PDA

View Full Version : Eyesight For Royal Navy Helicopter Pilots, Observer or Aircrewmen?

St. Helier
2nd Aug 2007, 17:24
Hi,

anyone got any information on the eyesight standards for helicopter pilot, observer or aircremen in the royal navy?

I have been told it is more slack than RAF standards, but still unsure.

all information welcomed,

matt

AlexD121
2nd Aug 2007, 17:28
hmm, I'm not sure where you heard that but as 90% of the training is completed alongside Army and RAF heli pilots, and as there are now tri service squadrons, I would have thought that the standards would be the same. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

St. Helier
2nd Aug 2007, 17:30
yer thats what I originaly thought! i get told loads of different things :bored: lol

im still working on it!! lol

thanx alexD1

airborne_artist
2nd Aug 2007, 18:17
Tried Google?

http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/pdf/04-navy.pdf

JohnV85
14th Aug 2007, 16:20
Sorry to jump on this thread I digged up whilst searching, but will do it anyway...

So is it correct that you need only 6/12 in each eye for visual acuity in the Navy to be eligible as aircrew? I want to check I am reading the document correctly.

I am considering applying, and just had my vision checked out at 6/9 in each, and wondered whether I was ok.

Also, if you attend the selection and pass the required standards, how much emphasis is placed subsequent to that on your vision, i.e. by how much you passed?

Thanks.

airborne_artist
14th Aug 2007, 17:34
To be absolutely certain that you meet all the eyesight reqs you should take the PDF to an optician, but as I read it 6/9 in each eye is a pass.

Eyesight is pass/fail, and once you have passed will be forgotten. AIB scores will take preference.

JohnV85
14th Aug 2007, 19:10
Thanks, answered what I wanted to know.

faarn
15th Aug 2007, 19:53
when i joined, post the changes in 1995, my eyes were myopia -1.0 in one eye and -0.75 in the other. I was worried through training about being thrown out at some point but once you are in they don't mind (I'm -1.5 in worst eye now). It seems I was outside limits on joining (myopia limit -0.75) but still got accepted so you never know (can't remeber my astigmatism limit at the time)! I know the RAF accept only perfect vision (because they get so many applicants they can afford to reject on eyesight alone) but i'm not sure on the limits for the army. If in doubt call Yeovilton or Culdrose Medical center, they'll be able to advise you.

AlJH
16th Aug 2007, 11:12
Standards are the same, according to the chart which has been posted on here a good 5,000 times.

airborne_artist
16th Aug 2007, 12:38
AlJH - not true, check http://www.assoc-optometrists.org/uploaded_files/raf_july_07.pdf - page two has the standards for regular aircrew of all three services; RAF needs 6/6, while Navy/AAC 6/12.

AlJH
16th Aug 2007, 21:13
a_a
My bad. I took it from the table that is posted more or less every time someone asks a question about eyesight. I think it's beags that usually posts it. Plus I don't want the crabs thinking they're superior or anything...
:}