PDA

View Full Version : Aspiring pilot needs advice and info

Dan_Graham
29th Jul 2007, 14:09
Hi all, this is my first post on PPRune, and i seek to pick your collective brains.

In 2 years time i will have graduated from university, and intend to go to flying school to get my fATPL. Therefore I intend to do some thorough research on the industry, so I know what I'm letting myself in for! Firstly, I would like to know if anyone has any information on the best schools or schemes out there. Are they difficult to get on, do any offer schemes linked to airlines, is there much in the way of sponsorship these days?

Secondly, how is the industry as a whole looking? I'm talking in 3 - 5 years time, are the prospects of getting a job good, and if so, is this likely to continue? I'm not expecting to walk into the RHS of an airline jet, but are there good prospects of getting on the ladder?

Thirdly, do you have any advice on what I could be doing now and during the next 2 years of uni to maximise my chances of getting into flight school/getting a job? I intend to take a few private lessons, get some hours under the belt, but being a student these will be few and far between! Would this be worth it? Is it worth sending out letters to airlines etc enquiring whether they offer sponsorship, whether they will be recruiting etc?

Finally, could you recommend any good websites/magazines etc to keep my eye on? Which are the best for keeping me in the picture regarding current affairs?

If anyone could offer me any advice or info regarding the above, or indeed their honest opinion on aviation, I would be most grateful.

Dan

EZYramper
29th Jul 2007, 14:16
Pilot Info Centre PPRUNE (http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=131649)

That has the answer to all your questions. There is info on all the main topics of becoming a pilot.

As for what you can do at uni, if there is a University air Squadron why not join that and get some free hours? Also joining anything team-related wouldn't hurt.

I subscribe to Flight International which is good for keeping current on the industry, there are tons of other mags as well which I'm sure are just as good. FI tends to advertise any new job roles though.