PDA

View Full Version : How Bad Is The Pilot Shortage In India?

Albotross
31st Jul 2007, 15:43
Any info is great guys...looking for number on Airbus mostly..Thanks everyone.

serious flyer
1st Aug 2007, 01:31
All companies on India are recruiting captains.
For Airbus Drivers,at least Kingfisher and Indigo that I know of.
Contracts are not the best, but this view depends on each one situation.
SF

powerstall
1st Aug 2007, 14:03
really cant say.... all i know now from a very reliable source is that they are allowing 2 expats to fly in tandem, no longer the one expat one indian national.

cheers!

Albotross
1st Aug 2007, 14:33
Thank you...anyone else with info.

incher
14th Aug 2007, 03:11
Well i am cpl student in South Africa and i can say from the number Indian students at flight schools their is a boom in the aviation sector but most airlines still have large portion of their fleets on order so the demand is not great as expected or rumoured! Hope this helps:ok:

kiwi chick
14th Aug 2007, 03:36
Theres a shortage at the moment cos they're all over here in New Zealand learing how to fly... ;)

speedtwoten
14th Aug 2007, 06:03
yes they are really need pilots, but they are not ready to accept expats, most of the contracts are not as the real when you are come, and they are use to cheat you look at this thread "Huge Expat Tax Evasion Investigation in India" thats for real happen to expats at Indian Express and Jet Lite/Air Sahara so be carefull

Nevrekar
14th Aug 2007, 10:40
There is a shortage of experienced Captains in India expected to last for atleast the next 3-5 years. At Spicejet we have a surplus of F/O's but not Capts. Many folks are (Indians) are pursing aviation b/c the pay is great compared to the norm in terms of professionals. A pilot can make 10 times what an engineer can make in a month with much less time vested in training.
Assume a new F/O joins with 250 hrs, within 5 years they will have the minimum time requirement for command, and assuming they have passed the written exams and are suitable they will be in the left seat. However with the projected growth, there will still be a need for expat Capts. But the Indian carriers have to be able to match the pay packages and benefits for people to stay. Many opt for Middle-East/Japan/Korea because of the commuting issue and pay and not having to deal with India and it's nuances.

air_cowboy
17th Aug 2007, 13:46
Nevrekar...

what is the situation with hiring F/O's at spicejet (including locals)? How long do u anticipate before the slump sets in?

a_c.

Nevrekar
17th Aug 2007, 15:25
Spicejet has no expat F/Os' and is not hiring any expat F/O's. I'm told that they continue to interview and hire local F/O's through their cadet program or direct entry for Indian Capts and F/O's with ratings and experience. Expat Capts are continually sought. As far as a "slump" I am no expert but I've been told for Indian F/O's, they need to be hired somewhere in the next two years. Spicejet is smart in picking up as many locals as they can now even though they might have a surplus right now. This way with growth they are well positioned as far as manning is concerned. Right now F/O's have a country club schedule and only fly 2-3 times a week.

Kumardeep123
18th Aug 2007, 16:35
Hi,

I am an analyst with a leading bank.

I am looking forward to become an airline pilot can some one help me with info on getting a fair and low cost deal on CPL Training.

vinayak
18th Aug 2007, 17:39
stick with ur job... not many jobs available... holding indian cpl since 5 months, unemployed...

skytrek21
18th Aug 2007, 20:24
Holding Indian CPL for 5 months and unemployed....unbelieveable.....did you try all the airlines there....heard KF is hiring into the ATR's and so is Deccan. You should really try hard or come to US and do a type rating on either the NG, bus or ATR. That might improve your chances much better....just my tip.

Nevrekar
19th Aug 2007, 03:53
The quickest way is to get all your ratings in the USA. It will take 6-8 months and cost betwen $50,000-80,000 depending on where you go. Then you have to convert your licenses to Indian ones (a nightmare I'm told). If you are young enough you can apply via the cadet program where the airline picks up the tab for all your training, but you have to sign a training bond of several thousand dollars. Look up the websites of all the key players and click on careers link. Good luck! The time to do it is now. Oh I almost forgot, don't get into the airlines just because of the money--you will regret it. Find out if you have the aptitude for it and a passion for aviation. Too many folks seem to be doing it in India and elsewhere for the wrong reasons.

viking320
2nd Sep 2007, 20:30
HI NEVREKAR
HAVE YOU GOT ANY INFO ON iNDIGO
ARE THEY HIRNG S/O ,OR F/O IF SO WHEN ANY CONTACT INFO
WHAT IS HAPPENING WITH THE TYPE RATING PROGRAMS BY ICP,BOND,CAE,SIMCORP
ETC
ANY NEWS WOULD BE GOOD

Nevrekar
3rd Sep 2007, 02:45
:(:pI am at Spicejet so I do not know anything about Indigo. If I do hear something I will be happy to post. B737NG guys--apply directly to spicejet.
[email protected]. You can mention my name Nevrekar. Looking for lots of NG drivers (Capts only) with 500 hrs PIC in type. Also under age 60.
DGCA just changed the rule--if you can't fly in your home country over 60, then you cannot do it here either. Guys already here are grandfathered.
Many are going to other ICAO countries (permitting over 60 flying) and getting their licenses converted so they can fly here. Once the US rule changes it will be a non issue.
Spicejet, simply put is --"GOOD PEOPLE." Expect to fly 6 days a week and over 100 hrs/month. 10 weeks on/2 weeks off. Some negatives:
1. Constant daily schedule changes. Can't make plans. I have personally invited friends & family thrice in 2 months, only to have a schedule change, leaving my wife home to entertain.
2. Rumour has it that crews may be shifted to "guest houses" instead of 5 star hotels (cost cutting). If that happens, I know many expat Capts will say goodbye. I expect many F/O's who are not on a bond will seek other pastures.

Disregard the icons above--dont know how they got there or how to get rid of them!

speedtwoten
3rd Sep 2007, 04:25
Nevrekar, this is Indian :cool:the first year you are here, they will make you "first class" so you don't feel work is hard in India;) but there after whatever their reason it comes what they says "cost cutting" then you know how you feel to live in India:ugh:read the thread from Air India Express:} cheating/lying is everydays culture in India, I think you have also to post in this forum how are your F/O behaviour in average also the CRM:*

Nevrekar
4th Sep 2007, 02:18
For the record I am an expat Capt (US) and we have expats here who have been here more than 2 years and are not looking to go anywhere. Spicejet folks are truly helpul and are doing whatever they can. Yes there are certainly negatives as well. Even the flattest pancake has two sides, my friend. Folks(me included) for the most part complain about the rostering but not the people. Management is very approachable. As far as the F/O's go, they have all been very professional and respectful. Granted, most have low experience but most would be just as lost with 200 hrs of Cessna time and in a jet. As a contractor, those are the cards dealt to you. It's not always a rosy picture but you don't have to accept the terms if you don't want to. The guys that don't last here are the guys who are not able to adjust to the environment (completely undertandable, as India is not for everyone), or those you come here to collect a paycheck, already pissed off that they had to come to the land of the brown skinners to work, and then start badmouthing the company, the culture,country, the people etc etc. If it's that bad then leave--just like a bad marriage! Why prolong the agony? I am sure any of you could not stand someone working in your country and then proceeding to malign the nation. No one says you have to love the place, just be diplomatic/discreet in how you voice your views. Most contracts offer a 30 day out clause, exercise it. You will be healthier and less stressed. I've been told that two expat Capts (US/UK) had their contracts ended for the very reason mentioned above. It goes to show that while they are short Capts, they are NOT going to put up with a bad attitude. By the way at Spice our Chief Pilot is an American, as is the Deputy Chief Pilot. CP is former CP/DO Southwest and DCP is retired Delta Airlines. B737NG guys who want to come to India, send your resume to [email protected]. We will leave the light on for you!
If you have never been to India, I suggest you come here for a few days to check things out (buddy pass etc). You might be able to make an informed decision. If India is not for you, then there is China, Korea, Africa, Arabia.
I humbly submit that I doubt that you will get better treatment in the above mentioned places.

singesavant
4th Sep 2007, 03:31
Just a question: I'm actually on my way for the FAA CPL(H) and IFR, do you have an idea on what's going on in this huge country concerning the rotorhead market, I mean in regard with "low times"?

Whish you good fly...

Kumardeep123
31st Dec 2007, 00:37
Hi,

I have been trying my best to arrange money to pay for my CPL Training.
What bothers me is if i invest all my savings and get into debts will i get a job once i am back in india.

Kindly help me know the current market situations and any good filght school in US or Aus.

Cheers,
Kumardeep

NGFellow
31st Dec 2007, 01:05
Unless you have a great love for aviation I would suggest you look elsewhere. if you start training now, you will not be done for another 6-8 months, plus the conversion process etc. It will be 1 year minimum before you will be employable. By that time 5,000 applicants will be on the scene trying to get jobs. You will out of money struggling to get by. Having said all that, if aviation is your passion then motor on. There are many joining aviation not b/c they love it, but for the pay and benefits that are offered. Many of those will leave the industry once the going gets tough.

masalama
31st Dec 2007, 07:14
nevrekar,

it's nice to see a balanced and informative "expat" post on the scene in India , I fly for one of your competitors in the ever changing,merging Indian domestic aviation market ....I am an Indian national.
Spice definitely has done what few had expected of it originally and the loads ($#% through security ) are great, yes we do listen to the pax numbers :} hehe ...
There are things that can improve and we all hope they will ....I guess for the industry to survive this rapid expansion , the experience and skills of the expat is required and appreciated although not always portrayed or conveyed across .
Happy flying and have a great new year.
masalama.

johnriketes
31st Dec 2007, 07:32
There is a shortage of pilots.

Some person has just bought a brand new DA 900/EX and there is nobody around to fly it.

rdr
31st Dec 2007, 07:44
Coming up to my 1st year in India as an expat. Its been just great, compared to the Far East and Europe.
Happy New Year to all,
RDR:ok::ok::ok:

av8r76
31st Dec 2007, 07:47
That's because these guys can't see beyond that shiny A320 or B737 parked on the tarmac. Even now guys are reluctant to get into ATR's and CRJ's.

Another reason is that corp's are looking for captains with experience (for which the shortage really exists) and they rotate right/left flying duties.
But based on the current scenario this will also change.

just a groundhog
31st Dec 2007, 23:13
Is that another 900EX?

I thought they already had one VT- ISH

johnriketes
1st Jan 2008, 06:43
If IST has a crew to fly it, then it is not the one.

flightknight
1st Jan 2008, 06:44
No shortage of F/O s in India. There is a shortage for type rated Captains. New F/O s need a type rating , 500 + hours or a grand uncle:ok: in the right place.

johnriketes
1st Jan 2008, 06:51
Are you suggesting there is corruption and nepotism in India? Perish the thought!

No I wouldn't have thought there would be any of that sort of behaviour in India.:}:ugh:

shuchim
2nd Jan 2008, 09:31
hi to all i am 20 yr indian national and completed my aircraft maintenance engineering from dgca india and want some guideance on cadet pilot scheme started by spice jet and kingfisher that when joining will start and what question mainly ask in interview and what is psychometry and aptitude test ? from where to prepare for all this kind of test .pls reply anyone

TWN PPL
3rd Jan 2008, 00:28
http://www.time.com/time/business/article/0,8599,1698974,00.html

speedtwoten
3rd Jan 2008, 01:30
TWN PPL, just wonder when is the accident will happen to wake their pilots up from drinking:ugh:

alexmcfire
3rd Jan 2008, 07:20
So any limitations for foreigners flying to airports like Port Blair and Leh?