PDA

View Full Version : Approach into Menorca.

boristhemini
2nd Aug 2007, 16:39
Mods:Please feel free to move. Was not sure whether to post here, SLF, Routes, or JB. Thanks.

Flying into Menorca, what is the standard approach (straight in, downwind/base legs etc.) There are a couple of landmarks I want check out from "altitude" before I visit at ground level, so will hopefully ask for seats on the appropriate side of a/c at check in!! Sad, I know, but hey, its my holiday!! :8

SingleLensReflex
7th Aug 2007, 00:00
Depends on which way the wind is blowing.

Please switch off all electrical devices (including cameras) on final descent.

boristhemini
7th Aug 2007, 22:19
Excellent and productive reply there SLR. :mad:

Try not to wear out what brain cells you have with such rapier sharp repostes.
Please switch off all electrical devices (including cameras) on final descent

As the human brain is basically run on electronic responses, lets hope you switch off all your electrical devices!!

Thanks to those who PM'd with useful comments.

big.al
8th Aug 2007, 10:24
Hopefully someone will come along with a more detailed and authoritive answer as I've only been once, as pax...

We landed on the northerly runway. Appeared to join downwind, overflying the western end of the island north-south, before turning left base flying roughly parallel to the south coast. Left turn to final from, at a wild guess, 8nm out. But I'm only a Cessna driver and not used to such wide circuits!

SFCC
8th Aug 2007, 15:28
As was sarcastically pointed out above, it does very much depend on the wind.
If landing runway 19, it is a VOR/DME approach. Sitting on the left will give good views of Mahon harbour (one of the deepest harbours in the world, i am lead to believe).

If on runway 01, it will be either visual, DME arc(something like 12D if my memory serves me correctly) or shortcut to point BALIO which is on the extended centreline out over the sea, leading to an ILS. Really depends on traffic density and willingness of the crew to accept shortcuts. Which ever of the above, sitting a/c left will still provide best views of the island, especially if the full arc is flown.

Hope that helps a bit:)