PDA

View Full Version : AAC

Sierra Hotel
6th Aug 2007, 21:13
Hi all,
I am thinking of joining the AAC, but please dont dont think this is another 'joining the...' post.
I have heard alot of negative things about the AAC (courtesy of ARRSE), but would like to no more as to whether it is rlei this bad! I want to fly helicopters, but also to be an Army officer. I have heard about many pilots being given Ops work or more managerial roles, but how frequent is this?
Thanks
Sam
(p.s. any chance of having a joing the military thread by each service to have more definitive answers to questions)

L1A2 discharged
6th Aug 2007, 21:23
Welcome SH,

Firstly read the above 'joining' string, many references and useful tips.

Best of them are:

1. Officer first, pilot second.
2. Learn to, and use, spelling.

Do well at school, do a sponsored degree (if you are good enough to get selected) then get what you can from your employment and short service career.

definition of career? going downhill, completely out of control.

Safety_Helmut
6th Aug 2007, 21:26
(p.s. any chance of having a joing the military thread by each service to have more definitive answers to questions)
Aaaaah, would it be better if things were a little bit easier for you ?

S_H

Horror box
7th Aug 2007, 14:25
I want to fly helicopters, but also to be an Army officer. I have heard about many pilots being given Ops work or more managerial roles, but how frequent is this?

What exactly is it that attracts you to being an officer, army or otherwise? I am a simple man, so a little confused, but Ops work and managerial roles are a reality of life I'm afraid. If you can't accept this, I would look outside the military, as I am afraid you do not have a very good grasp of what military life as an officer will involve.

Sierra Hotel
7th Aug 2007, 15:34
Have no problem with managerial roles, seems to be a more officer like thing than just flying. Sorry my posts are a little confusing, even to me. As for spelling, well, is not my forte by any means.

helidriver
7th Aug 2007, 19:53
S H,
First, before you post on pprune, think about your post and then check its grammar and spelling before submitting, otherwise you will be savaged by some of the bitter cantankerous old gits on here, myself included. Also, do not write in text syntax. Old gits just do not understand it and practising the Queens English may improve your chances, especially when conducting many of the written tests you will be required to complete!
Now for the important bit. Do not be put off by many of the negative comments. We have all been subjected to them at some point in our careers, mostly by people who say, "You can't...." or "There is no way you will become a pilot". Use those negatives to make you more determined to succeed.
Lastly, depending on your age, contact the AAC Regimental Liaison Officer based at HQ DAAvn, Middle Wallop who will give you guidance in abundance. If you are, or older than, 16 years old PM your contact details and I will forward them on to him for you. Just for information, you will need 180 points (3 A levels grade E, or above) for entry as an Officer, so therefore consider this if you are 16 or below.
Good luck.
h