PDA

View Full Version : Special meals on Cyprus Airways

Truck2005
27th Jul 2007, 19:47
Unfortunately, due to many reasons, we are having to fly this bunch again. My wife is allergic to cheese/based products. Time and again we have prebooked a non dairy meal to ensure no cheese, only to find that the CS has no idea what I am talking about ie no meal booked on the manifest or the only one has been given to another, (again, meal not booked).

Anyone have a serious suggestion as to how to get what I ask for with this bunch? (Serious being the operative what, bearing in mind the consequences of giving her one with a bit of cheese in it).

Oh for BA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

Atishoo
27th Jul 2007, 20:20
Yeah Truck

i have an idea abt this "bunch" if you so dislike them why no ttry a different airline, like BA, or olympic?

I dont think u should call anyone a "bunch", those crews do their best under cramped circumstances mostly, with grumbling passengers too, you could do a lot worse than CA i can tell u. and why not go to M & S and get ya Missus a cheese free whatever free sarny, that way sh ewill be happy !

creamegg
27th Jul 2007, 20:59
Are you allowed to carry food on planes which has been bought outwith the security off the airport? :confused:

We are frequent travellers and we have always had food taken off us, so now we dont take any...my sis (pain in the ass :*) is a vegan and so always has probs no matter who she flies with and would love to take an M & S sandwich lol

TSR2
27th Jul 2007, 23:36
Never had a problem taking food through security.

Truck2005
28th Jul 2007, 04:07
I appreciate that CS have a hard time pleasing everyone all the time and it is not them I am aiming at, (they can only use the goods they are supplied with). Due to a variety of reasons ie Departure/arrival times etc their timings meet our requirements, (BA are too early at both ends). The problem is always the lack of communication between the schedulers and the caterers.

It seems this problem is right across the airline industry. We flew KLM to Muscat and she was served a cheese based flan, did not know it until too late and her tongue swelled up, (despite pre-ordering and informing the Purser).

I ask the question as we do not fly that frequently now and I thought a regular flyer may know of a way of getting the message across.

As I said, the consequences of getting it wrong :(

boyo25
28th Jul 2007, 17:44
If the 'the consequences of getting it wrong' are as serious as an extreme allergic reaction such as tongue swelling, why ever would you chance it? Your previous experiences tell you that even WITH pre-ordering they can still make a mistake...

The small print of most airlines will tell you a special meal request is just that - a request, with no guarantee of it being delivered on the day.

If you need a guarantee of a cheese free meal, then take your own. As long as there are no liquids, then you will be able to take it through security. And it'll be tastier!

Truck2005
28th Jul 2007, 17:53
I wasn't aware that you could take food on board, (what with the numerous health scares that we have had recently), but if that is so I shall enquire with CA.

boyo25
28th Jul 2007, 18:05
Yep, you can take your own food.

I'm crew for a large airline, subjected to the same security scrutiny as our passengers - and I've been taking my own food to work for a long time (I'm coeliac and, like you, can't rely on the airline providing me with a suitable meal).

Just make sure it's not soup!

Atishoo
28th Jul 2007, 19:33
I just went through Luton airport and they have a marks and spencers in their departure lounge, so plenty of cheese LESS choice there...... i never complain abt any airline, im just happy they get me there safe and sound. :)

TFlyguy
28th Jul 2007, 23:56
Try ordering a vegan meal - guaranteed no dairy on that!

Truck2005
29th Jul 2007, 11:07
TFlyguy,
I ordered a Vegan meal on one MCT flight for her and guess what? It had cheese all over the top. Apparently, that is acceptable. A low or nil dairy product meal should be ordered. That is what the problem is, the agents seem to ignore it!

TSR2
29th Jul 2007, 12:14
From very real personal experience.

The potential complications associated with tongue swelling (breathing restriction) are so serious they can result in emergency hospitalisation. The fact that no complications have been experienced to date is no guarantee whatsoever for the future.

I would strongly recommend that you do not take any risks with airline food and source your own.

Truck2005
29th Jul 2007, 12:29
Yup, from what you all have said I think that is the way to go. many thanks for all of your directions, at least I have learnt something.

ladyflyby
29th Jul 2007, 12:56
I always take my own food and I'm cabin crew! I have a dairy allergy and just can't afford to risk being ill.