PDA

View Full Version : PA28 Cherokee 140 V Speeds

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 12:18
Have my induction for an FI Course tomorrow on a 140. Have never flown one before and have very little info on them. Ordered the 'AFE Pilot's notes' on the aircraft, however it hasn't arrived yet! Can anyone help, as I don't want to pitch up unprepared; looking like a burk. I will leave the standard of my flying to be the deciding factor on that one! :\

Looking for all the usuals - Vr, Vx, Vy, Cruise, Vg or Vmd, Vno, Vne, Vapp, Vref

Many thanks in advance

CK

cotterpot
10th Aug 2007, 12:28
Is the ASI in MPH or Knots?

Mine are MPH

VNE 171, VNO 140, VFE 115
best rate of climb 85 clean, best angle 75 clean
power off stall 57 clean, 47 with 40 flap

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 12:38
Bloomin hell, good question. Wasn't told. I persume Knots. Better do some conversions.

Cheers mate

CK

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 12:40
By the way, whats typical cruise and at what power setting? 23-2400 RPM?

Gargleblaster
10th Aug 2007, 12:49
Re. cruise speed, I typically get 110 - 115 MPH at 2350 RPM.

Final 3 Greens
10th Aug 2007, 13:38
Warning

There are several different versions of the PA28-140, with two different engine sizes.

ALWAYS refer to the POH for the airframe you are flying.

Why don't you call the club and ask for the numbers - you'll look like even bigger a berk if you turn up with the wrong ones ;)

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 14:02
Tried that with my instructor. Said the POH was pretty useless for that era of aircraft. Asked me to get the AFE Pilot notes, however they haven't arrived. Will get down the club tomorrow early for a reckie.

Cheers CK

Final 3 Greens
10th Aug 2007, 14:21
Callsign Kilo

That response troubles me slightly.

Remember the POH is part of the CofA and you need to comply with the numbers in it, not in an AFE guide (as useful as they are as a supplement.)

If your instructor means 'get the AFE guide because there is a lot of useful inf in it', that's one matter, if it is because the POH is not available, that is another.

er340790
10th Aug 2007, 14:31
Just be careful when you throttle back on the PA28 140. I did all my initial PPL training on a US Reg PA-28 180 in the Netherlands and that free additional 40hp (30%) does make a big difference to performance. With full tanks on a hot day the 140 is really a 2-seater only.

Went to Florida to get the PPL check flights out of the way. One very hot day that school's 180 was away, so they told me to take their 140 instead. After an easy XC Nav jaunt from Winterhaven, I turned onto final at Ocala, throttled back and almost fell out of the sky - sank like a stone at 1200'/min - took full throttle to make the runway!

Useful lesson that low-power and high density altitude are not a good combination!

Callsign Kilo
10th Aug 2007, 14:53
Final 3 Greens - I hear what you are saying. I realise the importance of the POH and so does my instructor. I assume he asked me to purchase the AFE guide due to it's usefulness. Not for the fact that it is to be used as a substitute for the POH. As I say, I will arrive early tomorrow to check the figures. Just wanted to get some heads up beforehand. Have flown a number of PA28 types before, just never the 140.

er340790 - I shall keep that in mind for the PFLs and glide approaches. Remember the Arrow being very similar, especially the PA28R-201.