PDA

View Full Version : Typhoon

XL319
1st Aug 2007, 22:42
Any idea's where the other base is going to be? Coningsby (obviuously), Leuchars and?? There was talk of Leeming, but this was thrown into doubt. Can anyone shed any light on matters?

Out Of Trim
1st Aug 2007, 23:02
Well a long time ago - It was supposed to be Wattisham - but, doubt it now though! :{

I expect Leeming will be chosen.

ranger703
1st Aug 2007, 23:08
Is there any need for a third?

Archimedes
1st Aug 2007, 23:41
Depends on how many squadrons are to be formed. For a seven squadron force, it was thought that three bases were required: Two sqns (+ OCU and OEU) at CGY, three at St Leuchars and the other two at Leeming.

With Leeming being chopped from the list of definite Typhoon bases in one of Hoon's efforts to pretend defence spending wasn't being cut, it's been suggested that the Typhoon force may go down to five or six squadrons.

Another rumour that's going around suggests that perhaps Leeming might get a Typhoon unit or two after all, or, alternatively, you can have hours of er... fun (?) reading the JCA basing study and coming up with permutations that have Typhoons at Marham or Cottesmore...

newt
2nd Aug 2007, 00:05
Chivenor sounds good to me!!

Razor61
2nd Aug 2007, 00:18
or St Mawgan...........

Wensleydale
2nd Aug 2007, 06:46
The 6 Base Fixed Wing RAF:

Typhoon: Coningsby; Leuchars
Dave: Marham; Lossiemouth
ISTAR: Waddington
Truckies: Brize

Rotary is problematical, but if a home is wanted near Catterick, then Leeming's your place with Odiham for the Southern Softees. (Unless they all go Army).:confused:

Pontius Navigator
2nd Aug 2007, 06:49
Rotary is problematical, but if a home is wanted near Catterick, then Leeming's your place with Odiham for the Southern Softees. (Unless they all go Army).:confused:

Lyneham for one I heard.

Safety_Helmut
2nd Aug 2007, 07:33
Definitely not St Mawgan. It will be known as Newquay Cornwall Airport and operated by Cornwall County Council from late next year.

S_H

XL319
2nd Aug 2007, 09:12
well ther Typhoon could take off on a helipad...so we could say a lot of places could have it...however i know the accomodation was condemned at Lyneham..so would doubt it being there.
I'm guessing at Leeming...it has all the facilities....hangers, accomodation is fairly new etc and also talk of the Arrows moving to Leeming if and when they sell Scampton

Razor61
2nd Aug 2007, 09:32
"Definately not St Mawgan it will be known as Newquay Airport"

Exactly my point...

maxburner
2nd Aug 2007, 09:46
How about Coningsby, Leuchars and the two carriers/Yeolvilton?;)

incubus
2nd Aug 2007, 10:10
As the days of "all threats are from the east" are now behind us, how about spreading the Q about?
Leuchars, Conningsby, Valley/Machrihanish/Aldergrove, Lyneham/Brize/Marham?

vecvechookattack
2nd Aug 2007, 12:05
and the two carriers/Yeolvilton They won't fit.....best place them next to the sea...Portland maybe?

I understood that Dave wouldn't be going to Yeovilton as by the the entire AAC will be based there....is that true?

Archimedes
2nd Aug 2007, 12:28
Yeovilton was rejected as a Dave base because it would be too noisy. Apparently.

Basing for JHC is 'under consideration'.

If there is to be a second JCA base - and there may not - Cottesmore may get that, with the remaining GR4s from Lossie relocating to Marham. There is a suggestion that Cottesmore might get Typhoons from somewhere, but heavens knows when, or from where they'd originate (the 'missing' Leeming squadrons with a later ISD?)

Again, there are several alternative scenarios, all plausible and none confirmed...

Never Alert
2nd Aug 2007, 13:15
I'm guessing at Leeming...it has all the facilities....hangers, accomodation is fairly new etc and also talk of the Arrows moving to Leeming if and when they sell Scampton

Don't think the Reds will move from Scampton. Leeming would be a nightmare for them as they would still have to use R313 for practices.

The transits required would eat heavily into the working day and would result in less slots per day, which would be a problem during the training phase of their season.

Razor61
2nd Aug 2007, 13:48
So Stuff the council of Cornwall and bring back St Mawgan.

Grey'npointy
2nd Aug 2007, 17:12
I like this thread - it is exactly what this site was made for!

Here's my rampant rumour-spreading:

Typhoon won't go to Leuchars. Sum of £73 million banding round to bring the domestic site up to scratch. RAF Fife will die with the F3 in 2011. Instead, Leeming will get the shiny new jets as the camp is in good nick.

The Reds could never operate from Leeming - think of the carnage on the A1 for starters. Next rumour is that they'll fly from Waddo and operate over Scampers.

I've heard that all the Army Lynx helos are going from Wattisham to Dishforth, to be near Catterick. The AH-64 force is going the other way to concentrate the force down south.

Last one - Elvis is working in the passes and permits office at St Mawgan, so it can't shut.

GnP

XV277
2nd Aug 2007, 22:12
But politically, can you see our current Prime Minister sanctioning a base closure in Fife? (Even in a Lib Dem constituency).

Big Bear
3rd Aug 2007, 06:28
I'm just wondering how you would fit a couple of Sqns of Typhoon into Leeming as well as 90 SU. Now if we just had perfectly good fighter base in East Anglia..........Doh! we did until last year :ugh:

Biggus
3rd Aug 2007, 17:26
In his 6 Base Fixed Wing RAF Wensleydale seems to have forgotten the GR4 fleet, which I believe has quite a few years left to run, and the MRA4 - if it ever arrives!!!

Max Shutterspeed
3rd Aug 2007, 20:35
<The Reds could never operate from Leeming - think of the carnage on the A1 for starters. Next rumour is that they'll fly from Waddo and operate over Scampers.>

But the bit of A1 beside the runway is dead straight - would make a great centre line......

Or they could use the world's daftest named airport, Durham Tees Valley - there are often big gaps in traffic there.....

Or Elvington is just a couple of minutes away. The owner would probably be glad of the visits to piss off the grumpy neighbours

Max S

Wensleydale
3rd Aug 2007, 21:00
Biggus: Not forgotten MR4 - it will come to Wadddington as an ISTAR unit together with E3, R1, ASTOR and Predator. A suggestion is to use Scampton as a "satelite" for room. (No submarine threat any more). GR4 is at Marham and Lossie until Dave arrives.

PS. Rumour Control has Reds at Waddo for 2 years while they re-do Scampton's runway/taxiways again. Certain accommodation was measured up at Waddo - the unit originally in this accommodation has since been moved out and works services requested over 5 years ago for the original unit (eg a toilet within 200 yards) are suddenly being reconsidered. Runways/taxiways at Scampton widened/strengthened for a bigger aircraft maybe?:ooh:

Jackonicko
4th Aug 2007, 13:14
You can't use Coltishall, as that's where they're putting the Saudi Typhoon OCU and OEU.

They're scratching about for contract pilots to serve there, I believe...... :}

PICKS135
4th Aug 2007, 16:09
Typhoon won't go to Leuchars. Sum of £73 million banding round to bring the domestic site up to scratch. RAF Fife will die with the F3 in 2011.

So thats why the Married Quarters in Cupar Have/Are being sold off. I did wonder about the reason when 4 Sqns were supposed to be incoming.

Al R
4th Aug 2007, 16:19
But politically, can you see our current Prime Minister sanctioning a base closure in Fife? (Even in a Lib Dem constituency).

Given that they refuse to fly the Union Flag from public buildings now, perhaps we should show them a bally good lesson anyway. Lets bring the English Air Force home. In which case, given the usettled nature of the truculent tykes, Leeming would be a good place for a Q.

Wensleydale
4th Aug 2007, 17:10
Even worse - the SoS for Defence is also the SoS for Scotland. Can you really see Scotland loosing any jobs? And I wonder where the contract for two aircraft carriers will go? What are the odds for the River Clyde?

Not so much Tony's Cronies these days as Gordon's Highlanders. (Or even Brown's Clowns?).

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
5th Aug 2007, 22:37
(No submarine threat any more).

You mean rather like there was no threat in 1936?

Correcting Thread drift.

Wensleydale
6th Aug 2007, 07:59
The Nimrods are all away doing ISTAR duties in pastures brown and I understand from previous threads that there are not the aircraft left to go "sub hunting" at the moment.

In the good old days, Kinloss looked after seas cold while St Mawgan looked after the SWAps. With the demise of St Mawgan, then a base more in the middle of the country covers all regions for Maritime Ops, SAR etc as well as combining ISTAR resourses at cost saving. Moving down from Kinloss is not such a silly idea (except for the loss of Jock Jobs for the SoS to sort out).

Yellow Sun
6th Aug 2007, 09:47
With the demise of St Mawgan, then a base more in the middle of the country covers all regions for Maritime Ops

Ah! time to reopen Gaydon! Now where did I get that idea from?

YS

cornish-stormrider
6th Aug 2007, 15:00
:E:E:EMy translation of the jungle drums as viewed by my crystal balls-up is....

St Mawgan will be sold off, then repurchased at current property values, all the RM will be moved to ISK,ISL and Buchan! Typoohn and Dave/Son of Dave/Bastar$ised abortion offspring of something that resembles Dave will be housed in RAF ChivMawgansoner.......

But you will all have to go down to the wavy at Killdrose to do a fitness test every 3.975375933 days to stay current and fit.

AT will be tendered out to BA as they need some money to pay the fines.

All Rotary will be given to some pikey with a roll of grubby bent Fifty's

Thy new carriers will be twice the size and powered by prisoners manning oars:ok:

The rocks will be reformed into the army proper and given an iq boost.

All non directly aviation related staff will be given an immediate 25% pay cut for being Blunties.

The Pie warmers will be charged with crimes against humanity and we shall execute all pigs/snowdrops/SIB.

Lean teams will be given a detachment to bikini atoll where we shall resume the atom bomb tests.......

Who wants to join my AirForce.

P.S. my procurement plan is to buy some of what Dale Brown builds in the secret desert bases.....:E:E:E

Impiger
6th Aug 2007, 15:44
The second Typhoon base will be Wideawake so that the pilots can do hypersonic PIs in free airspace and still be poised for Southern QRA (Mount Pleasant) and Northern QRA (Bruntingthorpe).

The JCA might go there too on the grounds that it is so noisey it needs a population limited environment (donkeys don't count) it will also be easy to embark (or is that embarque?) on any passing CVF as it plies its way to project power in West Africa - which is the only SAG scenario that it appears in.

Assuming of course that the 100 year experiment hasn't ended and the Army have their hands on everything in which case everything will be at Southern airfields, parked in very straight lines and never flown.

Fishtailed
6th Aug 2007, 16:01
What's Dave?:confused::O:O:O

MarkD
6th Aug 2007, 19:02
Fishtailed - Dave (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F-35_Lightning_II)

Wensleydale
7th Aug 2007, 06:40
Fishtailed: A thread from many moons ago discussed what punchy name should be given to JSF. Since then it has been known in these hallowed pages as "Dave".