PDA

View Full Version : Nigerian Fatality ...

spinwing
3rd Aug 2007, 16:30
Has anybody got any confirmed Info re the Bristow 412 fatal accident in Nigeria ...

I fear that a ex collegue of mine might have been involved?

:(

3rd Aug 2007, 17:39
Check your messages.

alouette
3rd Aug 2007, 19:17
Can anyone please shed some light on this accident...objectively. Preferrably send me a PM...

I do not feel to good upon hearing this:uhoh:

Russell Sprout
3rd Aug 2007, 19:22
Me neither.... I've got a mate flying 412's out there, any links?

alouette
3rd Aug 2007, 19:59
I hate to paint the devil on the wall but apparently the pilot who died was Australian according to Reuters-Africa.

http://africa.reuters.com/wire/news/usnL03799442.html

I don't like the scent of this news wire :uhoh:

gulliBell
3rd Aug 2007, 22:41
It's not very often that a 412 is lost. Surprised also that the pilot was the only person on board, I thought ExxonMobil contracts now called for 2-pilot ops on all flights whether passengers were being carried or not?

Slightly more info here:

http://www.iht.com/articles/ap/2007/08/03/africa/AF-GEN-Nigeria-Helicopter-Crash.php

As reported, the helicopter crashed inside an ExxonMobil onshore facility, and that rain was falling heavily in the area at the time of the accident. In the link below, Bristow has now named the pilot (a Spanish resident on a UK passport).

alouette
3rd Aug 2007, 22:49
http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/business/energy/5025960.html

:uhoh:

rotorheadcase
4th Aug 2007, 01:04
Sadly Cleighton was an expatriate Australian pilot known to a lot of us in the offshore industry.

My condolences to his family for their devastating loss.

Neil

spinwing
4th Aug 2007, 01:23
My worst fears proved true .... I have lost another friend.

"As Salaam Alaikum " ......

My Condolences to Families and Friends......

Spinwing

Nigel Osborn
4th Aug 2007, 07:04
Very sorry to hear about Cleighton's tragic accident. I first met him in 1989 in Karratha where I endorsed him on the 76 & then flew with him again in Karratha in 1994 on the Woodside contract. I remember how he kept his Ducatti bike in the lounge to prevent the red sand getting on it!
Very sad loss for his family.

Aser
4th Aug 2007, 10:46
R.I.P. :(

Take care.

Aser

High Nr
5th Aug 2007, 06:56
Adding a second tier to this unnecessary incident, Cleighton Brown actually had two families. His Australian ex wife and young son who were left behind when he adopted his second family in Spain.

Two groups of people are now touched by this incident.

Nigel Osborn
5th Aug 2007, 07:10
Any reasons given for this accident? I suppose info from Nigeria takes a while.

Degreeless
5th Aug 2007, 07:13
Very sad to hear about Cleighton. Our thoughts are with his families. Very sobering, another mate gone. Can anybody pm me with Donna,s current address? thanks

Red Wine
5th Aug 2007, 08:10
The lack of rumors over this tragedy is causing some unwritten speculations behind the scenes.
Was this an operational flight or a post maintenance test flight. A test flight just after dawn and in what was stated as heavy rain or IFR maybe, sounds unlikely.
Surely Bristow’s Operational Control would have stopped that from occurring in any case, or at least placed two pilots in the aircraft.
There are enough Aussie pilots working there that must have a better idea as to the real cause.

alouette
5th Aug 2007, 13:27
Speculations are one thing, facts another...I would like to know for a fact on "What the hell happened down there". Other than some clowns running up and down withholding information.....and I agree the silence is deafening.:uhoh:

spinwing
5th Aug 2007, 16:36
..... As much as I am distressed by what has occurred ..... perhaps it is best to wait and see exactly what the investigation reveals ..... and as is often the case we will have to wait and see ...particulary for what all the HUMS and data recording has to offer.

Patience please ......

:sad: :sad: :sad:

SASless
5th Aug 2007, 17:06
Idle speculation never helps in these situations.

The pilot is well known to many of us....we should agree to wait for official accounts before we say something about the causes and the investigation.

Condolences to all who have been hurt by this tragedy.

Hopefully, the company will pass on what they can about this situation as so many who attend this forum drive 412's.

Phone Wind
5th Aug 2007, 19:19
RIP Cleighton old colleague. My condolences to your family.

I'm glad that sensible counsel is prevailing and that there is no idle speculation as to the cause of the crash. As spinwing says, all the 412EPs are fitted with a good data recording system, so hopefully enough information will soon be forthcoming that Bristow can set the minds of all affected by this tragedy to rest.

tigertim
7th Aug 2007, 14:47
Cleightons wife, parents, sisters, brother and niece would like to thank everyone for their kind words and thoughts at this most distressing time.
Cleigh will be buried in Spain on Friday.
He was a brilliant brother...drove me crazy most of the time! but wouldnt have had it any other way!
thanks again

unstable load
7th Aug 2007, 19:12
Rest In Peace!

Condolences to all the family.

pogo759
7th Aug 2007, 19:56
Innalillahi wa inna ilaihi la rajiun.....
RIP brother.....
May Allah be with you and your familly...

tistisnot
8th Aug 2007, 15:55
"The pilot is well known to many of us....we should agree to wait for official accounts before we say something about the causes and the investigation."

Exactly - but why not also for those who are less well-known?

However for the Company which advocates "highest standards of safety, quality and integrity" in its website investor relations blurb ..... one might have expected a short statement of fact somewhere on the same website for such an unusual occurrence in a high profile industry leader?

Tormas
8th Aug 2007, 16:33
I think this one is a little more complicated which I suppose is why Bristow have not put out any statement, besides that one of there new 412's has crashed and the pilot was killed.

tistisnot
8th Aug 2007, 18:55
Which is why I would have thought extremely prudent to place a simple statement of fact to avoid later criticism of not showing integrity.

RoamingCyclic
9th Aug 2007, 09:42
RIP Old Mate - Fond Memories of the Old KTA "Ground-Hog Days" will be Remembered Always.

Sincere Condolences to Families on Both Side of the Globe.

RC.

Red Wine
11th Aug 2007, 11:24
With respect for our deceased colleague, now comes the harder questions.

As the B412 aircraft were quickly released back to operational duties, together with the company being a respected international group, and has not been censured by the client’s auditing/legal group, one can only assume that the incident was either due to local sabotage or by the pilots own hand.

Either alternative is such an undesirable outcome, and one we would prefer to not even consider, however, undesirable human intervention in our challenging and unforgiving profession is a reality that should be recognised and not suppressed.
By having it out in the open, we can establish procedures, screening systems to minimise the effect that either alternative has on our chosen profession.

Let’s not suppress the hard issues.

Did we all do everything possible to prevent one of the above options from becoming a reality?

I for one, failed.

Nigerian Expat Outlaw
11th Aug 2007, 17:04
Red Wine,

You seem to feel guilty judging by your last sentence ? Are you in Eket ?

You also appear unsensitive with your assumption. The last post on the previous page is from a member of Cleighton's family who we can assume is still reading this thread. Your post will only add to their pain.

This may be a rumour network but in such cases common decency usually prevails.

Sasless gave good advice. Please exercise restraint and wait for the official report.

NEO

212man
11th Aug 2007, 22:17
As least they grounded the fleet for a few days: more than they did after poor old Monty and Chris found themselves in a flying illustrated parts catalogue! :ugh:

SASless
12th Aug 2007, 02:03
Ah now 212MAN....it was just a bolt...not the whole catalogue. Besides, what's an honest mistake between friends?

(All this referring to the 212 loss)

alouette
13th Aug 2007, 07:23
I agree, I would rather want to see the accident report than pointing fingers in a direction - causes more pain and anger than anything else. All other comments are just sheer speculation. Anyway, my opinion.....

stacey_s
13th Aug 2007, 17:52
ON THIS SUBJECT,pm me

Stace

Mars
20th Aug 2007, 13:05
From the NTSB Web Site:

WAS07WA013

On August 3, 2007 about 0735 UTC, 5N-BIQ, Bell 412 EP, operated by Bristow Helicopter (Nigeria) Ltd, crashed while manuevering over Qua Ibom Terminal Airfield (QUA) at Eket, Akwa Ibom State, Nigeria. The pilot, the sole occupant, was fatally injured. The helicopter was destroyed. There was no fire. The local flight originated at QUA.

Witnesses reported observing the helicopter in a series of "torque turns" over opposite ends of the airfield before it crashed in a nose-down attitude.

outhouse
20th Aug 2007, 13:42
Lets just await the official report before commenting again, RIP old friend.
Outhouse.

Red Wine
24th Sep 2007, 09:36
After nearly 2 months, has any preliminary or final report been issued by any interested party?

Patode
29th Sep 2007, 18:10
Post deleted.

Totally inappropriate: if your first post is indicative of your standard, Patode, it is likely to be your last :=

Senior Pilot