PDA

View Full Version : New heliport planned for London ?

JimBall
2nd Aug 2007, 11:16
BHAB has circulated a consultation to members on behalf of a company seeking to develop a new heliport for London "on the north bank of the Thames just to the west of London City Airport".

That would seem to put it in a difficult position for LCY ops! Excel centre ? Red Bull strip ???

ShyTorque
2nd Aug 2007, 13:23
Jim, possibly the open site opposite "the Dome" at N51 30' 08" E00 01' 07.28"?

That one looks good from a pilot's point of view, certainly if the photos of that area on Google Earth are still accurate. No housing adjacent; it looks industrial all round. 350m x 200m estimated, with a road running immediately to the north of the site.

The City desperately needs a new heliport so let's hope this comes to fruition very soon, preferably one near an Instrument approach path which would help for bad wx operations.

Also, someone could make a small fortune running a boat ferry across the river to and from the Olympic Games site. :ok:

AlanM
2nd Aug 2007, 18:06
Makes sense to have one - then cancel all of the LCTR H routes which were designed for Battersea!:)

Seriously though, why would that be more viable than Breeze which didn't seem to work - but was only 5 miles east?

DUAL RATED
2nd Aug 2007, 18:52
Start a water taxi like the ones in venice to take pax further up towards the west side of the city

Helinut
3rd Aug 2007, 13:32
I wouldn't hold your breath until they have planning permission.

It may well be that the BHAB information request is part of the process of gathering evidence to support a planning application

Bravo73
3rd Aug 2007, 14:01
Seriously though, why would that be more viable than Breeze which didn't seem to work - but was only 5 miles east?

IIRC, Breeze were charging extortionate prices for very limited facilities and access. Not a great recipe for success, IMHO.

There is another 'heliport' in the area: www.docklandsheliport.com (http://www.docklandsheliport.com/) It's on the old Ford Dagenham site and also very close to London City.

Start a water taxi

I think that I'm right in saying that London already has both water taxi and water bus services. They are just currently under utilised... :(

AlanM
3rd Aug 2007, 14:15
Yes - we get a few in and out of the Dagenham site. But who in their right mind would want to sit on the Thames on a winters evening........

It has to be central.

ShyTorque
3rd Aug 2007, 16:00
Too true! No business person would be impressed, having paid an arm and a leg for an hour long heli ride, to be told he/she subsequently has to spend a similar amount of time on a riverboat to complete the journey.

Colonal Mustard
3rd Aug 2007, 20:40
This was discussed, and rejected in 2001, doubt it`ll get thru this time either:ok:

AlanM
3rd Aug 2007, 20:43
The Colonel is probably right - but with the regeneration in the running for East London for 2012, now seems as good a time as ever.

Snarlie
4th Aug 2007, 07:11
This option may be a medium to long term solution but I still think the immediate answer is a barge in the River Thames along the lines of the old Trigg Lane arrangement and the Star Aviation facility as was. Perhaps a concerted campaign by BHAB and other interested parties at this stage could bear fruit sooner than a new shore based heliport.

LCY12345
16th Aug 2007, 14:16
I have also seen the questionnaire. Maybe the spot opposite the Dome would be suitable, near where the Red Bull stands were?

What about Vanguard? Is that place still accepting helis? It seems to have been quiet there for some time?

Other than that there are no other places in London, but do you really think there will be enough demand? Has the price rise at Battersea meant that operators are keen to fly elsewhere or are they taking it on the chin?

Sliding Doors
16th Aug 2007, 15:26
LCY,

The CAA recently sent round a 'statement' regarding Vanguard. Long story short - In order to use it for Commercial Charters aircraft mass has to be reduced such that it can hover OEI OGE :{ That will seriously restrict the types that can use Vanguard legally :ugh:

The price rise won't/ isn't the major problem at Batters :uhoh:

The present slot system is an ill thought out, poorly managed load of ar$e :mad:

Not only that, as 'we' found out recently, you still get hit with a cancellation fee even if the cancelled slot is sold again at full face value :{

Never did feel all the hype about trying to keep movements down was the real motivation. It is ALL about money. (without even suggesting that perhaps Premiair always find the daily slot limit hasn't been exceeded :rolleyes:)

This mess was never funny, but the sooner a second option is available the better :ok:

cyclic_fondler
16th Aug 2007, 16:58
I'm very suprised that Mr Branson wouldn't be up for this type of venture of starting an air taxi to either Heathrow or Gatwick for his first and business class customers.

As the Atlantic routes are going to be open up to more Airlines, this would be
a massive boost to try and win the lucrative business customers.

But I guess Red Ken and the CAA would have a few things to say about this :*

verticalhold
16th Aug 2007, 17:00
Battersea becomes more and more irritating. The present slot system is a joke. If the heliport can so easilly fill it's annual slot system what is the need for a cancellation charge? (Ok. I know just another way to squeeze the other operators)

Real gripe now. When I call as a customer to book a slot I hate people chewing down the phone at me. It is extremely bad mannered and smacks of don't care amateurish behaviour. The general attitude towards the poor paying customer has plummeted over the last few months.

Bravo73
16th Aug 2007, 17:07
I'm very suprised that Mr Branson wouldn't be up for this type of venture of starting an air taxi to either Heathrow or Gatwick for his first and business class customers.

You might just find that Heathrow and Gatwick themselves wouldn't be very keen on an air taxi service. They currently don't seem to be very keen to take helicopters as it is... :(

chopper1987
9th May 2008, 08:51
I have always found ops at battersea to be very helpful and also quite hot. Shame about the prices though!

Darren999
9th May 2008, 14:48
As I sit and read these posts its very upsetting to see all the restrictions the CAA have on heliports generally. London is one of the greatest cities in the world and the troubles required to get a new heliport is unbelievable. Especially with the fast approaching Olympic Games. Its a real shame :* I agree all the heli lanes should go.
I also find it hard that large airports like Gatwick and Heathrow aren't that struck on helicopters. A helicopter shuttle would work fine. I guess I am very spoilt being able to fly into New York, Philly,the controllers are great to work with.

With really no problems with where you can land, and what you can land due to performance. I have taken Bell 47's, Jet Rangers, A109 in there, no problems. I just guess I'm just in a very lucky situation. I agree things need to change in London and I hope soon. Just reading about Battersea, the prices are outrageous, I suppose they have the monopoly... Shame.....

chevvron
9th May 2008, 15:02
Now that Red Ken, who was fiercely anti helicopter, has gone, maybe Boris could be persuaded to co-operate.
DUAL RATED: there's already an excellent water taxi operated by Thames Clippers; fast smooth catmarans; operating Island Gardens (Isle of Dogs) via Canary Wharf to the Waterloo area, with extensions to Greenwich early morning/late evening.

puntosaurus
9th May 2008, 18:42
I would have thought that LCY would have been the perfect place for a new London Heliport. Infrastructure (including the Dodgy Little Railway) already in place, and it might actually improve air traffic if they were directing stuff in and out rather than trying to keep them away from planks. Why would you miss out on such a great source of revenue, effectively for free ?

mickjoebill
10th May 2008, 11:44
Went to the dome and back by the thames cat recently.
They really motor and it is a trip worth doing (you can stay on for multiple trips if you are a keen bridge spotter.
A very chic way of getting to any of the mooring points and much faster than road.
Branson could have his own liveried fast boats.

As I understand it is fairly easy to pickup and drop off at the jetties, not too much paperwork.

Mickjobill

DUAL RATED
10th May 2008, 17:10
went on it the other week, mate of mine lives on a dutch barge up that way tip top very quick, the cat that is, not his barge
rh

jonwilson
9th Oct 2009, 15:37
Hi,

can anyone tell me the CAA form needed for the approval to land at Vanguard Heliport on the Isle of Dogs please?

Does this permission have to be applied for everytime?

It is a private flight, non commercial if that makes a difference.

Thanks.

Jon.

JTobias
9th Oct 2009, 16:13
Hi

You need a Rule 5 exemption. CAA form SRG 1304 (http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=33&pagetype=65&appid=11&mode=detail&id=497). They cost £108 (and that is for the application, no refund if they refuse!). The permit can last for up to one year. You need to be reasonably experienced before the CAA will grant it due to the confined nature of the site.

I recently got one and wrote about the process, here (http://www.jetbox.wordpress.com) and my first trip into it . (Use the search box at the top of the page on my blog with the expression 'Vanguard' and you will be able to track the story from me first applying to me doing my first trip in there.)

http://i551.photobucket.com/albums/ii457/joel_tobias/Vanguard/IMG_0104_1.jpg
Good luck

Joel:ok:

birrddog
9th Oct 2009, 18:04
<Thread drift on>Joel, I hope you split the cost of that Katie Price flight four ways ;) </thread drift off>

What makes Vanguard a confined area?

Yes it is not a runway, and their are obstructions in the front, but a confined area?

Is it because you might have to shoot an approach from over the building depending on the wind direction?

JTobias
9th Oct 2009, 19:31
Hiya,

Why do I have to split the flight four ways?

"What makes Vanguard a Confined area"

- errr because it's a confined area !!

and regardless of the wind direction, there's only one way in and one way out. Your average PPL (H) is unlikely to give that a go without quite a few hours under their belt and experience of lots of other types of landing sites.

Joel :ok:

birrddog
9th Oct 2009, 19:34
Why do I have to split the flight four ways?

'twas in reference to your ppl(h) status (like mine) .. iow a joke, albeit a weak one ;)