PDA

View Full Version : Newcastle Private Flying

britannia301b
2nd Aug 2007, 14:56
hiya everyone,

I took my 5th hour of flying on G-BUIF yesterday, and was flying with an instructor called Keith.

A very disappointing flight tho.

I've flown down Durham Tees Valley and the last few flights ive done at Newcastle, last being on G-BRJV.

I was disappointed to find that Keith, who i've never flown with only let me switch on the master switch on the ground (that was the only thing I was allowed to do), he took the aircraft in to the sky, and more or less landed it for me, and was getting very stressed because of my flaring time.

It's kinda put me off trying for my ppl now, and at 22 years of age, I was just looking forward to giving it my all.

It was a quite embarrasing situation.

Does anyone else fly at NCL? that could advise me on good people to fly with.

Thanks

XL319
2nd Aug 2007, 15:42
Tell him....it's YOUR lesson not his. Be more assertive!

Unless of course it was a safety issue as to why he was flying. Talking to him would be my first bit of advice. If still not happy change instructor....still no joy try another school/club.

sternone
2nd Aug 2007, 15:43
Ask your money back.

tangovictor
2nd Aug 2007, 16:41
its you thats the client, you therefore call the shots, next time you book, just say, I dont wish to fly with him, its your money not the schools

Captain Smithy
2nd Aug 2007, 19:51
I echo all that has been said.

If all your instructor is allowing you to do is flick a switch now and then, then something isn't right. By my second lesson I was doing the pre-flight myself and running through all the checklists from pre-flight to shutdown (not bragging, this is how the instructors at my club teach us students). Now I'm expected to do most things for myself.

Perhaps trying a different FI, or even another club/school, will solve your problem. Don't give up though!

Smithy

BHenderson
2nd Aug 2007, 22:31
Just ask for a different instructor. John is very good. If you can catch Andy, he is a real people person.

Musket097
6th Aug 2007, 10:44
A number of questions spring to mind.

1. When did you last fly and was it with the school in question?

2. Have you ever flown with that instructor before?

3. What exercises have you succesfully completed in you log book?

4. Had you been briefed on landings?

In my opinion you need to a talk to the instructor in question and ask why.

5. Did he know you where less then satisfied with the flight?

6. Did you talk to the CFI?

It's dead easy to blame the instructor in these situations, but what you need to realise is that the instructor is not just responcible for the aircraft and his life but also yours.

You need to talk to the CFI at the school in question and keep us posted.

britannia301b
6th Aug 2007, 10:57
At this moment in time, I am in email contact with the CFI, and I will keep you posted.

britannia301b
6th Aug 2007, 11:07
1. When did you last fly and was it with the school in question? - Last time I flew was about 6 months ago, and yes, with the school in question.

2. Have you ever flown with that instructor before? - No, I have never flown with the instructor before.

3. What exercises have you succesfully completed in you log book? - I don't have a log book, I only have 5 hours flying as of yet, to see if I could "hack it" so to speak.

4. Had you been briefed on landings? - I was briefed with the instructor I flew with last time, and completed a sucessful landing, and praised for it.

5. Did he know you where less then satisfied with the flight? - I didn't say anything at the time, I don't like confruntation, or upsetting people.

6. Did you talk to the CFI? - The CFI is in contact with me now by email.