PDA

View Full Version : A couple of basic log book Q's..

Gav28
2nd Aug 2007, 11:25
Hello all,
I'm a recent JAA PPL holder, if anyone could give me any clarification on the below it would be much appreciated.

1.I want to transfer my hours, I have about 70, into a new log book because my current one is a mess. Is it simply a case of copying it over identically into the new book? My current log book has been stamped by my flying school(In the US) to validate the hours are correct, do I need to get the new log book revalidated or can I just use the old one as proof if anyone queries my hours?

2.My initial skills test was cancelled for bad weather after 45mins, i logged this as PUT time with the examiners name as the instructor and counted it under my dual time- is this the correct way to log this? I then re-took the whole test again the next day with a different examiner and passed.

Thanks very much.

Gertrude the Wombat
2nd Aug 2007, 16:40
(2) That's probably right legally, but if the rules were more logical it would depend on who cancelled it and why! - there's a lot of difference between, at the extremes:

(a) the student deciding that the weather is lots worse than forecast and stopping the test without the examiner saying a word (student making correct command decision) and:

(b) the examiner having to take control and cancel the test because the student was just blundering on into weather they couldn't cope with (student not ready for test, shouldn't have been up there in the first place).

potkettleblack
2nd Aug 2007, 17:04
When I did my PPL I used one of those crappy little blue logbooks that come in the starter packs along with the Trevor Thom manuals. I realised just before starting my professional training that I needed a bigger book with more columns to record single, multi, IFR, night, sims, P1, P2, PICUS etc etc. I opted for a Jeppy professional version which suits my needs. Splitting your time out into the right columns from the outset makes it a hell of a lot easier when it comes to form filling for the CAA.

All I did was rule off the old book and add up all the totals then carry them forward to the new logbook. When I needed to submit my logbooks to the CAA for CPL and IR issue I sent them both and they were fine with it.

foxmoth
2nd Aug 2007, 20:55
I would suggest you start the new log book as you would like it, either enter all your previouse flights or enter the hours you have and start from there, the options then are to get an examiner to look at your old book and certify it as correct in the new one or just submit the old and new ones when it comes to licencing issues.:ok:

3 Point
5th Aug 2007, 15:44
I deal with this matter of combining logbooks frequently, I agree with foxmoth. Do what you like, either total the old book, rule it off and carry the totals forward to the new book or copy all the entries individually (very tedious). You could ask a club cfi or similar to sign the new book "certified correct" (I have done this often) but, in either case you ought to keep both books and send them both in to the CAA for any licensing application.

I have never had the CAA query this when we send in licence applications.

Happy landings

3 Point