PDA

View Full Version : Pay talks, meaningful discussion?

Hoolio
5th Aug 2007, 10:03
Ok guys, no more freighter vs pax fleet vs. ASL, A scale vs. B scale etc etc.
All these divisive attitudes don't serve any of our interests. While we bicker like children the company whittles away everyones COS. The ONLY way we will accomplish anything that benefits any of us is to start standing up for each other. If a deal comes out that is crap for you but good for me, I need to vote it down. Next time around you do the same to help protect me. Together we can make the AOA actually worth the dues we all pay. There has been a lot of bad blood in the past and no doubt, issues will arise in the future, but we have more important issues to deal with right now.

Lets try to actually get a reasonable discussion of what we should be paid in exchange for what the company wants.

This "round of talks" has nothing to do with pay from the companies perspective. The pay issue is a distraction from the real issue of retirement age 65.
Age 65 represents a huge disadvantage for all crew who are not already wearing 4 bars. The company argument that we are training limited on expansion is ridiculous. They can promote new training captains and promote new line captains at will. It just costs them more so they would like to avoid it. The planes are coming. Period. They are just fishing to see if we are stupid enough to pay for the expansion out of our own salaries.

If they truly are limited in growth and there is no solution but to extend the retirement age, then it sure as hell is worth more to them than a paltry 8% raise! Do not throw away our perfect negotiating position for nothing!

They will banter silly things about like "age discrimination" and
"future legislation".......
In the future legislation may or may not come. The company WANTS age 65. That disadvantages our junior pilots. They need to pay for it. For a mid seniority F/O, the pay raise, just to break even, is well into the double digits. Anything less than 15 or 20% on the F/O scale will amount to a pay cut.

There is a large loss in total income between wherever you are now on the pay scale and age 55, if your command is delayed even 1 year. With the expansion, the math they will try to show you uses a faster expansion but don't be fooled. A faster expansion should mean a quicker command and better career earnings, not giving away total income.
Compare apples to apples. Planned airplanes coming with and without 65. Only variable changed is the 55 to 65 retirement. The lifetime earnings difference is huge!

Look at your career based on an 8 yr total command as it is now and see what it would be like if you added 4,5,6 or more years to it. If the industry stagnates 5 years from now you could be stuck as a senior F/O and not make the left seat for even longer.

The talk of bypass pay is also empty rhetoric. It is currently being demonstrated by the way they are promoting in house S/O's. Guys who have 3 years here are "not assessed" until the last second before they are needed so no bypass pay is paid. Meanwhile DEFO's are being hired without restriction to save the company training money.

We have all seen the pattern before. We vote down the first proposal, even though the GC is campaigning hard for it.
The company threatens a horrendously worse deal.
We all run back to the first deal thinking how smart we are.

....it is better than nothing.....
.....if we don't vote it through they will just impose it.......
.....the company is just too strong to negotiate with....
.....everyone just serves there own interest so I will too....

ENOUGH ALREADY!!

Can we give this self defeatist pattern a break? How about if the deal sucks, we vote no. And if necessary, Vote no to the same( or very similar) deal again.
This way the GC can actually have some teeth when they sit at the negotiating table and say, the guys won't accept this.

Lets not be led around by the nose anymore.

Numero Crunchero
5th Aug 2007, 11:30
Well said!

moosp
5th Aug 2007, 12:10
It isn't about age 65.

As has been stated by much wiser minds than mine on this forum, age 65 is already here. Age discrimination is in the legislation of most of the countries we base in. It is in the legislation of Hong Kong. It's a done deal. CX contracts that specify termination at an age below that of the based country's CAA/FAA/CAD licencing requirements are over-ridden by this legislation.

All CX want to do is to put it into a contract. If they can do this by agreement, then they can get all the A scalers who are on basings in countries where age discrimination law is mature, to accept a lower deal than they are getting at the moment. If a based A scaler does not agree to a new contract, he will continue on A scale when he reaches 55. CX CANNOT make an A scaler drop to B scale on reaching 55. It becomes illegal.

It seems to me they are trying a smoke and mirrors with us to make it seem that they are negotiating with us for agreeing to age 65. When it comes out, read the deal well, and ask lots of questions of those that know (AOA officers mostly, but some fifth column mangers might be a good source too.)

That's my read on it. :suspect:

XCX-SOHAPPY
5th Aug 2007, 21:56
You CATHAY types are truly pathetic.

pakeha-boy
6th Aug 2007, 00:45
XCX qUOTE..."You CATHAY types are truly pathetic"

@ 31yrs and 1 post....bloody ballsey mate...care to elaborate?...little pathetic yourself ,to make a comment like that and run off and hide behind your boyfriend...:yuk:

XCX-SOHAPPY
6th Aug 2007, 00:56
You're such a bad-ass aren't you? You must an "e-thug".

You Cathay types ARE pathetic, just have a read on pprune. Doesn't take long to figure that out.

pakeha-boy
6th Aug 2007, 01:10
just hoping you would kiss and tell about why CX (which I,m not) are, as you say...Pathetic......so since you wont ...give your boyfriend a "squeeze" for me will you....love and kisses .....PBXOXOXOXO

Fenwicksgirl
6th Aug 2007, 01:23
Hoolio well said bud.
Although, begs the question, with the recent e mail doing the rounds, why would the predominant A scale based GC push through a substandard package when it is their best interests to sit on their hands!!??
Does anyone know when this package is going to be e mailed out??

letsfly75
6th Aug 2007, 03:30
Hi there. I'm a new hire cathay FO USA cargo pilot. I'm not up to date with the current issues facing the pilots. Cathay is a great opportunity for me but I've had a hard time finding out about what is going on with the pilot group. Talking with current cathay pilots it almost seems like a secret society. If someone has a spare minute would you please PM me with information on what is happening with the pilots at Cathay.

XCX-SOHAPPY
6th Aug 2007, 05:35
Pakeha-

I am sorry I have offended you. You see, CX is nothing more than a stepping stone job for some of us. But you people from ****e places like NewZealand has nothing better going on so CX is it. It is heaven to you, while for some of us...just a place to p*ss on for a few years then leave for a lot better opportunities.

We don't have to go slave in Asia like you little girls from DUNUNDER. 'nuff said.

CMOTDibler
6th Aug 2007, 07:28
XCX,
lets summerise what you contributed to this discussion so far.
Firstly a one line statement steeped in verse and with as much imagination as a caravan site (un-powered).
Second, a two line statement with as much revelation. No reasoning or line of arguement just another few lines of insults. I do read pprune and you are right some people do seem pathetic. Exhibit A being your third post.
Lastly your improving quantity of prose simply revealed your xenophobic stupidity. You apparently slaved in asia like all the other 'little girls' but unlike your Nemisis Pakeha fella, who quite clearly stated he did not. Which one was it that had nothing better going on and needed to go slaving exactly.

Why don't you leave forums that are trying to debate serious issues to people with more reasoning power than a cabbage.

haere ra bro.

Liam Gallagher
6th Aug 2007, 09:03
What's a troll..... and what type of person repsonds to them........?:ugh:

Hoolio
6th Aug 2007, 10:23
Guys,

I don't care who XCX is. I don't care who likes who, and neither should any CX pilots on here. We are re arranging deck chairs on the Titanic instead of looking out for icebergs.

We have an important issue to deal with right now. This will likely be the most important vote ( and re vote :ugh:) in any of our careers. Ponder that for a second.
This is huge.

Lets try to keep this on topic. I have done the math on my current position in the company and also for a few others I know. The results are huge lifetime earnings decreases for everyone. I have no issue with extending the retirement age but we need to get one thing clear.

The company is doing this of there own free will. They want it. They need it, and they will have to pay for it because I will not and neither should you.

Now I want at least 15-25% just to break even for most officers on the F/O list. The company is making huge profits now. If we don't get something in exchange for age 65, XCX is right, We are pathetic.
H

LapSap
6th Aug 2007, 12:46
I'm afraid you WILL get screwed.

Why?

Because
a) As a group you are industrially naive,
b) You have been complicit in every decision they have made about your futures over the past 10 years,
c) The flying public has determined, rightly or wrongly, that your worth is now significantly less than it was in the past.

Reality bites.

rick.shaw
6th Aug 2007, 17:01
Back to the topic at hand. The to'ing and fro'ing in the last few posts only serves to water down the real discussion started by Hoolio. This is a typical (pro)management tactic and breaks up the thread so people go off topic and forget the real reason for this thread.

Hoolio - well said! In particular about the S/O bypass pay issue. Although there is nothing we can do, it is immoral to say the least. Remember this is all some expectation management. Something CX and it's pro management folks are extremely good at. They spend millions a year on consultants to carry out all this crap.

Stiflers
7th Aug 2007, 03:44
Hoolio and Rickshaw, I think you guys are dead on the money there!

Hoolio, I too did some number crunching and came up with pretty much what you did.... The fact of the matter is, we need that pay rise just to break EVEN. You and I both know they will never offer 20%. So basically, anything UNDER 20% is a pay cut right?

So what do we do now?

And you know it doesn't stop here.... The rumour is, next year the housing allowance is up for review. A buddy of mine was told to lock in now, as one of the housing consultants told him that the allowance was going to be cut. So what happens to the rest of us that have signed in on variable rates???

We really need to do something now. It's now or never!!!

TWINGLOBES
7th Aug 2007, 04:02
If the deal is not good, Vote No, Then Vote No next time and know that they will try to force the first offer, Vote No, the offer could surprise, but I find that doubtful.

bobrun
7th Aug 2007, 04:05
As has been stated by much wiser minds than mine on this forum, age 65 is already here. Age discrimination is in the legislation of most of the countries we base in. It is in the legislation of Hong Kong. It's a done deal. CX contracts that specify termination at an age below that of the based country's CAA/FAA/CAD licencing requirements are over-ridden by this legislation.¨

Really? Is that so? CX has had bases for many years and age discrimination has never been a problem. But now that they want to increase the RA for their benefits it has become a problem. Strange coincidence. Bollox I say.

moosp
7th Aug 2007, 16:18
Bobrun, it requires a civil action to make a legal discovery of a point of law. No pilot in CX tried it, they just went at 55 or went tail down to the freighter.

I believe that management have been informed that action may be taken by certain A scalers if they are told to go to B scale at 55 in a jurisdiction that has strong age discrimination laws.

People get angry when they see they are being used. They get their act together and they start legal proceedings.

air pressure
4th Sep 2007, 03:59
Apparantly the company is going to start imposing the terms of COS08 (look at the recent HKFreighter terms to see what they are up to). I was waiting for a meaningful proposal from the company...I now see that any idea of that is a fools wish. Time to look at the new opportunities in OZ.