PDA

View Full Version : joining the RAF

Craigeedee
28th Jul 2007, 19:24
I know Asthma and the RAF has been discussed many times, but i have a different one :).

I am currently training for my PPL and in my medical i meationed that i had asthma at a very young age, and that it was very mild hardly a problem.

When trying to apply for the RAF, i know having asthma is bad news anyway, but do you think they will check my medical from the CAA or anything like that.

Thanks

Double Zero
28th Jul 2007, 19:33
Well don't you reckon the RAF might look here ? In which case let's hope your spelling was casual...

Good luck though sincerely !

warty99
28th Jul 2007, 21:00
The RAF is going to ask you directly whether you have ever suffered from asthma. They will also check your medical records from your GP, where the original diagnosis will be recorded. Rather than trying to hide it (I'm sure as a potential officer you wouldn't, but ...) you need to start working on getting it down on your records as a misdiagnosis.

tablet_eraser
28th Jul 2007, 23:48
The gamble is:
Tell the truth, and risk missing out on one career path among many.
Lie, and risk being found out, in which case you can kiss goodbye to the career altogether.
Sorry to be so blunt, but lying isn't something you should be considering; it doesn't tend to go down too well if you contradict your medical records without a very solid reason.
As Warty99 says, though, maybe you should consider talking to your GP before your medical about whether he could record the asthma as a misdiagnosis? Lots of people were diagnosed with "mild" asthma in the 80s and 90s, when it seemed almost to be in fashion; not many of them will ever have had an asthma attack or anything to prove that the diagnosis was correct. Since your desired career might hang on this, maybe a polite chat with your GP is the best way to go.
Whatever happens, best of luck for your application.
IANAD.

Pontius Navigator
29th Jul 2007, 07:45
Craigeedee,

The misdiagnosis line is a good one. It might also help if you knew exactly what was written.

If you have not got a copy of your notes you may submit a 'subject access request' to your GP. As we are talking dark ages the cost may by no more than £50 IIRC. Your GP's Data Controller, usually the GP, has to respond within 21 days (a Government promise) although the FOI stipulates 40 days.

It is possible you might get a holding reply first.

Incidentally you can look at your records for free. If you were happy just for the relevant time period then thi smight reduce the costs. The GP is also required to explain any medical terms and abbreviations for instance NFL or NFN which are Normal for Lincolnshire - slow and rural or Normal for Norfolk - dim. These terms are no longer used now that you have the right to see your own records but you may find them in earlier notes.

Report Line
29th Jul 2007, 15:07
My boy wanted a career in the RAF. I took him to the CIO and we filled out the form (I think he was 14 at the time). He wanted to fly C17 however, the registering of infantile asthma on his proforma soon resulted in a permanently unfit for flying assessment. I have queried this with the CIO who said that they are not short of applicants so can afford to be choosey. I did draft a letter to the president of the medical board at Cranwell but subsequently dicovered that my son's career aspirations have changed to the darker blue on the non flying side. I did a bit of investigating in the background to discover that the CIO were correct and that the RAF do have a slightly high standard set (higher than the RN) but because they had no shortage of applicants could afford to have blocks in the system (even if they did not have full relevance).

I have questionned my son's decision to try another career path but he is certain that he wishes to do something else and his final choice has nothing to do with the RAF's initial decision. I suppose if it had I would have put up a bit of a fight. Thoughts?

snoopy1107
30th Jul 2007, 08:45
Report Line,

I have friends that are in their mid 20's that still change their minds every 6 months on what they want to do, im sure in time your son will see the 'light' (blue)

Snoopy

An Teallach
30th Jul 2007, 08:56
Craigeedee

Most GPs won't charge you for access to your own records, they may charge you the cost of making copies of anything you want to take away.

Write to your practice and they will arrange a time for you to view your records. Alternatively, just arrange an appt with your GP and discuss the issue with him / her. The GP may well be sympathetic to re-evaluating a diagnosis of juvenile asthma that is non-recurrent .

Selection
30th Jul 2007, 18:11
Craigeedee,
Unfortunately, a number of people who arrive at OASC claim to have suffered a minor childhood wheezing problem that on inspection of their medical records turns out to be more than they are willing to admit (even to themselves). You have been given the best advice already in this thread in that there is no point in you attempting to conceal the fact. Before you will be seen at OASC your GP will be asked to forward your Medical Attendance Record (MAR). The OASC President of the Medical Board will read your MAR before you are invited for selection. The good news is that a genuine childhood (non-recurring) wheeze is not a bar to entry for pilot training. The rules pertaining to such medical conditions change from time to time and rather than decline your application, where possible, OASC will move mountains for candidates with a strong aptitude and good officer potential.

As of 2 Sep 07 you will not undergo a medical board until after selection (Part One is aptitude, interview and exercise phase/ Part 2 is medical and fitness test - Part 2 will take place some weeks after Part One). It is important that you do not attempt to conceal possible problems, as has been said before, to do so demonstrates a lack of integrity and post-selection OASC would not be happy to find that you had been economical with the truth.

Good luck

Floater AAC
30th Jul 2007, 20:33
I joined the Army in 1994 having suffered childhood asthma. The rules at the time were that you must have been clear of an attack for four years. 1998 passed aircrew selection medical at RAF Cranwell and have been flying since. Never hid the fact and it was never an issue as the medical types understand that some cases can simply be grown out of. As your lungs grow, the problem stays at its original size and is no longer a factor. Go for it and good luck. The amount of people leaving may also help you out. In fact I'm one of them; you can take my place.:ok:

cockanelli
30th Jul 2007, 20:53
It seems from a few cases I have seen first hand that what has happened is that if your child was coughing / wheezing a bit and you took him/her to the Docs, they would immediately try Ventalin. Unfortunately, if that didn't work, the doc said "Oh well, not asthma then, lets try something else" but your records now show up that you have been prescribed Ventalin that the RAF will see as a diagnosis of Asthma. They cannot seem to get their heads out of their ar$es and see that they are losing some very good potential candidates for the sake of a misdiagosis. In my experience, I have never een the decision reversed.

Pontius Navigator
30th Jul 2007, 21:24
I was prescribed Ventalin in 1977 and your comment "Oh that didn't work" was spot on.

kiwi chick
31st Jul 2007, 01:42
I have to add to this - don't try to hide it:

a) because they will find out and you'll look bad, and
b) the ruling is there for a reason and if you DO have "real" asthma you are only putting yourself and the rest of the crew at risk!

Or am I naieve?! ;)

Pontius Navigator
31st Jul 2007, 07:52
I have to add to this - don't try to hide it:
a) because they will find out and you'll look bad, and
b) the ruling is there for a reason and if you DO have "real" asthma you are only putting yourself and the rest of the crew at risk!
Or am I naieve?! ;)

Kiwi, naive, no, simply repeating what Selection said.

As for your second point, this is a very real risk. A minor problem on the ground is always magnified in the air; in one sense that is why large passenger aircraft carry two pilots. It is also why they have two engines too.

Craig, how would you, as a passenger, feel flying with a fully serviceable engine and one that was known to be a bit dodgy?