PDA

View Full Version : LHR-BKK: BA vs Thai

big.al
30th Jul 2007, 15:30
Planning a trip next year including Heathrow to Bangkok and return.

I'd prefer direct rather than via Dubai, Qatar etc. Choices are narrowed down to BA or Thai, with BA being an extra £50pp.

Eva Air are more expensive and don't fly on our ideal dates, so from experience would you say that BA (with their seat-back TVs etc) are better value than Thai (with standard cabin tellies and less IFE choice) for the extra fifty quid? The cost is negligible so I'm looking for the best comfort and service on a relatively long-haul flight.

Views appreciated.

Thanks,
big.al

BOFH
30th Jul 2007, 20:18
I doubt that there will be too much difference in the type of passenger. TG has better seat pitch, so if you have no FF allegiance you may wish to plump for them and treat yourselves when you are over there. You can have a lot of IFE for the price of a good book.

I have been spoiled by CC of both carriers in the past.

Have a pleasant trip. Bangkok is the flower of the East.

BOFH

Tropicalchief
31st Jul 2007, 05:25
Going to Bangkok? Thai Airways everytime, there is no comparison with the cramped and crowded atmosphere of British Airways. In fact if you are flying anywhere it is the Asian carriers for me for the reason that they are far superior to the European carriers in all classses of service.
Besides you may be lucky and find yourself on one of their newly refurbished 747-400's.

marra
31st Jul 2007, 20:19
the CC are by far the most reliable and flexible in the industry. Great english charm coupled with excellent customer service. Plus they now have on demand entertainment and with over 70 channels to choose from.

bermudatriangle
31st Jul 2007, 20:38
both provide fabulous service,depending entirely on the crew on your particular flight.one fond memory of thai was travelling standby from phuket to bangkok,only a 50 minute sector.the flight was busy and my colleague and me were onloaded into business class but advised no meals,not a problem,just glad to be onboard.once airborne the crew set our tables with cloths and cuttlery,i reminded the crew that we were airline staff and no meals were available.they advised us that they wanted to serve us their crew meals and even offered us a choice !they took real pleasure in offering us both a meal and wanted to make sure we had enjoyed it,what a tremendous gesture.
i have also enjoyed numerous fantastic flights with BA,but only ever received what i was entitled to.book either with confidence,you can't go wrong.

Impress to inflate
31st Jul 2007, 22:26
Done the trip 18 times with BA, great servise, no compaints. My wife has just flow home via BKK and says the new airport is great.

ZFT
31st Jul 2007, 23:47
Your wife must have flown from a different new airport then. VTBS is bl00dy appalling.

Rush2112
1st Aug 2007, 03:17
^^^ LOL. Great post mate.

Extra seat pitch outweighs IFE I should say on a 12 hour flight.

Salusa
1st Aug 2007, 07:41
Just flew TG over a week ago, LHR-BKK-CGK.

I normally fly SQ, but will be using Thai from now on.

Brilliant crew, good service, I actually enjoyed the flight rather than wishing my life away for 12 hours. All this in economy.!!

Also bear in mind, IMHO, as a rule, all Asian airlines supercede the Euro's in terms of service. :)

big.al
2nd Aug 2007, 10:39
Thanks for the replies. It's settled - Thai it is.