PDA

View Full Version : Natal - Brazil

JMBroad
6th Aug 2007, 13:13
Hi all,

Recently been looking around to get some inside information on what is going on with flights in Natal, Brazil... Official information from the government is that the new airport (Sao Gonçalo de Amarante) in northern Natal should be up and running by 2010.

For now (from what I can find out) they are working on expanding the current Natal airport (Augusto Severo).

I work with global investment property. Everything indicates that the region is a great investment however a chap I've been talking to is adamant that flights won't increase even if the new Amarante airport is built and the infrastructure in the region booms.

Anyone know anything about Amarante airport or routes planned to Natal (from anywhere really, any information is appreciated)?

Thanks for any feedback ;)

goldeneye
6th Aug 2007, 21:51
Dont really see any increase in Charter airlines operating to Brazil as the MYT chater programme the Airtours and Thomas Cook operated did not make any money (ie the SSA flights) so much so that the direct charter flight has been pulled and replaced with TAP flights via portugal. The TAP flights already operate to Natal, so cant see that much of an increase happening.

BelArgUSA
7th Aug 2007, 00:20
Most airplanes using airports in that area, are generally cargo flights that cannot do non-stop flights, because of heavy payloads, from South America to Europe, or back. At the present time, Recife gets the brunt of that traffic, with Fortaleza as the filed alternate airport.
xxx
Most passenger flights from Europe to South America do overfly that area, and use Recife and Sal (Cape Verde) as their ETP oceanic alternates for ETOPs computations in the case of 2-engine aircraft, so the use of Natal would be limited in considering that type of traffic.
xxx
One thing however, is the tourist industry. While NE Brazil ("Nordeste") as they say in that country, was a economically depressed area, the afflux (I call it an invasion) of tourists from Europe to the beach resorts, might change the image of the traffic, and Natal would be a good addition. Tourist air traffic to Fernando de Noronha islands, a little tourist paradise just off the coast from Natal would also be a bonus, as connection point for smaller aircraft.
xxx
Brazil, now, finally a nation with outstanding economic future should never be discounted for investments, and strong ties exist between the EU and Brazil.
xxx
:)
Happy contrails

JMBroad
7th Aug 2007, 08:33
Yup the reason I was asking is because according to Infraero, they are predicting a rise in passenger arrivals to Natal from the current 1.3 mil per annum to 5 mil per annum once the new airport opens for business.

Several multinational developers are investing heavily into the Natal area (as BelArgUSA said, almost an invasion) and soon there will be mega resorts in the area with over 20 000 new residential apartments and villas in the north of Natal.

The reason we are discussing potential flight routes in 2010 when the airport opens (whether Amarante will be open in 2010 is another matter - can an airport of that size be built and open in 3 years?) is to ascertain whether those units will be able to be rented out to holidaymakers.