PDA

View Full Version : JAA Type Ratings ... selection criteria

boogie-nicey
8th Aug 2007, 14:29
There have been numerous comments over the last couple of years regarding the various TRTOs. However the discussion of each TRTO seems to be pivoted around cost. I can understand the significance of such a primary consideration but surely there have to be other factors of equal prominence too that merit consideration. After all the initial cost like many flight training experiences aren't always what they appear to be especially if you end up at a less than reputable school where you'd end up paying more. Thus I would be interested to learn of the individual experiences of past and present students at TRTOs. This would allow me to make a more informed choice above and beyond that which is depicted in the sales pitch. For instance I doubt all of the type rating courses are aimed at students with similar experience levels. Some being more suitable for previous jet time cadidates whilst others prove more tangible to the needs of the 'fresh' fATPL guy, is there any truth in this? If so then this would prove more important than cost alone and may even make some courses prohibitive to the newbie whilst being too long and thus needlessly expensive for the experienced guy.

Hope that makes sense and would really appreciate some feedback on this one. Thanks alot folks :ok:

Fly Ginger
9th Aug 2007, 17:56
Did mine ayear ago this week. It's a dificult one to answer as i can only give you an impression of my course. Had to pass the tests first, which gave me an insight to the company before paying the full amount. I would imagine (i could be wrong) that 99% of courses follow the JAA/FAA sylabus pretty closley without making concessions for the level of experience of the candidate - the courses are after all primarily for the airlines who aren't exactly known for their willingness to throw dosh about!!

The facillities and the level of instruction should be very important criteria. To that extent i have had a very positive experience with a large provider in fleming way, crawley:ok:

potkettleblack
9th Aug 2007, 19:52
Job placement would be equal top of my list along with your concerns about the quality of training and being partnered up with someone of similar experience. From what I have heard there are many TRTO's that are mere production lines. Then there are others that are also job agencies so have a vested interest in getting you placed.

If you can try finding out which airlines have hired from the various TRTO's and whether they give references or put your name forward. Ask them what you need to do in order to get recommended as well.

Fly Ginger
9th Aug 2007, 20:34
true indeed. But always rember that phrase that people kept on saying to you at the very start of your training...............

"there are no guarantees"

I dont think the level of experience of your sim partner has that great a relevance though.