PDA

View Full Version : RAF Scolarship/UAS entry questions:

coolblackcat
12th Aug 2007, 19:48
Hi,
I'm going to go to Uni in a year (or 2 if I do a gap year).
I'm interested in applying to join a UAS (University Air Squadron), and in an RAF Scolarship.
My problem is that I'll get most of my qualifications (sports, teamwork, etc) at uni, and I'm afraid of not getting the Scolarship, which would make it much harder for my entry in the RAF after Uni, and would make it impossible for my entry in a UAS.
I've informed myself all about the Scolarship and UAS entry tests, but these questions weren't answered on any internet page.

Firstly: How hard would it be to get into the RAF if I wasn't granted the RAF Scolarship and the UAS rejected me?
Also: Would telling the Scolarship/UAS interviewers my situation and my future sports and activities intentions for Uni be (at least almost) sufficiant for them to see that I'm active and sporty?

These questions are quite important, so I'm going to drive to Gibraltar as soon as my dad can take me, to the AFCO there and ask them, I just thought I'd ask you guys before.

Thanks a lot!
Matt D. Lewis

PS: I've been banned from the OASC topic (for no aparent reason), so I have to start a new one.

Anonystude
12th Aug 2007, 20:35
Matt

As far as I'm aware, not getting selected for an RAF scholarship is in no way a bar to UAS entry: in fact, if anything, I'd imagine it'd stand you in better stead than someone off the street! At the least it shows that you've got some motivation towards a career in the Armed Forces, that you can get through your AFCO interviews, that you've got at least some promise and are likely to get involved in the Squadron...

In fact, if you were unlucky enough to be rejected by the RAF, joining the UAS would be the ideal way to bolster your performance in any areas OASC found you lacking!

To answer your two specific questions:

1. Harder than if the UAS didn't reject you -- but see above. It depends on what you're deemed to be lacking at OASC, I'd venture.

2. Almost certainly. Bear in mind that UAS selection officers (your future UAS staff!) have been doing the job for a while, they've seen hundreds of new first years all applying to join...

Hope that helps.

AIDU
12th Aug 2007, 21:23
PS: I've been banned from the OASC topic (for no aparent reason), so I have to start a new one.

Maybe that is because you are in danger of becoming the next Alex Luis.:=

Tourist
12th Aug 2007, 21:28
Matt.
The question I would ask is why you think you are going to suddenly demonstrate all the good things that the RAF is looking for in your background at uni, if you have never bothered to get off your arse before?

coolblackcat
12th Aug 2007, 21:49
I'm not unactive, man. I spend most of my summer working, and the rest of it playing sports, at the public swimming pool, going out, organizing parties at my farm house, kyacking with my dad or skating with my mates.

It's only week-day nights when I have time to f**k around on forums, and chat on MSN about nothing...

The problem is that none of those activities are "official", as I don't belong to any sports team (except for the Town's Athletics team, which is inactive in summer :rolleyes:). And that there is no ATC group (or equiv.), no scouts, no school teams, no summer activities, no clubs... in this town.

I'll point this out to the RAF, but I still feel quite unsatisfied.

Flik Roll
13th Aug 2007, 00:46
If you get a bursary you have to join a UAS as it states on the RAF careers website....

rolling20
13th Aug 2007, 14:38
Are there tests to get into a UAS these days?
When i joined it was 'i see you play rugby..like girls do you,jolly good you are in'..
Easy, helps if you can drink a bit to and not be a complete a**e in the process..

Bob the Doc
13th Aug 2007, 16:21
There are two reasons that the military look for sporting interests...the one is that people who do regular sport are likely to be fitter and better able to stand the rigours of training.

The second is that team sports develop the concepts of teamwork and leadership. This is the same for scouts, ATC or any other group you might care to mention.

So if there is no opportunity for organised team sports and scouting in your area, the RAF can hardly expect you to have done much of it. They would be far more pissed off if you lived in an inner city and failed to take advantage of those opportunities available to you.

coolblackcat
13th Aug 2007, 17:23
The UAS entry tests are quite similar to the RAF entry test, yeah. Even going to Cranwell for a weekend is mentioned on one of the UAS pages, so I guess you have to go for all UASes (I'll have to inform myself a bit better...).

Well, I still have to go and ask at the Gibraltar AFCO, but I think I should bite the bullet and go for the scolarship!

I'll tell them my sports substitutes, excuses and intentions, work experiance (I'm currently in charge of one of the two teams at work), etc, and cross my fingers.

Flik Roll
13th Aug 2007, 18:45
Go to TheStudentRoom and stop bothering the guys here with endless Alex Luis style questions... There is a massive thread on UAS's (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=392670) on TSR (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=392670) if you bothered to look. It's a sticky at the top of the Armed Forces Careers (http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=392670) page and answers all your questions in depth. And no, it's not really the same at OASC anymore - there is only an interview and a self-declared medical. You don't have to go to Cranwell anymore IIRC.

coolblackcat
13th Aug 2007, 21:12
This topic is about people's opinions about the RAF bursary.

The answeres I'm looking for aren't on those links, Flik; I had already come across this TSR topics (ond others about UAS and the RAF), and found no useful answer to the two obvious concernes I have. Concernes that you'll easily see on Post #1 of this topic, if you would read the post before deciding to be hostile.

But generally, people have been quite helpful so far, thank you.

Flik Roll
14th Aug 2007, 04:54
No hostilities Matt.
I'm sure you are intelligent enough to work out your own answers to your questions you have posted as well after all you are no Alex Luis....
Doesn't take a genius to work out that if you failed to get a bursary then failed the UAS that it is going to be hard to get into the RAF.
If I were you I would be thinking seriously about forgetting sponsorship intially - you have highlighted the lack of sports/AT on your CV. Go to uni and join the UAS. Enjoy the large amount of AT that is now available and take some sports up at uni as you said you wanted to: make you intial application to the RAF count, non of this 'I'm planning on doing x, y and z' - actually have it in stone to be able to say 'I did this, I organised that'.
You can apply for sponsorship in your second year and even you third year on the UAS. The process is made a lot easier once in the UAS (cut out the AFCO) and you will find you get help in preparation for OASC as there are students who have already been through the process, the staff can provide a practise interview and command tasks. Each UAS also has an OASC liason officer who will come and visit the sqn and can talk you through the process and answer most questions (they can't answer some for obvious reasons).

boswell bear
14th Aug 2007, 07:55
It never ceases to amaze me the flak people get on here when they ask for help? :rolleyes:

coolblackcat
15th Aug 2007, 00:38
Thanks Flak, that was very helpful.

AIDU; Simple data process:

If I "Apply to find out" (Answer 2), and get rejected, then I'd be "screwed" to join the RAF (Answer 1).

This is why I've posted this topic. Following your logic, I'd stay on the safe side and not apply for the sponcership, but try to join a UAS.

But, in spite of some anonimous internet guys' opinions and tips, I'll go to Gibraltar (and stand the 4-6 hour car wait at the border... Damn the Spanish government) and visit it's AFCO. I'll try to spot some RAF aircraft there walst I'm at it :ok:.

Thank you all.

332mistress
15th Aug 2007, 09:15
Hello Matt

Just a couple of questions - you live in Spain so are you a Brit and is english your 1st language?

332M

212man
15th Aug 2007, 17:00
332, I'd have said it was obviously yes to both questions: he writes in a colloquially British style. One or two typos/errors but, hey, he knows how to indicate the possessive of a plural guys' opinions, which is more than most 17 year olds we see here!

Matt, I agree with the advice to apply to a UAS and then apply for sponsorship later. I applied, and failed, to get a Cadetship (though had earlier obtained an RAF Flying Scholarship) but after two years on a (the) UAS sailed through Direct Entry Selection.

coolblackcat
15th Aug 2007, 20:37
Nice, 212.

Well, even if I don't get the sponsership, it's only 1k if you want to be a pilot. No sponserships for WSOs, though, so everything adds up afterall.

332; I lived in London till age 9, then I moved to south Spain. The thing is that I read a lot in English, and talk with British mates via internet; I kept all my mates' MSN adresses (just had to put a plural possesive in somewhere).

Speak fluent Spanish, which is more than any Spanish degree (or any other study level) could offer.

Recently done a OOL (Oxford Open Learning) English GCSE course, had to go to London to do the exams and all (Getting my results the 23rd!!!), which, I admit, helped a lot. I did it to impress the RAF in the first place, as they ask for a C in English GCSE, and here in Spain we only do English for foreigners, which isn't much harder than "Dick and Jane" level English. But it's surprisingly helped my English level.
Just waiting to see if I get at least a C. I'm convinced that I will, as the exams went perfectly well, but if I don't get a C, I'll just "forget" to mention it to the RAF.

212man
15th Aug 2007, 22:57
Of course, the RAF would never notice the omission either, it being a requirement and all....:{