PDA

View Full Version : Taliban in first heat-seeking missile attack

nigegilb
28th Jul 2007, 08:35
Probably old news for anyone in theatre, but worrying all the same. SA7 firing reported here, but of more concern the supplier, the State of Iran. Obvious inaccuracy in the article concerning XV179, also makes me wonder about whether it was a 7 or something more modern

Stay safe guys.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/07/28/wafg128.xml

Double Zero
28th Jul 2007, 09:33
I'm just sitting in my comfy chair in Sussex, but I'd have rather tended to bet the Taliban have kept a lot of Stingers ' in case they came in handy one day ' - and the ability of unsophisicated types to replicate or maintain such kit is on record...

fat albert
28th Jul 2007, 09:51
Either a slow news day or the Defence Correspondent has let his 9 yr old have a go at filling some column inches. Thinking his 3 yr old was let loose with the crayons for the graphics too.

:hmm:

High_lander
28th Jul 2007, 14:28
From the diagram in the article, it looks like an AC-130 that was shot at.

I do like those "Angel Wings" that are created with the flares

[:

LateArmLive
28th Jul 2007, 15:28
"First Heat Seeking missile attack"? :zzz:Absolute toss.

Report Line
28th Jul 2007, 16:14
Remember, they have to have an edge to the story. First, Highest, Most expensive, etc etc. Facts are the first victim to the ratings war!:hmm:

SilsoeSid
28th Jul 2007, 18:32
Lets just hope the battery problems continue!

NutLoose
28th Jul 2007, 18:40
I remember reading somewhere the Stingers they were provided with were on some sort of time constraint, after a certain date they would not work as they shut themselves down.

Double Zero
28th Jul 2007, 20:01
Even better, all arms suppliers should make the object do a 180 turn & home on the user after an allotted time - this would help product support contracts, or sort out friends who had become enemies, in a big way! :E