PDA

View Full Version : Jet Orientation Courses

Callsign Kilo
12th Aug 2007, 10:27
Anyone ever been on one? What do they typically involve? What is the duration and the costing roughly?

Are they considered a pre-TR entry requirement in some cases or do people go on them before petential sim assessments. Anyone any experience?

Mercenary Pilot
12th Aug 2007, 10:29
There's officially no such thing as a JOC. I wouldn't waste your money unless its specifically linked to a job.

Callsign Kilo
12th Aug 2007, 10:33
Sounded like a bit of a money spinner to me. Not considering it, just interested to know what they are all about. Anyone else?

potkettleblack
12th Aug 2007, 13:04
Do a search on CTC. From as far as I can remember they tied in an MCC with a JOC and if you passed selection to get onto the thing in the first place and then proved yourself then you went into a hold pool. I think Oxford might run one as well.

I wouldn't advocate a JOC per se. What I would advocate was doing an MCC on a jet if you planned on heading down that route. If you want to fly a TP or something smaller then save your money and do it in something cheaper. Then keep your hand in and book a session in the sim prior to any sim rides you get offered following an interview.

Callsign Kilo
12th Aug 2007, 13:35
That's what I thought. Much better to book a few hours in a sim prior to any assessment that do a JOC.

Seems a complete money spinner

potkettleblack
14th Aug 2007, 11:26
Yeah for a job in BA then its great.

In other words its a pre type rating pre entry requirement to get them up to speed on a medium jet transport. For guys trying to get their first airline job it is not required. In fact it can actually backfire on you. If you go and blab during a sim ride that you have x number of hours on a full motion 737 or A320 then expectations will be much higher.

-8AS
14th Aug 2007, 14:16
Jet what?? Just people fleecing more cash out of students. Stay well away!

ianpa
14th Aug 2007, 21:12
Just my two pennies worth, if you don't mind. I think it is quite a simple decision to make, If you have decided to go down the route of a SSTR then it's going to cost you a lot of coin, it would be foolish, in my humble opinion, to find that at the end of your course you need an extra couple of hours because you are not quite up to speed. Typically at the end of your course this is going to cost you £500 per hour. The JOC course that I attended was full motion 737 and cost an extra £2000. For this I got 20 hours 10 as PF and 10 as PM. It was a no brainer for me. I carried on to finish the type rating in minimum hours with a first time pass at LST. I honestly believe that the heads up I got during the JOC course was well worth the extra outlay.

Adios
15th Aug 2007, 20:39
If the FTO delivers a JOC in an FNPTII, then it is a very inexpensive way to get a block of hours. The question is whether or not you need the hours. If you did your MCC in a Jet simulator, then you probably don't need it. If you did your MCC in a TP simulator, a JOC could be a good way to get some Jet sim time on the cheap (I might wonder why you'd do an MCC in a TP though if you're going for jets). Having a JOC might raise the expectations at a sim check, but it also could help you do better in that sim check. It's a tough call and I think it would be difficult to decide without knowing a bit about the requirements of any particular airline you might get a simulator check with. The problem with this logic is that you might not have enough time to cram in a JOC if you get the call for a jet sim assessment.

AlexD121
15th Aug 2007, 20:48
I think that with todays competition to secure a job, every extra rating that you can put on your CV is a bonus that will help you stand out over others so yeah if you have the time and the money, then go for it.

redout
15th Aug 2007, 21:01
According to Lasors some JOC from certain approved FTO's, OAT, BAe prestwick and ATP academy are considered to have met the MCC requirements.

Mercenary Pilot
16th Aug 2007, 00:23
I think that with todays competition to secure a job, every extra rating that you can put on your CV is a bonus

But it's NOT a rating...it counts towards NOTHING licence wise because its not an officially recognised course! It's just a waste of money.