PDA

View Full Version : SAAB 340 V Dash 8

juliusg
5th Aug 2007, 05:55
I've had several REX flights as a passenger in the last month and wonder how the SAAB compares with the Dash. REX seem to be on a good thing as a one type airline, but wow - the SAAB is a noisy and uncomfortable beast. I found my REX flights fairly ordinary - non working reading light on one, and no chance to buy a beer. So how do they compare with QLink?

brown_hornet
5th Aug 2007, 06:23
Never flown on a Saab but as far as props go the Dash is pretty hard to beat in terms of comfort / noise. Flighties that work on both Dash and Saab/Bras type aircraft seem to comment on the extra room and quieter cabin on the Dash, probably due to the 900rpm cruise vs 1100 or so on the Bras etc.

puff
5th Aug 2007, 08:44
Flown and jumpseated on both and I feel Dash wins hands down, although i'm guessing the attraction to the Saab would be buying cost.
Recent flight in the Saab the a/c just seems to vibrate a lot more and not ride turbulance all that well. Seats are small and not all that comfortable. Found the Dash personally to be far more comfortable, but i've personally only experienced the Q300.

The Kavorka
5th Aug 2007, 08:50
Dash 8-100, 200 on par with the saab (both :mad: boxes)

Dash 300, much beter than saab, heaps more room and less noisy....

Performance wise the Dash :mad: all over the saab a & b models, as soon as anti ice goes on, the saab has to level off!!!! What an aircraft!!!!!!!

Although the saab has a geat AP and really good efis for its type compared to the dash 100/200 steam driven intruments.

chad sexington
5th Aug 2007, 08:55
I know the SAAB doesnt get very high (especially the A) but where we used to fly the same routes as the Dash 8 we were much quicker.

rotcivtolip
5th Aug 2007, 10:38
How similar are Saabs compared to Brasilia's?

chad sexington
6th Aug 2007, 06:26
Bras would dust us in every way, time to climb, crz speed etc.

Oliver Klozof
6th Aug 2007, 07:03
The Kavorka,
Not all -100 and -200 series have 'steam driven' instrumentation and not all -300s have EFIS. Depends on what the operator ordered from the good folks at DeHavilland/Bombardier. I'm led to believe the electro-mechanical gear is actually an option.
From a pilot's perspective, I've only flown the DHC8 and it's a great aeroplane, though the climb/cruise performance of the -100s is a little lackluster (good takeoff and landing performance though!)
From a passengers point of view, flown in both frequently, and got to say, the Dash wins hands down, especially the 'Q' models with the Noise & Vibration Suppression system (NVS). Roomier, quieter and more comfortable cabin.
Haven't had the pleasure of riding on the new(er) B+ models, but would be interesting to see how they compare to the A- :}

The Kavorka
7th Aug 2007, 11:31
from all reports the b+ is no different regarding comfort (or lack of) for the punters....

Ang737
8th Aug 2007, 05:12
Hi All

I can report that B+ or Wingtip as the establsihment call it, is considerably better than an A to fly. Not much of a difference in terms of avionics but speeds / RoC / Performance in general is a welcome change

As for the comment regarding levelling off with the anti ice on. Far from true although there is a fairly heavy power restriction.

Ang...

The Kavorka
8th Aug 2007, 10:22
Ang....

when's the last time that you flew an A model above 10000 with the anti ice on in crap wx and we able to get a roc of better than 200fpm...?

Ang737
8th Aug 2007, 12:38
Tonight. 18 PAX....

Engine Anti Ice - On
De Ice Boots - On Cont
Prop De-Ice - On Norm

Rate of Climb 500 - 600 fpm to FL150

ForkTailedDrKiller
8th Aug 2007, 12:45
"I know the SAAB doesnt get very high (especially the A) but where we used to fly the same routes as the Dash 8 we were much quicker"

Wouldn't be hard!

Over a short sector (ie YBTL-YBCS = 150 nm), I can almost roll a Dash 8 in the V-tail!

Except for that streched one - man that thing can motor!

Dr :cool:

Icarus53
9th Aug 2007, 02:27
Somebody once told me that the SAAB maintains a much higher TAS in the climb (as opposed to the Dash). 180 - 190 IAS were the figures tossed up, and we usually see the SAAB catching up if we depart in front of them. Then they level off down at 120 or 140 while we keep climbing and we all get to Sydney around the same time (unless we're in the 200, which goes like a rocket). No idea whether the SAABs are As or Bs.

Any comments from Sexy Rexy? What's the fleet mix at the moment?