command=displayContent&sourceNode=149218&contentPK=18168832&moduleName=InternalSearch&formname=sidebarsearch

BOND INVESTS £4M IN TRAINING NEW PILOTS AND ENGINEERS
08:50 - 22 August 2007

Bond aviation group announced yesterday training programmes for new pilots and engineers.

Around £4million is being invested in a move to provide 12 pilots and 20 engineers for operating companies Bond Offshore Helicopters and Bond Air Services.

Aberdeen-based Bond Offshore Helicopters currently operates seven Super Puma AS332L Mk IIs in the oil and gas industry - five on crew-change flights and two specially modified for dedicated search-and-rescue services. Two Super Puma EC 225s will be added next year.

Bond Air Services has its headquarters at Staverton, Gloucestershire, and is the United Kingdom's largest onshore helicopter opera-tor.

It operates 24 aircraft - 15 EC 135T2 helicopters and nine Bolkow 105s - flying from 18 bases throughout the country, with a diverse range of operations, including support for police forces, ambulance services and lighthouses.

Bond executive chairman Peter Bond said: "Both companies are continuing to recruit experienced pilots and engineers.

"But we recognise that the shortage facing the industry requires a proactive approach in attracting new people and to help meet our longer-term requirements in expanding our activities.

"We have a history of investing in people and of providing security of employment and career development. These programmes will continue that commitment."

Twelve applicants are being sought to train as pilots, with the first stage in the US where they will spend 48 weeks gaining their flying licences, followed by 16 weeks with the Bond training division at Staverton for instrument rating.

Four engineering apprentices annually are being sponsored by Bond over five years, with the first group of students already in training.

The Bond companies have a staff of around 350.

Martin1234
26th Aug 2007, 17:54
Personally I don´t understand why the industrie does not "sponsor" more pilots.

The "industrie" consists of operators that normally are run as companies driven by profit. It is more economical to employ pilots as opposed to someone off the street.

Today can everyone with a big pocket become a pilot, no wonder that there are so much unemployed pilots. They aren´t good enough according to the empolyers.

The authorities will allow anyone that meets or exceeds the minimum requirements for the appropriate licence or ratings to hold such licence or ratings. That does not mean, as you rightly imply, that all holders of such licence or ratings are suitable to fly offshore. That is why testing is performed by the offshore companies.

It's true that there are alot of low-hour pilots that are unemployed. That's why you can call X pilots for testing as opposed to X people off the street. As in this case, I'm sure that you can find 12 suitable candidates out of both groups, while the people off the street would cost the company more to train.

For both the pilot and the company its a win win situation.

In the western world, most employer - employee relations are a win win situation, otherwise they wouldn't exist.

I suspect that the Bond ab-initio scheme is a way to buy publicity. We have already seen that they've got several articles written about it and this very thread seems very popular. Bond probably want to communicate that they are a company investing in people and at the same time showing that they are expanding so heavily that they even need to run this ab-initio scheme.

On the one hand, I'm very positive that this ab-initio scheme is a great opportunity for those candidates that are elected. On the other hand, it's not fair to all low-time pilots with licences that might do just fine on the testing, but never get a chance to even make it to the initial testing. But hey, it's a commercial industry and the operators decide whatever they think is commercially viable, which is probably why Bristow and CHC does not run an ab-initio scheme.

efhfpilot
27th Aug 2007, 13:15
Do Bond offer sponsorship for the IR for pilots who have a JAA CPL?

332mistress
27th Aug 2007, 14:01
efhfpilot - No

Bond has a history of sponsoring pilots who start off as clean slates. They are looking for what they would term as "Bond people" and will select accordingly. They have been very successful at picking the right candidates and have had few failures through this approach.

They are looking for candidates who won't pose a training risk and will be bonded to the company at the end of their training.

It may seem hard on those who have self sponsored but that is life. There are too many CPLs with no IR and few hours. The other companies are crying out for experienced pilots who are captain material so it looks like a good time to leave the services and join the offshore companies with a real chance of being made a Captain quickly - this is what happened to me when I joined - Captain within 6 months.

332M

Windy Pants
1st Sep 2007, 17:06
It's about time that the industry started to show some investment into future pilots, I applaud Bond whole heartedly, it is an absolutely amazing offer and limbs will be bitten off to get on the scheme!

I am surprised though that Bond didn't just dip their toes into the pool of investment rather than dive in head first. I would have expected them to maybe first offer sponsored twin ratings combined with IR to existing self sponsored students (of which I'm in that category). I would have thought that approach would have been a more likely half way house; the student investing a substantial amount and then the employer taking the student onto further ratings and qualifications. This way both the student and employer have shown a level of financial commitment and both have taken a substantial risk and as such both are in a proven partnership to see it through to completion.

If there truly is a shortage of experience pilots/captains out there then this surely needs to be addressed. What we need to put a stop to is this chicken and egg scenario - "need to get a job to gain more hours/can't get a job because I haven't got enough hours" - if this isn't addressed the gap will only get bigger. Operators need to start putting schemes into place to help give the low hour pilots a helping leg up into the industry.

If you read the Ts & Cs on the website they are making it very clear that they want to take you from scratch. A clue is that even if you have passed all your ATPL theory exams, they'd want you to take the ground school and exams all over again, I'd rather not go through that pain again! You also can't apply if you're currently with any other FTO.

At my stage, I'm happy to offer limbs up for sacrifice for my twin and IR rating if someone were to offer it; but I suspect that a reduced number of limbs may be detrimental to my Class 1

If only this was around 7 months ago, I just might have been able to save myself £50K. Hopefully some other operators may follow Bond's lead and start to offer sponsored twin and IR schemes.

As a parting note, I wish that posters wouldn't get flamed for asking what the pay packet is like, I think it's a perfectly legitimate question (but yes of course, it shouldn't be the first and foremost question at an interview!); for the students that have self sponsored themselves through their training they need to know that they are going to be able to pay it off and still not be on the bread line. Just because we will hopefully be doing something we are passionate about doesn't mean that we should tolerate poor pay conditions, after all we are supposed to be "professional" pilots so it's not unreasonable to expect a "professional" level of renumeration. To think that a London Underground Tube driver earns around £31K per year without having to self sponsor and without having to go through as many grueling qualifications, I don't think it's unreasonable to expect a salary that reflects the personal and financial inputs made by a low hour self sponsored pilot. For the majority of people, putting at least £50K on the line is showing enough commitment and drive to be a professional pilot, so lets not try and bring their motivation into question, it's insulting as many of us "have put their money where their mouth is".

pitchlink
1st Sep 2007, 19:13
From my experience, the reason for wanting to sponsor ab initio is so that they can obtain a long term stable workforce. It is better for Bond to be able to tie people into a six year bonding, or whatever the terms are, rather than sponsoring for an IR, bonding for two years at which time the candidates decide they dont like Aberdeen and leave. Either that or they use their experience and move to fixed wing. This is precisely what happened to their early sponsored candidates, 6 out of 8 went over to fixed wing, but not until Bond had already had their 6 years first.
If you already have a CPL but want to be sponsored towards the IR you may well be listened to a bit more if you suggested you would be willing to sign on for at least 5-6 years.

manfromuncle
1st Sep 2007, 19:34
Windy pants

"If only this was around 7 months ago, I just might have been able to save myself £50K."

You spent 50K just getting a JAA CPL?! I hope that includes living/transport/rent etc. If not, you were ripped off.

Windy Pants
1st Sep 2007, 19:53
If you already have a CPL but want to be sponsored towards the IR you may well be listened to a bit more if you suggested you would be willing to sign on for at least 5-6 years.

If getting a twin with IR rating sponsorship means signing up for 5 years, then where do I have to sign.

You spent 50K just getting a JAA CPL?! I hope that includes living/transport/rent etc. If not, you were ripped off.

£50K is the going rate for a Integrated ATPL-H, you won't find an ab-initio course for much less in the UK. Come to think of it there are only a few FTO offering an integrated ATPL course for helicopters and I'm at one of them!

manfromuncle
1st Sep 2007, 20:27
£50k just to get a CPL with 135 hours and the ATPL exams passed?!

Blimey, no wonder everyone is going abroad to train. I got to almost 300 hours with a FI rating and it cost me less than that.

I've never understood why people go the integrated route. Unless they really -need- to be taught in a classroom (ie. can't study at home).

Windy Pants
1st Sep 2007, 21:06
Different circumstance for different people, time is a major factor, it's a very concentrated course. Also there's the fact that employers show a preference to the integrated student rather than the modular. Before I get shot down, I'm not defending this approach just mearly stating an observation. To be exact the course is around £46K if you pay up front. I think it might have gone up a couple of K.

scruggs
1st Sep 2007, 23:09
Bond has a history of sponsoring pilots who start off as clean slates

They stated on their OAT advert that a PPL may prove beneficial as at shows commitment to the industry and ones own career.

I would hardly call a PPL a clean slate. I for one think it’s great they are considering people from a variety of backgrounds with varying experience.

S

Windy Pants
2nd Sep 2007, 10:51
Unless they really -need- to be taught in a classroom
I don't know if that was supposed to be a slight dig :hmm:, but I agree, during many of the hours of sitting in a class I sometimes wished that they just gave us the material to self study; for certain subjects there wasn't much benefit derived from hearing it from someone at the front of the class; but that said there were many times that the instructors filled in many gaps with useful experience. It would be interesting to do an analysis of the number of first time passes and grades between an intensive ground school setup vs a home study approach.

But as I mentioned before many operators like dealing with an established FTO as they will get a report from the school on the candidate, yes, you could argue that the report is not worth the paper it's written on, but on the other hand the school is not doing itself any favors regarding it's reputation if they recommend mediocre students to their operators. So with that bit of knowledge sometimes it's better to maybe pay slightly extra if it gives you boost in the initial stages of your career.

scruggs
4th Sep 2007, 19:58
A few are owning up to being called in on this thread:

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=287874

S

Chukkablade
4th Sep 2007, 20:03
I think it might be a busy few days down there! I wonder how many applied, and how many are being called?

tegwin
4th Sep 2007, 21:38
It appears they have put asside a week to get through all the candidates....

If each candidate is paying around £200......The cheaky sods will be making a fair bit of money out of this wont they?

I cant help feel that almost everyone who applied at stage 1 will have been "asked" to go to stage 2 making it more of a lottery/con job than an actuall application process.....:*

scruggs
4th Sep 2007, 21:54
I cant help feel that almost everyone who applied at stage 1 will have been "asked" to go to stage 2

Comments have been made in the past on the wannabe forums regarding the fixed wing OAT schemes saying that pretty much everyone who meets the outlined criteria for application are invited to Phase 2.

I’m not singling out OAT for attack here, I understand most Flight Training providers do the same thing.

S

Whirlygig
4th Sep 2007, 22:00
But who is going to say that they didn't get through? You can't really tell!

Cheers

Whirls

tegwin
4th Sep 2007, 22:46
I guess you pay your money and take your choice.....

Now then, do I go to testing...Buy 200 lottery tickets, or put the money towards a type rating....hmmm....:ugh:

L A James
5th Sep 2007, 08:25
I'm through too.

Good luck to everyone. See you down there!

L A

dzmay
5th Sep 2007, 18:31
Can anyone point me in the direction of any threads / posts that contain detailed information on the selection process. I would like to be as prepared as i can for the selection.

Daz

Chukkablade
5th Sep 2007, 18:41
I wonder how many who have been called for the second stage actually have a PPL(H) or even just a few hours in the book towards it? Just from the point that, if you don't, what the hell do you actually say when the board ask you why you want to fly helicopters for a living?!?!

I don't think 'Because it looks like a fun challenge' would quite cut it:}

memories of a long ago AIB when they asked why I wanted to join the navy, hence the question!

Taffer
5th Sep 2007, 19:08
I wonder how many who have been called for the second stage actually have a PPL(H) or even just a few hours in the book towards it? Just from the point that, if you don't, what the hell do you actually say when the board ask you why you want to fly helicopters for a living?!?!

As posted on the advertisement for the Bond sponsorship scheme:

Is previous flight training experience or a PPL required?
No. It can sometimes be a useful indicator of an applicant’s interest in flying, although we do understand that many applicants may not have had the means or opportunity to take flying lessons.

I don't think the lack of a PPL(H) or rotary hours should count against a candidate. Fixed-wing training still develops skills relevant in RW flying, and not everyone knows they want to be a helicopter pilot from day one (we all want to be jet jocks when we start - that's how it works, right? :))

As for the military comment - even they start off with FW training!

Chukkablade
5th Sep 2007, 19:12
I hear that Taffer, but regardless of the advert, it's a question your going to get asked. When I joined the R.N., the nice man that came to school also said it didn't matter if we hadn't been on a Yacht before, but I sure as hell got asked why I thought it was for me at the board!

Okay, I'd been Sea Cadets etc beforehand, so I had a bit of a clue, but you get the gist of where I'm going with this! But hey, at £200 a skull going in the coffers, they aren't going to give a crap if you sit there and talk teletubbies, are they:} Kerrrrrchhhhiiiiiing

Taffer
5th Sep 2007, 19:33
Didn't get that question at my AIB - got the standard 'could you take a human life?' one. Boring.....:}

I agree with your point - while no experience is not necessarily a hinderance, anything that you've done to look into your career path or try it out is a bonus.

Chukkablade
5th Sep 2007, 19:44
You got that one to?:O

Do they still do the 'point to the country' thing as well? We had one lad think Iraq was next to India:ugh:

Bravo73
5th Sep 2007, 20:01
Can anyone point me in the direction of any threads / posts that contain detailed information on the selection process. I would like to be as prepared as i can for the selection.

Daz

Daz,

I suggest that you start ploughing through the Wannabes forum and read any thread with 'OAT' in the title.

Use of the search function will also help. Unfortunately, the search function won't pick up 3 letter words (ie OAT) but searching for 'Oxford' and 'selection' should be a good start.

Who knows, the interviewers might even appreciate those who show a bit of initiative... :p

Best of luck with the interviews.

PS To all those knocking the application fee, do you think that these tests are free to run? :confused: Why shouldn't the organisers recover some of their costs?

Martin1234
5th Sep 2007, 20:50
Information regarding OAT testing.

http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=204436&highlight=oxford+testing

If anyone has applied for the Bond ab-initio scheme and has NOT been asked to attend for stage 2, please send me a PM and I will publish how many, if any, PM's I get.

tegwin
6th Sep 2007, 13:28
Sorry to hear that dude!....Its a lottery im sure:=

petethebeat
6th Sep 2007, 13:50
TJF97,

I'm sorry to hear that you didn't get through, and have got a lot of respect for you for having the balls to admit to it, where I'm sure plenty of others would not.

However, I do feel that your criticism of L A James is a little unfair. I think he was merely suggesting to Martin1234 (and anyone else reading this thread) that one might not feel inclined to share such news with a wider audience.

As tegwin says, it's a bit of a lottery. You appear to have plenty of skills and experience neccessary for a career in the aviation industry, and I am sure that this will be recognised sooner or later.

To this end, I wish you all the best,

Pete

Flingingwings
6th Sep 2007, 15:00
FWIW I think many posting on pprune would do well to consider all the users of these forums. More importantly some forum users will no doubt be involved in any selection process. (Be it Bond OAT or where ever)
With a little effort it is not normally that difficult to attach an identity to the user name (especially with a detailed listing). With a selection of poorly worded posts and some play ground back biting and oneupmanship I'd be asking myself some serious questions right now if I was interviewing candidates for this opportunity, And then probing a little deeper during any selection process to see whether it's simply internet bravado or a character trait that may cause later problems :eek:
Perhaps some hoping for future good news should do similar. Nothing worse than realising too late that you've shot yourself in the foot :uhoh:
Not a rant. You either take advice from those you aspire to join or you don't.
Whilst I feel for those who didn't get past stage 1, and wish luck to those attending stage 2. I hope those that get these coveted places DESERVE them.:ok:

AND rapidly editing or deleting posts just proves the point :ugh::ugh:

buzz34
7th Sep 2007, 11:16
Just returned from Hols, and found the Stage 2 Invite in the multitude of spam, anyone know when we are given/pick our dates for that week.
I too suspect that there are going to be a hell of a lot of us.
I've done the OAT selection before and I have to say its bloody good fun!!

L A James
7th Sep 2007, 12:55
Hi Buzz,

We should get our dates by about Weds / Thursday next week apparently.

Regards,

L A

Whirlygig
7th Sep 2007, 15:31
Redeye, you been away? There was a post in between that was deleted (hence flingingwings comment) to which the commiserations apply!!

Cheers

Whirls

212man
7th Sep 2007, 15:39
Flingwings, how true! Not just for this stage of the game either: many pilots would do well to consider the old adage "don't sh*t on people on your way up, as you never know when you may come accross them on your way down!"

Or, perhaps more likely, what those people may say about you to those who you later come to, asking for a job :=

Flingingwings
7th Sep 2007, 16:13
HR - There are at least two posts that the authors have wisely (IMO) removed.

Chukkablade
7th Sep 2007, 19:55
Like Redeye, I never had a chance to read any of the deleted posts.

One things for sure though, to all those who applied for it and got through, bloody good on ya! If I were 15 years younger, I'd have put my own hat in the ring. I'm a bit long in the tooth to be anyones Cadet though:uhoh:

Also, if the numbers getting tested are as low as some have made out, then hats off to Bond as well for keeping it tight. They deserve some serious praise for bringing this scheme to the industry:ok:

Good luck, the lot of you.:O

nickyjsmith
7th Sep 2007, 20:35
Hi all,
Just wondering the age group, as you can guess i'm not the youngest but i got through stage 1 and i've recently passed OAT selection. This was after doing the GAPAN test's at RAF Cranwell and passing those very well.

As long as you've got a decent level of math's and physic's just give it YOUR best, the two day's are about finding out if you have the basic's to go for it.

It's not just about what you know or how you do, OAT will be looking at who you are.

All the best to all of you and enjoy,

Nick.

Propellerhead
8th Sep 2007, 14:23
It's easy to be cynical but welcome to the real world. Surely it's better for more people to get to stage 2 and have a shot at proving themselves. In reality there will be a set number of slots for that week and the best x number of candidates get those slots.

I spent over £1000 on attending aptitude test and interviews (including travel costs) before I secured sponsorship, but now I fly a shiny jet and earn that in less than a week so I think it was a good return on my investment!

You could think of it as another 'filter' - I wouldn't spend £195 unless I was committed. Even if you don't get through the tests are a proven indicator of likelihood of success on a flying course so it's still a worthwhile excercise and could lead to being accepted on a self sponsored course or being considered for other sponsorships in the future.

You can either put your thoughts into how 'unfair' things are or you can devote those energies into revising for the assessment and giving yourself the best possible chance of progressing. I think I know which person is more likely to succeed!

Good luck to all. I didn't walk into my first sponsorship opportunity. I still have a collection of rejection letters to remind me of how hard I worked to get where I am, and the setbacks I had to pick myself of the floor from and move forward to the next opportunity wiser and better prepared.

We all need a bit of 'luck' but to a greater extent the harder you work, and the more determined you are, the 'luckier' you get!!

system
10th Sep 2007, 16:09
could anyone that has alreday done the 2 day testing at oat, give me any idea of what to expect?

cheers

buzz34
10th Sep 2007, 17:32
Expect it to be quite a fun atmosphere it was last time! and nothing to be nervous about really!!
Get onto the BBC Bitesize Maths and Physics websites and brush up on Trig, DST, bearings, SUVAT formulas etc etc...
There is a link in a post above to some other OAT selection revies.
Also try googling Pilapt and Compass as they are the Tests OAT use...(I think!)..
..Hope that helps...has anyone got there dates through yet?

cormac
10th Sep 2007, 19:17
This is really good to know Im 31 and thinking very seriously about a complete career change. Ive taken a couple of test flights which I really enjoyed but have been really nervous about my career prospects given my age. Should I be nervous? Given that I've missed the OATS/Bond deadline do you know if Oats run this course as a standalone CPL(H) ATPL course. Given my home commitments I'm not really in a position to spend 12 months at Bristow( but could manage 4 if I could do the ground school this end) which seems to be the best school especially for those ultimately seeking North sea careers This is what Im guessing from reading various info. It could well be s**t. I would guess that those on this site are sick of these questions but would really appreciate some sound advise

great site by the way

Brilliant Stuff
10th Sep 2007, 21:47
31 is a fine age.Nothing wrong with it.

Yes you can do the CPL on your own so to say but it will cost you up to £80.000 and beyond but don't quote me on that number. Lets put it this way it's a lot of money.

I wish you and all the rest of you the very best of luck with it all.:ok:

Agusta
11th Sep 2007, 09:33
I am 43 and did not get throught stage 2.

I have worked with helicopters for years, I worked on the ramp, in ops and work part time at Oxford Airport; so with that in mined what sort of people are they loking for?

manfromuncle
11th Sep 2007, 09:38
I imagine they are looking for younger people they can 'mould' into their type of employee.

I'm sure you would be an ideal candidate, but it's the "get them while they are young" mentality.

London Derriere
11th Sep 2007, 09:43
I don't think age has much to do with it; I know someone who's 42 who did get through.

There were three questions which had to be answered in around 200 words - I would suggest that there was more emphasis on the answers given to these rather than age.

However, it does seem that a PPL helps!

tegwin
12th Sep 2007, 22:39
Well I had my date for stage 2 assesment through the emails today...

Have I missed some vital piece of information here, is there any more solid information about the scheme, training, career expectations etc?...I was actually expecting a more detailed outline of the scheme with the dates for stage 2 assesment.

I am a bit apprehensive about paying for the assesment when im not totaly sure what I might be letting myself in for:ooh:

I know it sounds trivial, but lets face it, im a tight arse git!

Tortuous Convolulus
13th Sep 2007, 08:42
Not sure which paper i read this in, the details seem to be 3 years offshore, 3 years onshore then a further three years offshore. Called the work experience plan. The paper may be full of it! but people seem to forget it is Bond who are sponsoring so it may not be offshore, it may just be onshore work, as a result the pay may be onshore pay with a different paying off period. I suppose it depends on logistically who needs the pilots more, offshore or onshore.

buzz34
13th Sep 2007, 10:21
Yes, I have read the same as Tortuous, 3,3 and 3. Think it was on another flying website news section but can't remember....

Bravo73
13th Sep 2007, 10:35
3 years, multicrew, offshore. Then 3 years, singlecrew, onshore. Then 3 years, multicrew, offshore.

From a wannabe's POV, it sounds great. But not sure how much sense it makes, operationally... :confused:

I smell a rat. :E

Genie the Greenie
13th Sep 2007, 10:40
Good on ye Bravo73 the more suspicious people are the more will pull out leaving more opportunity for the rest of us who got through.

Bravo73
13th Sep 2007, 10:55
:rolleyes:

From a wannabe's POV, it sounds great.

But, have no fear, GtheG. The bond will be for 9 years. :}

buzz34
13th Sep 2007, 11:20
I concur the more people put off the better!!...MY thinking is nine years is nine years, the "bond" for the military is currently 12-18!!

My biggest worry is how the lucky people are going to find £30k in this environment of rate rises, and insecurity:ugh:

Anyone else heard their dates yet?

BRASSEMUP
13th Sep 2007, 11:56
MY thinking is nine years is nine years, the "bond" for the military is currently 12-18!!

Really!Since when?

Guys you can't have your cake and eat it!!!!! Just say thanks, and think yourself lucky if you get accepted.

Or do it the old way and pay for it all..............:ugh:

L A James
13th Sep 2007, 12:06
I got my dates through this morning.

I agree with Brass, at least the opportunity exists!

L A

petethebeat
13th Sep 2007, 12:27
Yep, got my dates through yesterday evening. Time to get the (now extremely dusty) maths and physics revision books out from the loft I think.

Good luck to everyone who got through to Stage 2, hope to see some of you down there.:ok:

buzz34
13th Sep 2007, 14:25
Brass et al, I think you misunderstand me!!
I am delighted this sponsorship exists and was saing that 9 years really is no biggy for what you are getting(in my opinion!).

Brass I meant that pilots entering the mil (RAF) at the moment are on Permanent Commissions of 18years, or at least thats what my AFCO think!:ugh:

Anyhow Good Luck everyone, I'm going to call up for me dates now!

Buzz

BRASSEMUP
13th Sep 2007, 14:30
Oh no problem.....

Good luck Buzz:ok:

Chukkablade
14th Sep 2007, 15:12
Indeed, the new Mil boys might be getting asked for 12 to 18 years, but it's not comparable. Lets face it, Her Maj isn't asking you for thirty grand of your hard earned money to join:}

buzz34
14th Sep 2007, 16:21
Fair comment Chukka, I guess you pay your money and take your choice..!!

If anyone else has not had their dates yet fear not, I spoke to OAT yesterday and they said they were calling people in batches and expect further dates over the next few days.

Chukkablade
14th Sep 2007, 16:52
Buzz, it's a fantastic opportunity, and if I was the right side of 30, I'd have went for it myself.

Thirty thou is a LOT of money for a young guy of 21/22 to find though, or it would have been for me at that age. Maybe I'm just getting old. The fact these guys can lay their hands on that sort of cash must show some sharps to the interviewers if nothing else. Most of the 21 yr old Pilots I knew when I was Mil couldn't have found £30 if you'd pressed them for it:}

Kudos to Bond though for running the scheme, and it'll be interesting to see if others in the trade follow suit to get some more new blood in.:ok:

buzz34
14th Sep 2007, 17:36
Chukka, Tell me about it!

If I am lucky enough to land this scheme I will find it hard to find that kind of cash, I will however have a damn good go!!!
I know I for one am expecting after todays news stories, to be laughed out of a bank having asked for £30k to fly helicopters!
I actually know a chap who funded his motor-racing career by selling shares in himself....he raised quite a bit!:)

But you're correct it is no doubt the best chance to come a lot of peoples ways and you'd be mad not to grab it with EVERYTHING!

snowy_owl
26th Sep 2007, 13:10
Has anyone been through the stage 2 selection yet?

buzz34
26th Sep 2007, 13:12
Nope I'm on Sunday....would be interested to hear how many people are getting chopped on the first day though!

snowy_owl
27th Sep 2007, 16:06
Just arrived here at OAT, and i must say that the accomodation is really very nice!!

Anyone else kicking around here tonight?

O27PMR
27th Sep 2007, 18:27
Snowy Owl - Was hoping to stay but ended up commuting. Might see you if you're there tomorrow though.

Buzz - Just completed day 1 and 6 out of 16 are going through to day 2. I don't know how this compares to other days???

snowy_owl
27th Sep 2007, 18:30
Wow 10 people didn't get through to day two! My day 1 starts tomorrow at 13:00.

L A James
28th Sep 2007, 08:42
Good luck guys, I've had to pull out for unfortunate family reasons and am devastated.

Snowy, PMR, Buzz etc. - all the best. Let us know how you get on.

Regards,

L A

buzz34
28th Sep 2007, 08:54
Snowy, nice edit! I wonder if you're nervous about the maths tests now!!!!
L A, thats terrible news, I had to pull out of a similar scheme a few years ago due to the same reason. Hopefully other schemes will start popping up to allow you to try again.
Hope the famiy stuff sorts itself out.
Buzz

Brilliant Stuff
28th Sep 2007, 17:35
Good Luck to you all.:ok::ok::ok::ok::ok:

snowy_owl
28th Sep 2007, 18:57
Pffft what maths lol.... Today was really enjoyable, surprised how i did on COMPASS test, so i guess i need to read what bond's all about for tomorrow.

:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Fully Coupled
1st Oct 2007, 21:36
Has anyone got through??????????????

electric69
2nd Oct 2007, 03:05
Just a quick question for you guys applying for the sponsorship with Bond. Are you applying for the sponsorship because of financial restraints or has it got to do with the course/company/training involved. I am a 21 year old trainee but self funded and im just wondering what made you guys go down that route?

buzz34
2nd Oct 2007, 10:10
Yeah, for me it was the potential of a job with Bond after the training, and in the grand scheme of things £30k for what is on offer is a bargain!
I got through to day 2 despite a shocking Physics test result:ugh:, had a good interview score, but mediocre team excercise results, so I am not expecting to be called to final interviews.:{
I was surprised to learn there were only c150 initial applications!

Bravo73
2nd Oct 2007, 10:18
Imagine, a couple of years offshore followed by a couple of years VIP, followed by EMS, SAR and then back again.

Out of interest, is this what the Bond representative told you on Day 1?

buzz34
2nd Oct 2007, 10:25
Bravo,
We didn't meet anyone from Bond. Oat gave us a short chat at the start of Day 1, but this was just to talk us through the tests. We were not given any info about the Sponsorship,funding or bonding periods, plenty of rumours flying about but nothing of substance.

Bravo73
2nd Oct 2007, 10:59
Buzz34/Laggie,

Thanks for the feedback.

I know that it's not what you want to hear but please bear in mind that operational requirements are often far, far removed from wannabes' aspirations.

If the company has gone to the effort (and especially the cost) of training you to operate a particular aircraft in a particular way (ie multi-crew, AS332/EC225) then it is very unlikely that, in the short term, they will go to extra cost to train you on to a different aircraft in a different environment (ie SPIFR EC135). I'm not saying that it's impossible, just very unlikely. (I don't want to sound patronising but are you even aware that a multi-pilot IR is different to a single-pilot IR?)

Also please bear in mind that there will already be a queue of offshore pilots in front of you who would also like to come onshore. I imagine that seniority will get preference.

Best of luck with the process though.

buzz34
2nd Oct 2007, 11:12
Bravo,

If I got this sponsorship I would be more than happy for Bond to put me wherever they flipping well liked, offshore,onshore,Single crew, multi-crew, I can assure you I would not be complaining either way!

Laggies info seems to good to be true to me.
£500/week whilst training. Surely thats going to be £500 a month??

TAG2000
2nd Oct 2007, 11:33
Hi Guys its 500per month.

Bravo73
2nd Oct 2007, 20:19
Bravo: Of course, offshore for maybe 5 years. But then I would guess you can apply for onshore, maybe vip. Then after 10 years apply for sar/ems.
They are probably more likely to get someone whos been working for them a singel IR then someone from the street. And by then you´ll have the required hours.

Laggie,

I suggest that you do a lot more research about the work Bond do. (This is the second time that you have mentioned 'vip'. I know that they mention it on their website but, FYI, Bond Air Services are currently not very big players on the onshore UK charter market.)

Pay particular attention to what each job actually involves and how keen operators are to have specialists for certain jobs, not 'generalists'. Also have a look at the different payscales for Bond Offshore and Bond Air Services. Then, maybe you'll start to understand why few pilots actually want to make the move from offshore to onshore.

IIRC, one of the Bond Offshore pilots posted earlier on this thread. Maybe he can help you out with your research...

Fully Coupled
2nd Oct 2007, 21:17
Bravo 73 you seem to be contradicting yourself in that you state that there is a queue of offshore pilots who wish to go onshore and will get preference through seniority then in your next post say that they probably won't want to because of the different pay structures!
There is no queue!

Whilst 'currently not big players in the onshore UK charter market', Bond Offshore have flown several VIP trips, unless personages such as the Prime Minister don't fall into your category of VIP!

TeeS
2nd Oct 2007, 22:29
OK, here goes for what it is worth! A very small amount of inside knowledge and an awful lot of my opinion, so no guarantees.

If you are selected for this scheme, I suspect that you already know that you will be expected to put in an absolute minimum of 100% effort during initial training. On completion of the basic training in the USA, I believe you will be doing an EC135 conversion and IR with Bond Air Services at Staverton. This is a huge leap in technology and workload, if you work your socks off and are a reasonably switched on cookie, there will just be sufficient time to get up to the standard for the IR! Feeling tired yet?

OK, quick breather then start next conversion onto another machine. Obvious choice is the 332 for offshore work, but who knows what the next couple of years will bring! Up to this point it will be important to smile, be keen, perform well, keep cheerful – reports from your instructors will almost certainly have some affect on your future career path.

Now, settle down to a few years of work as a co-pilot and learn the trade. Don’t upset anyone, you will meet some people that will wind you up beyond belief, it happens wherever you go – just smile and get on with the job. Take every opportunity to volunteer for work that is out of the ordinary. North Sea Operations do not lend themselves to variety so when a chance comes up grab it. In the days of ‘Old Bond,’ pilots tended to move from ‘BAD’ (the big helicopter division) to ‘SAD’ (the small helicopter division) once they had proved that they could cope without a home life, stay happily in a dubious hotel without throwing a tantrum, and function out of site of management for a couple of weeks without screwing up!!

At some stage, I suspect that future options will be discussed. Some may stay as a co-pilot for a bit longer, some may progress to North Sea command (and a hefty pay rise) and some may get the option to transfer to BAS to work HEMS/Police/Lighthouses and whatever else we are doing. The transfer to BAS would not produce much of a pay rise I suspect, but this is the best time to make the move so that you do not get used to the Stratospheric North Sea Captain’s pay scales! These choices will be very much decided by your aspirations and your performance/attitude over the next few years, so make sure you start off committed and keep going. Oh, by the way, you can enjoy it too!

I look forward to seeing you in the crew room sometime.

Good luck.

TeeS

Bravo73
2nd Oct 2007, 22:45
Bravo 73 you seem to be contradicting yourself in that you state that there is a queue of offshore pilots who wish to go onshore and will get preference through seniority then in your next post say that they probably won't want to because of the different pay structures!
There is no queue!

You're right. On reflection, I should've said 'if' any pilots want to come onshore.

Whilst 'currently not big players in the onshore UK charter market', Bond Offshore have flown several VIP trips, unless personages such as the Prime Minister don't fall into your category of VIP!

I guess that you're refering to the electioneering trips from a few years ago. Laggie's mention of 'onshore, maybe vip' hardly encompasses those very rare trips. (You'll also notice that my original post actually states "Bond Air Services are currently not very big players in the...". No mention of Offshore on my part.)

All I've tried to do is inject a sense of reality in to what would appear to be several wannabes' dreams of the future. The bottom line is that the cadets are going to go straight on to NS crew change duties. After a couple of years, some of them might get moved onto Jigsaw. And, as TeeS has outlined, after a few more years, some might be given the opportunity to move onshore. But there's certainly no chance of '2 years here, then 2 years there then 2 years over there'.

From your profile, Fully Coupled, it looks like you might be a current Bond Offshore pilot. Are you?

chc&proud
3rd Oct 2007, 07:45
I have been reading this thread with some interest. In Norway CHC HS have not problems attracting qualified applicants. The normal minimum level of qualification is 1.000 flight hours in helicopters, including the ATPL H theory exam passed.

The background of our applicants is varied, with a mix of military and civilian from within the EU/EEA. Flight hours typically ranging from 1.000-2.500hrs. In some isolated (2-3) instances HS have accepted applicants with 700-800hrs.

HS have hired 28 pilots the last 1 1/2 years, and 15 more applicants have been invited to join the company, with a planned recruitment of an additional 70 pilots in the next 27 months.

What might the reason for Bond needing to establish a recruitment regime like the one discussed on this thread? It seems it would involve lots of work and resources for the company?

The main difference between Bond and the other operators in the North Sea is that Bond does not have a recognized pilot union nor a collective labour agreement between BALPA and the company , as far as I know. Many European pilots would consider this a disadvantage, for a number of reasons:

1. The pilot does not have protection in matters of harassment or unfair delays in upgrade to the position of Commander, unfair change of base, type or operation. Spending money on laywers out of your own wallet is not an option for most people.
2. Terms and condition will change or not change, depending on management desicions, not negotiated agreements. Bond would typically shadow Bristows and CHC Scotia?
Bonding is fun when you get started, but grows old after a few years, so deliberate carefully before signing the dotted line.
How many pilots does Bond plan on recruiting each year through this scheme?

snowy_owl
3rd Oct 2007, 08:05
I believe that this is a one-off scheme recruiting 12 people in the end. The difference with the process is that Bond get to have the pilots trained from Ab-Initio to their requirements and standards.

Also from this selection they can chose who will potentially make the best pilots, as (no offence to anyone) sometimes the experienced pilots may not have the better aptitude and handling of the helicopter.

Just my thoughts on that! - Plus its a huge oppertunity for someone to get a helicopter job who could otherwise not afford it!

*edit* - Just adding to this instead of writing a new post -

How many people do you think will have got through to the Bond interviews? - i guess that 48 people got through to the second day at OAT (unless anyone was on a selection period where less than 6 people got through) - so do you think they'll half that again for the Bond interviews, and then systematically half that for the 12 candidates?

Rotorchic
3rd Oct 2007, 08:31
I have watched this thread with interest over the past couple of weeks.

Great opportunity for those wanting to be pursue a career in aviation, and Bond would seem a good fit, shame about the personalities there.

snowy_owl
3rd Oct 2007, 08:50
shame about the personalities there.

How do you mean?

DMackie
3rd Oct 2007, 09:36
Does anyone know if Bristow or CHC plan to follow suit?

TeeS
3rd Oct 2007, 11:15
Hey Chic, my analyst says that both of my personalities are fine, thanks very much!! :}

Laggie, my post was not intended to put anyone off, far from it. The deal is an excellent one, but the learning curve will require plenty of late nights.

TeeS

332mistress
3rd Oct 2007, 12:22
TeeS's post has got it right.

This is an excellent deal for those who want to join the offshore world, but don't confuse Bond Offshore with Bond Onshore they are 2 different companies albeit owned by the same family.

Compared to CHC - Scotia and Bristows Bond Offshore, for whom the cadets will be working, are relatively small having 5 offshore 332L2s and 2 SAR config 332L2s. They mainly work for BP.

Your work will be radial bashing out of Aberdeen for maybe 5yrs before anything else happens to you. The chance of becoming a EMS/Police pilot will be slim mainly because you won't have any experience apart from loads of straight and level auto pilot in hours. If you are lucky you may do about 100 rig landings a year (800hrs max/yr - 4hr average trip - if lucky get half the landings!)

I wish you all the best of luck but don't expect excitement as the passengers don't like it:E. It is very rewarding when you do the job in bad weather to the laid down limits but be prepared for 4hr+ conversations about trivia when it is sunny and you are used to the flight routine;)

332M

Bravo73
3rd Oct 2007, 12:23
It´s hard to find accurate information on how big of a player Bond really are in the different areas.

If you are struggling with your research, Laggie, have you tried either searching or asking on here? This sort of info is one of PPRuNe's great strengths.

But my own very basic analysis is as follows:

Bond Air Services (Air Ambulance) - Big 'player' in the UK market.
Bond Offshore - Small/medium 'player', but growing.
Bond Air Services ('Executive Charter') - Very small 'player'.

This is, of course, just IMO though.

And FYI, SAR and EMS are 2 very different disciplines. They shouldn't really be grouped together.

Floppy Link
3rd Oct 2007, 16:56
...Bond Air Services (Air Ambulance)...

should read

Bond Air Services ( Air Ambulance, Police and Lighthouse Support)

as well as air ambulances all over the country Bond also have contracts with Strathclyde Police, South Wales Police, Trinity House and the Northern Lighthouse Board

nickyjsmith
3rd Oct 2007, 17:37
Hi All,

Just wondered how people have been getting on, any idea how many have passed stage 2.

All the best.

Bravo73
3rd Oct 2007, 18:06
should read

No, it shouldn't. But thanks anyway. :ok:

Edited to add: But, if you do want to put words into my mouth, how about this:

Bond Air Services (Air Ambulance) - Big 'player' in the UK market.
Bond Air Services (Lighthouse Support) - The only player(?)
Bond Offshore - Small/medium 'player', but growing.
Bond Air Services (Police Contracts) - Small 'player'.
Bond Air Services ('Executive Charter') - Very small 'player'.

:ok:

chcoffshore
3rd Oct 2007, 18:44
Snowy Owl.........................

Also from this selection they can chose who will potentially make the best pilots, as (no offence to anyone) sometimes the experienced pilots may not have the better aptitude and handling of the helicopter.

Ha Ha Ha!!!!!!!!!:eek: Oh dear. With experience comes spare capacity to deal with young fellow 'm' lads like you!

But at the end of the day good luck and think about what you are about to do not the future. Bond are doing this for a reason. CHC don't need too and Bristows who knows........

At the end of the day look after your work force and pay them enough and they will stay!

Propellerhead
3rd Oct 2007, 18:47
Snowy Owl,

I guess the final number will depend on the number of people that Bond would like to interview, but it may also vary slightly by the quality of candidates. I don't think Oxford will want to send forward any candidates who they doubt have the ability or motivation to succeed. On the other hand if the standard is very high they may want to send a larger selection for Bond to make the final selection on. Just my guess really.

If you think that 48 went for stage 2 and there are 12 places then 1 in 4 are actually really good odds. Out of the 48 you might be surprised at how few have done really well at everything, so being a bit weak in one area might not finish someone's chances. Good Luck.

Brilliant Stuff
3rd Oct 2007, 19:04
And they are actively going after other Police contracts.

Fully Coupled
3rd Oct 2007, 20:35
Bravo 73 yes I am a current Bond Offshore Pilot.

I applaud you trying to give the wannabees the reality of the industry. The successful candidates are going to be in for a tough 18 months or so. The standards are high, just as they are in all three companies up here, and they are going to have to go throuh all the hurdles and pressures that most of us have had to do to get where we are.

You are right that Bond Offshore is growing, slow but sure, and it is a good company to work for. I personally am impressed with the people that I work with from support staff through groundcrew, engineers and pilots. It is a good work environment. There are grumbles like anywhere else but generally I believe most are happy with their lot.

Snowy Owl I wish you the best in your endevours but I would say listen to CHCoffshore. We experienced pilots may not have better apptitude and handling of the aircraft than an 18 year old from Hertfordshire, but we could probably show you a thing or two.

Bravo73
3rd Oct 2007, 20:51
Bravo 73 yes I am a current Bond Offshore Pilot.

In that case, I'm sure that you won't mind answering the various wannabes' questions on what to expect from life as a Bond Offshore pilot... :D:D:D

:ok:

snowy_owl
3rd Oct 2007, 22:46
and handling of the aircraft than an 18 year old from Hertfordshire, but we could probably show you a thing or two.

I'm not saying you couldn't, i was trying to say that bond may be looking for people with a high aptitude to learn quicker and therefore be better for the company in the long run! - instead of hiring 12 people who already have CPL(h) but are set in their ways!

Whirlygig
3rd Oct 2007, 22:53
Candidates with a CPL(H) were not eligible.

Cheers

Whirls

snowy_owl
4th Oct 2007, 18:04
Candidates with a CPL(H) were not eligible.

Yeah, i was just replying to CHC&proud's question of why is bond doing it.

chcoffshore
4th Oct 2007, 20:09
Set in their ways????????????????? Oh i suppose you can't teach an old dog new tricks!:mad: to you young man! Wake up...................You never stop learning or converting to more complicated aircraft once your in the offshore world.

snowy_owl
4th Oct 2007, 21:21
:ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh::ugh:

subarup1
8th Oct 2007, 12:54
Well that killed an interesting thread didn't it peeps, was enjoying picking up bits of info on Bond, and peoples opinions on this sponsorship.

Bravo73
8th Oct 2007, 13:03
If you've got any questions about Bond, subarup1, don't be afraid to ask.

As you already know, there are a couple of current Bond pilots on this thread who might be able to help with your enquiries.

332mistress
8th Oct 2007, 13:04
It has gone quiet on this thread - I wonder if some of the posters have had bad news. Shame if they had as it is a wonderful opportunity for the right guys to get a start in the industry.

332M

Bravo73
8th Oct 2007, 13:05
it is a wonderful opportunity for the right guys to get a start in the industry.

And girls, of course... ;)

snowy_owl
8th Oct 2007, 13:12
Its just a waiting game now, i haven't heard anything since the two day selection at OAT!

I wonder what would be involved in the Bond interview, if they use the sim or whatever?!

332mistress
8th Oct 2007, 14:20
Bravo 73

You know one thing that seems to be prevalent in the offshore industry is the derision that PC comments receive. We are a mature body of pilots and a comment such as "guys" we know refers to everybody!

We don't have the time or inclination to go down the route of refering to every gender persuasion be it be male/female/hetero/homo/trans gender or eunuch - they are all guys in this industry.

332M

Bravo73
8th Oct 2007, 14:49
332mistress,

I wasn't doing it to be 'PC'.

I was doing it to save you getting a slap from either of the Whirlies or Blind (amongst others...). :ok:

Pity about your knee-jerk reaction though.

PS BTW, your 'audience' in this thread isn't other NS pilots.

buzz34
8th Oct 2007, 15:50
332mistress,

Don't think any of the chaps that go to day 2 are expecting to find anything out final interview wise until Wednesday at the ABSOLUTE earliest, although most have an idea of how they've done so far!:bored:
I think we are all playing the waiting game, quielty praying! (I know I am!)

Whirlygig
8th Oct 2007, 17:26
No slap from me! (unless you'd like one of course!) :} I'm big enough and beautiful enough to take it!!!

Actually, I didn't even notice and take the word "guys" to be all-encompassing! If I'm individually referred to as a bloke though, I tend to take exception on the basis that my profile makes it screamingly obvious which sex I am! :D

Cheers

Whirls

332mistress
8th Oct 2007, 17:51
Hello Whirlygig

Glad you are not PC;) - guys is exactly as you say all encompassing as for your offer!

"No slap from me! (unless you'd like one of course!) "

! don't think the old ticker would last til my next class one medical if I took you up on it, but thank you for making me smile - and if I was a young co-pilot who knows:E

332M

Chukkablade
8th Oct 2007, 21:37
It's been good going back and reading over this thread again, catching up on the trials and tribulations of those who made it, and those who didn't.

One thing is for sure though, after reading the training schedule the young lads(and laddesses) are going to go through, they better have their 'hard work' head on. They'll need it. This doesn't look like any walk in the park, not that I think anyone would think it was, and if you've only ever been in Uni and/or had a normal 9-5 job, you might find the work commitment needed over many months a bit overwhelming!

Brilliant scheme though. Bring on some more:O

snowy_owl
10th Oct 2007, 15:57
anyone heard anything yet?!

mash240
10th Oct 2007, 16:22
Ive had nothing :(

TAG2000
11th Oct 2007, 08:29
hi guys,

I've been told that we will find out on Friday. Fingers crossed.

Tag

Bravo73
12th Oct 2007, 16:05
Commiserations, Laggie. Keep your chin up and better luck next time.

snowy_owl
12th Oct 2007, 16:06
Laggie - I'm really sorry to hear that!! :bored::bored: Selection was certainly tough at oxford, especially the personality profiling bit, i thought that'd catch me out!

Anyone else got an email yet, i just got mine a minute ago! Guess i'll be really begging the bankers for some money now! :sad:

snowy_owl
12th Oct 2007, 17:08
That's a very good outlook laggie - best of luck with the career!

mash240
12th Oct 2007, 17:23
Ive also had my email - wont be going thru to stage 3 :(

Have to say tho, it was a great experience.

I wouldnt have bought that lesson in a R22 if i hadnt of gone for it - now all I can think about is saving up for my next lesson in a robbie, not of a cessna :}

Laggie - unlucky mate

Snowy owl - well done

Btw laggie, which days did you attend oxford?

buzz34
12th Oct 2007, 21:16
Hey chaps, I also got the chop today:{
Kind of knew it was coming given my poor Physics score. Just so angry with myself as I know I could have done better, but was stupidly under-prepared on a few things.
Best of luck to those going through to final interviews!

nickyjsmith
14th Oct 2007, 15:32
Hi All,
Got my email,didn't make it, there go my savings ! All the best to those who got to stage 3.

snowy_owl
14th Oct 2007, 15:48
Well the majority of people who got through must be people who read this site and don't add to it!! :hmm:

I only know of one other person who got through, come on peeps, don't be shy!

nickyjsmith
14th Oct 2007, 16:08
Snowy,

Yeh, people do seem to be a bit shy, i knew mine was an outside chance, as i'm an old git but i was pleased to have made it through stage 1.
I had already been to OAT so didn't need to attend,pitty because i didn't do as well as i could even though i passed, i should have done better.
I did much better at the RAF tests through GAPAN, the apptitude test's were much harder and more comprehensive there from a piloting point of view(no physics/math's test, which i got 100% on both). Have you applied for the RAF?

Let us know how you get on at Bond.

All the best,

Nick.

John Keynes
15th Oct 2007, 16:51
Just out of curiosity, who does work for Bond if we have a question of two?

Bravo73
15th Oct 2007, 17:06
yes I am a current Bond Offshore Pilot.

So FC should be able to help...

Fully Coupled
15th Oct 2007, 21:26
A few people have already been in contact with me and have been given the information requested. I am more than happy to supply anyone any info. I am away for a few days but will respond asp.

garn
16th Oct 2007, 11:44
I was wondering if the guys who braved the bond sponsorship would be willing to give us an insight into what happend at each stage. things like exams and intereviews etc.
I think it would be a great help to people (and myself) who are looking at trying out for the May 2008 sponsorship.

Well done to all the people who have made it that step futher and i hope to see the people who didnt make it at the May 2008 attempt!:ok:

Pandalet
16th Oct 2007, 12:06
Is there going to be another intake in May? I did contact OAT to ask whether there would be, and they said that it was a one-off.

Anyone have any further info?

mash240
16th Oct 2007, 12:16
My understanding is that bond are taking on 12 pilots from this, 4 to start in January, 4 to start in May and 4 to start in September.

I dont think they are doing seperate assessments for each of the start dates.

Dont quote me on that though

Iain-M
16th Oct 2007, 12:26
I failed day 1 of stage 2 (aptitude tests). I have since written and asked what the situation is and was told Bond don't yet know how many pilots they are going to take from this selection. I'm guessing they would try and take as many as possible though.

Garn- day 1 at stage 2 is aptitude tests. You spend either the morning or afternoon at OAT and call at 5pm to find out if you're through to day 2 or not. Aptitude includes a maths paper, physics paper, using a joy stick and rudder pedals, memory task, multi tasking test and personality questionnaire. Can't help you with day 2 but i'm sure someone else will.

All the best if you decide to go for it, it certainly seems a great scheme. I wont be allowed to apply again so it's the self-sponsored route for me!

mash240
16th Oct 2007, 12:47
Much to my disbelief, i passed the aptitude tests and did day 2.

Day 2 basically involves team exercises and group discussions followed by an informal interview.

At the end of the day they give you a debrief on how you've done overall and let you know weather or not they think you will get through to stage 3 (final interviews).

This obviously means that when you get your confirmation by email you already have a pretty good idea of what its going to say.

Taffer
16th Oct 2007, 16:24
The Stage 2 testing was run by OAT - there are PLENTY of posts on the sponsorship forums about what it involves. The only difference with the Bond selection was the removal of the sim ride from the assessment - still £195 for the pleasure though!

For those who've done any military selection, it's like OASC, or AIB/RCB and Aptitude testing compressed into 2 days, only with less shouting and physical activity.

I'll be heading up to the Granite City for Stage 3, after stopping off at the bank to rob it, err, I mean discuss loan options. :}

K48
17th Oct 2007, 11:17
It's a valid question if you are making a life plan/investment.
I hear through a grapevine about £35k for starters, perhaps with training costs deducted depending on lots of things.. IR/No IR.. etc.

John Keynes
23rd Oct 2007, 14:09
Has anyone heard anything from Bond as to when the interviews are going to be? OAT said they'd be confirmed with 7-10 days 2 weeks ago(ish) but nothing (that I know of) has been mentioned.

Thanks, JK.

snowy_owl
23rd Oct 2007, 17:29
Hiya, i was just about to ask everyone aswell!!

At least we know it's not just us not recieving one if you get what i mean!

BusinessMan
25th Oct 2007, 15:57
Anyone heard anything?

snowy_owl
25th Oct 2007, 16:43
Nothing whatsoever!! Even emailed claire to ask about, so now i'm technically waiting for two emails!!! :hmm:

O27PMR
25th Oct 2007, 17:19
Snowy Owl

Make your mind up...

On 12th October you said:

"Laggie - I'm really sorry to hear that!! :bored::bored: Selection was certainly tough at oxford, especially the personality profiling bit, i thought that'd catch me out!

Anyone else got an email yet, i just got mine a minute ago! Guess i'll be really begging the bankers for some money now! :sad:"

Now you say you haven't heard anything???

snowy_owl
25th Oct 2007, 17:23
O27PMR - I heard i got through to stage 3 - now people who got that email are waiting for the email with the dates for stage 3!

snowy_owl
25th Oct 2007, 22:32
We should expect a reply within the next 2-3 days!! - i got a reply to the email i sent :)

snowy_owl
29th Oct 2007, 10:53
Anyone heard anything yet? i'm hoping we'll get an email by the end of today! But i thought that for all the previous days too! :\

subarup1
30th Oct 2007, 22:47
Easy snowy, good things come to those that wait, and wait!! Cant be much longer now..............

L A James
31st Oct 2007, 14:30
I feel your pain Snowy and wish I was in your shoes!

I've been monitoring this thread ever since I had to pull out of phase 1 selection for family reasons and I am almost as eager to know the outcome as you are!

Good luck to you all.

L A

Tortuous Convolulus
31st Oct 2007, 16:47
Just re-iterating la james, good luck to those with interviews. Good idea now to find out about the company, polish up your interview techniques from books you can borrow at the library, make sure your shoes are clean. Prepare yourself for possible questions, why you instead of the other guys, what do you bring etc.

snowy_owl
5th Nov 2007, 12:40
According to the 'planned timeline' we should be having interviews right about now!!

Anyone heard anything yet? Apparently bond are trying to get the rosta sorted for us.

Anonymous_Post
5th Nov 2007, 14:22
In relation to the waiting for the interviews, a message has been forwarded to from another user about the process!!

It may just be a rumour, but hust thought it's best others should know what has been said!

*******, it's all in the message. However:

They chose the people so soon because they knew what they wanted.
I know about it all, because I know someone who went to stage 2, passed, got the hush hush phone call and went to Aberdeen and did the stage 3 interview. All this before the rejects were told. He was told, explicitly, by OAT, that the stage 3 interviews were to be done BEFORE the reject one's went out. So to keep quiet.

I have no affiliation with Bond or OAT. I simply did not wish to see you posting on the thread asking questions, while others were having a chuckle at your, or other hopefullss, expense. Thats not on.
Bloody good luck in all that you do

snowy_owl
5th Nov 2007, 15:12
Woooo finally a date and time :):):):):):)

BasilFaulty
5th Nov 2007, 19:50
Anonymous Post : What are you trying to say?

Are you saying Bond has selected their chosen few already, and are just interviewing the remaining 'no-hopers' as a matter of course?

Whirlygig
5th Nov 2007, 19:54
Makes sense to me. Why tell those who didn't get through initially until those who did get through have accepted? Happens widely in recruitment. Those invited for stage 3 interviews may not have a) wanted to go in the end b) decided they couldn't afford it or c) failed the interview.

Therefore, I would imagine Bond would go back to OAT and ask about the others.

Cheers

Whirls

BasilFaulty
5th Nov 2007, 20:05
Can anyone enlighten us any further?

Anonymous_Post
5th Nov 2007, 20:05
Well as i say, i recieved this message from someone else, so i don't know if they were just trying to stir things or had a sore-spot!

But dates were recieved tonight and therefore i doubt that they'd have people pay out for medicals and travel to aberdeen just to have some sort of formality in underhandidly accepted people before the set interviews!!

2STROPS
6th Nov 2007, 11:56
"But dates were recieved tonight and therefore i doubt that they'd have people pay out for medicals and travel to aberdeen just to have some sort of formality in underhandidly accepted people before the set interviews!!"

You may think that but I can't possibly comment;)

G-HALE
6th Nov 2007, 13:38
Look lads, no one has been picked yet! Trust me.
Best of luck to everyone.
I look foward to meeting the people who get through selection.
Ive opted not to go any further with the bond scheme and have taking out a loan and am starting in bristow academy in a few months to do FAA PPL/IR/CPL/CFI/CFII and JAA ATPL theroy,JAA CPL,JAA CFI(H269/R22) and external load course :ok: Cant wait to start

snowy_owl
6th Nov 2007, 13:57
good luck at bristow and i hope to see you there!!

snowy_owl
12th Nov 2007, 23:08
Good luck to everyone for tomorrow, i may see a few of you there as my interview is in the morning!

Passed my 1st class medical today so hopefully its the start of a successful two days!!!

SO

Lightning_Boy
15th Nov 2007, 16:40
Snowy.......you've been quiet for a few days and I'm starting to worry. I've been having sleepless nights.....Have they offered you a command position yet?

snowy_owl
15th Nov 2007, 17:10
Hi,

did you have your interview on tuesday? I haven't heard anything yet, hoping we'll all hear by the end of the week.

It'll be nice to hear about it sooner rather than later!

SO

Iain-M
15th Nov 2007, 20:48
From the local paper, Press & Journal.

BOND SEEING BENEFITS OF PROJECT JIGSAW

08:50 - 15 November 2007
Bond Offshore Helicopters said in its latest annual report, just released by Companies House, that its third year of trading was a period of consolidation following the successful start of search-and-rescue services for BP in early 2006.

The company, which has its principal operating base in Aberdeen, with headquarters in Gloucestershire, won a 10-year contract - thought to be worth £100million - to provide two helicopters under BP's Project Jigsaw scheme.

The Bond directors said the number of hours its aircraft flew in the year to March 31 rose by 17% year-on-year, mainly because of the first full year of the BP contract.

They also said the firm's staffing increased to 150, from 114 at March 31, 2006, with new pilots and engineering apprentices coming on board.

The directors also say they are planning to start a pilot training scheme to bring new pilots into the industry.

The accounts show the company returned to profit after start-up costs relating to the search-and-rescue contract saw it fall into losses.

Bond Offshore made pre-tax profits of £2.05million in the year to March 31, against losses of £691,000 the previous year. It paid dividends of £250,000 compared with nil a year earlier. Turnover for the year was £37.95million, up from £28.34million the year before.

What are the chances of cadets going straight onto Jigsaw?

212man
15th Nov 2007, 22:11
What are the chances of cadets going straight onto Jigsaw?

Shouln't be any worse than the chances BHL cadets had to go straight to SAR (when they had the contract). It was quite common, after a period on the line in Aberdeen to get time on type (250 hours I think.)

O27PMR
15th Nov 2007, 22:16
Iain

I would suggest the chances of the new cadets going straight into Jigsaw would be pretty slim but it's possible I guess?

Is SAR the best place to put a newly qualified pilot? Views from current SAR guys welcome...

PR

snowy_owl
19th Nov 2007, 16:08
Howdy,

Just out of curiousity was anyone told roughly how long it'd be until we heard from the company?

212man
20th Nov 2007, 00:13
Bond offered me a command position with only 200 hours TT
:confused::confused::confused:

snowy_owl
20th Nov 2007, 13:18
Fair enough, they mentioned to me the end of last week!! Oh well.

SO

snowy_owl
20th Nov 2007, 13:23
Yeah, i believe that the last 11 people had their interview on tuesday, and of course 10 people had it a while back!

i'm not going by the OAT timeline lol!

good luck with your results of the process!

SO

OffshoreHeli
22nd Nov 2007, 17:11
Bond offered me a command position with only 200 hours TT

Eh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Flying what. Do I know you?

snowy_owl
23rd Nov 2007, 10:32
Anybody heard anything yet??

I'm still waiting!

BasilFaulty
27th Nov 2007, 19:20
Its all gone quiet?

O27PMR
29th Nov 2007, 08:10
This thread really has died:zzz:

snowy_owl
29th Nov 2007, 10:53
Well some of us are still waiting to hear how we got on! :hmm:

snowy_owl
30th Nov 2007, 21:31
Yeah i got my letter too!! - - :rolleyes: not good news unfortunately!!

but on the other hand, if it took them almost three weeks to get a paragraph long letter out, then it makes you wonder what they'll be like sorting out the scheme fully :hmm:

BusinessMan
30th Nov 2007, 22:39
Snowy, bad luck mate, I'm honestly gutted for you - I've had my fair share of letters like that and they are always a real kick somewhere painful.

However, you've kept this thread alive for a long time now, there're a lot of (quiet) people (me clearly included) who've followed it with interest as a result of your openness and it took guts for you to take that to conclusion by posting the bad news. I wish you the absolute best of luck for future schemes.

Happy birthday by the way ;)

BM

snowy_owl
1st Dec 2007, 08:10
Cheers BM, that's greatly appreciated!

SO

Taffer
1st Dec 2007, 15:24
Unlucky Snowy, I got the same news too..............:uhoh:

I've been offered a new (non-flying) job which has taken the sting out of it a bit, but I think I'll stay on the lookout for other sponsorship schemes (rotary or fixed-wing freight, but preferably not pax flying).

Snowy, did you say you were applying to the RN as well? If so, best of luck with that, and beware the chop!

nickyjsmith
1st Dec 2007, 16:27
Guy's,

Sorry to hear your news, i hope it works out for all of you.
Snowy if you are up for it, flying in the Navy will be excellent, i am an ex FAA artificer, it was good fun but i left because i couldn't fly,told them about my hay fever.
Lesson foor everyone, if its not on your doctors notes then don't mention it!

All the best,

Nick.

snowy_owl
1st Dec 2007, 16:31
yeah navy is definately a big big option for me, forms are already in i just need to get down to 90kgs for AIB!

But this process has definately steered me towards rotary flying!

Best of luck to everyone who got in, and also to those who haven't!

SO

O27PMR
2nd Dec 2007, 20:17
To all those who were successful, is anyone heading up to Aberdeen next Friday?

subarup1
3rd Dec 2007, 18:23
Anyone still waiting for a letter?? I have yet to hear, or is the local postal service complete rubbish!!

L A James
4th Dec 2007, 11:26
Snowy,

Unlucky mate, I'm gutted for you as well, having followed this thread since having to withdraw from the process early on for family reasons (I'm one of the 'quiet people' that Business Man mentioned).

I am surprised to hear that you haven't applied to the navy already and would definitely recommend it. Have you considered the RAF too? The Army also operate helicopters but I think they have a different recruitment process where you don't actually secure a place in the air corps until AFTER you've completed Sandhurst (rather an odd way of doing it but I guess it helps them to deter the guys that just want to be pilots and are not bothered about being army officers).

Good luck whatever you do.

L A

snowy_owl
4th Dec 2007, 12:32
L A James,

yeah i had applied for the navy long before this bond thing came up, i just need to get down to 90kg to go to the admiralty interview board!

I looked into air force, but i think the fleet air arm would be better suited for me :-D.

Good luck with all that you do!

SO

sleepyrascal
4th Dec 2007, 22:43
I feel your pain those who didnt make it! I only found out about the cadet scheme a few days after the application deadline so at least you all had a shot!

Snowy I also have considered the navy route. Im 25 though so im on the old side. Need to move fast. Its the time away from family which put me off. Ill make a decision before jan 08. Its not a decision to make off the cuff.

snowy_owl
4th Dec 2007, 23:44
I know what you mean! Thats where i'm in the best position i believe for joining the armed forces, young (19)/single/no ties!

I've given it much thought personally and i find it hard to come up with any better ideas for myself, as i can not afford to train privately and neither can my parents afford to help me too much!

Well sleepyrascal best of luck with your decision! I'm sure you'll make the right one suited to your needs.

SO

snowy_owl
7th Dec 2007, 10:32
So what're all the people who got the places doing? Team building/paperwork sessions?

This thread could turn out to be helpful incase any other companies decide to follow this scheme. - Give people an idea of what happens when you join a company before doing all your training!

SO