PDA

View Full Version : Something NEVER seen before!

AdamC
5th Aug 2007, 14:48
RYANAIR not charging pax for access baggage/extra bags because there wasn't enough staff at Madrid Barajas this morning?!? - I ended up getting away with 1 extra bag and 4 kilos over all because there was no staff to do the ticket sales desk?

This surely isn't normal proceedure and something else should have been done (not that im complaining mind.. before you all start moaning at me!)

Just wait until Michael O'Leary hears abou tthis one! :=

RevMan2
6th Aug 2007, 06:42
Just a correction.

It wasn't Ryanair not charging for excess baggage - it was the handling agent not fulfilling the contract.

MOL will be having a few words with them this morning, I would imagine.

And sending them a bill for lost revenue, based on historical revenue streams.

WHBM
6th Aug 2007, 10:56
If there are say 200 bags loaded, based on the aircraft load sheet (which I trust the handling agent did have the staff to prepare) then Ryanair will be looking for the revenue for that (less any bags prepaid of course) and their accounting system will just offset it automatically from what they pay the handling agent.

Whether the handling agent chose to collect the money or not is entirely up to them. It's their loss. It is this lack of any discretion that causes issues with handling agent staff at other times. They are given none.

AdamC
6th Aug 2007, 14:47
I stand corrected! :)

However, still it's something I've never seen before! - Ryanair handling agents are usually very very strict on extra charges.

MrSoft
8th Aug 2007, 09:55
Dublin check-in can be quite lenient. I went over twice in about 100 flights, and both times they let me off.

I got the feeling check-in were dreading telling me, and the inevitable bunfight. A bit of eye contact, basic politeness, did the trick!

WHBM
8th Aug 2007, 10:19
Do Ryanair self-handle at Dublin ?

groundhand
9th Aug 2007, 09:04
WHBM

You have it in one. Ryanair self handle at DUB.
Elsewhere their agents need to collect to get the commission to make up for the lack of turnround rate. Handling Agents also get fined if they do not meet the excess baggage targets set by FR.

Self Loading Freight
9th Aug 2007, 09:30
It's all a bit capricious. I flew Ryan with my sister recently. It was her first flight for 23 years, and she had contrived such a fear of excess baggage that she hit 15.0 exactly on the scales. I was over, but didn't get hit; the woman checking in next to us was over by about the same and did. (This at Prestwick, my first experience of the place - surprisingly good). As we were going to visit friends in Sweden, the biggest worry beforehand was how to carry all the booze that's part of the gift culture: the old trick of wearing a big coat that clinks won't wash now. But in practice, the price of half-decent spirits at Prestwick wasn't that different from supermarkets and nobody seemed to care how much you carried on (I don't know what the ban on carrying liquids through security has done for flight safety, but it's doing the franchises no end of good. Hm).

R

MrSoft
9th Aug 2007, 14:10
Now you mention it, Dublin's Ryanair check in also let me off 10euro penalty for re-issuing boarding pass. (I delayed too long for web check in :hmm:). LBA by contrast is Servisair handling, but they were nice as pie on the one occasion they had to bail out FR following flight cancellation, and really did a great job sorting everyone out.

In my view you're OK with FR if it's a well established airport with reasonable infrastructure. But one of those out of the way destinations, you're on your own if something goes wrong.

Vasto1M
11th Aug 2007, 18:43
It seems there is one set of rules for Dublin and another for the rest of the Ryanair world.

From my observations at Dublin you can get away with … pre-boarding passengers with children, not making the correct boarding announcements, not asking passengers for their confirmation number at check-in, allowing a 15kgs baggage allowance to an infant, not charging passengers to check-in bags, accepting passengers for travel on expired ID, the list goes on.

Just makes life hard work for the people who are doing their job’s properly at the passengers return airport.