PDA

View Full Version : GPS Approaches introduced - See AIP Supp

Sir George Cayley
26th Jul 2007, 20:20
Got a call this evening from one of those nice people at the CAA.

They suggested I have a look at the AIS website and in particular the latest Suuplement to the AIP. Sure enough S22/2007 appears to be the green light for the start of GPS approaches (albeit limited to 5 airports for now)

As posting a link to AIS is no good if one has not pre-registered, I've cut and pasted it herebelow. Mods I hope this doesn't breach any rules:

UK RNAV (GNSS) INSTRUMENT APPROACH PROCEDURES

1 Introduction

1.1 The CAA has approved the use in the UK of RNAV (GNSS) Approach procedures. RNAV (GNSS) 2-Dimensional Non-Precision Approach (NPA) procedures and 3-Dimensional Barometric VNAV (APV Baro VNAV) approach procedures will be authorised only to suitable instrument runways, at appropriately equipped licensed aerodromes with Air Traffic Control (ATC) services.

2 General

2.1 Notified RNAV (GNSS) approach procedures will be available for use by all Instrument and IMC Rated pilots of UK and foreign registered aircraft. Aircraft must have suitably approved equipment.

2.2 UK AOC holder's approval to fly these approaches will be administered under current CAA oversight arrangements.

2.3 CAP 773, Flying RNAV (GNSS) Approaches in General Aviation Aircraft, due for publication in August 2007 will provide guidance to pilots and instructors in the use of GPS for approach operations. The CAP contains some technical information on the function of GPS together with equipment requirements, human factors considerations, training and practical guidance for the use of GPS during RNAV (GNSS) approach operations.

2.4 CAA Safety Sense Leaflet No.25 (Use of GPS) has been updated to include safety related guidance and information on the use of GPS in IMC and on instrument approaches.

3 Aircraft Navigation System

3.1 The aircraft navigation system shall include at least one GPS receiver. The navigation system must be approved to conduct:

(a) RNAV (GNSS) stand-alone approaches1; or,
(b) Approaches of RNP 0.3 or RNP-RNAV0.3 type2.

3.2 All approved installations must have the appropriate approval for RNAV (GNSS) approach operations entered in the Aircraft Flight Manual (AFM), Pilot Operating Handbook (POH) or equivalent.

The navigation system can be as a minimum:

(a) A system only based on GNSS having at least one GPS receiver qualified to TSO-C129a / ETSO-C129a Class A1 or
TSO-C146()3 / ETSO-C146() Class Gamma and operational class 1, 2 or 3; or,

(b) Amulti-sensor system (eg, Flight Management System) having at least one GPS receiver qualified to TSO-C129() / ETSO- C129() Class B1, C1, B3 or C3 or TSO-C145() / ETSO-C145() class 1, 2 or 3 (with equivalent integration guidance).

3.3 Any operating limitations mentioned in the AFM, concerning use of the navigation system on RNAV (GNSS) approach procedures must be observed.

3.4 Pilots must be able to determine that the on-board aeronautical database and software version in use for the navigation system is valid for the time of flight. The entire approach procedure must be loadable, by name, from the navigation database.

Manually entered and overlay procedures must not be used as the primary reference on any approach, at any time.

1Designations may include RNAV/GNSS approach, RNAV/GPS approach, stand-alone GPS approach or GPS Non-Precision Approach (NPA).

2 The terminology used in Aircraft Flight Manuals may vary between aircraft types.

3 () refers to any version of the Equipment Technical Standard Order is acceptable eg, TSO-C129 or TSO-C129a.

4 Pilot Training and Licensing

4.1 Training requirements in the use of RNAV (GNSS) approaches will now be added to the IMC and IR rating syllabi. These changes will be published by AIC and notified directly to heads of training by the CAA Chief Flight Examiner (CFE). Further information will be available by press release and via industry representative bodies. Guidance for instructors, Flight Training Organisations (FTOs) and Registered Facilities on the training requirements and technical information for pilots will be made available on the CAA website in the form of CAP 773. This will ensure that new pilots are appropriately trained in GNSS approach operations. Flight Training and Testing Policy is available at: http://www.caa.co.uk/pld

4.2 Existing IMC Rating and IR holders are formally advised to undergo additional training to the satisfaction of an instructor holding a recognised, current instructor qualification who is qualified to teach for the Instrument or IMC Rating, in accordance with LASORS and either JAR FCL 1 or JAR FCL 2, as applicable to the aircraft to be flown.

4.3 The attention of all pilots is directed to Safety Sense Leaflet No. 25 and appropriate guidance material as detailed above. CAA web guidance is currently being developed to address specific training and approval aspects for RNAV for all phases of flight.

4.4 Non-UK licence holders must have appropriate training, equivalent to the above, and meet the national requirements of their licensing authority.

5 Aerodrome Licensing

5.1 The CAA Safety Regulation Group (SRG) Aerodrome Standards Department has issued a Notice to Aerodrome Licence Holders (NOTAL) specifying the responsibilities and actions required of licence holders intending to introduce RNAV (GNSS) procedures.

6 Aerodrome Procedures

6.1 Individual aerodromes wishing to introduce an RNAV (GNSS) approach are to request the design of an instrument approach procedure using the following: http://www.caa.co.uk/docs/7/dap_ta_ifprequestform.pdf
The request is to be made to the Head of Controlled Airspace Section at the Directorate of Airspace Policy (DAP).

6.2 To enable a design to be initiated, aerodromes must have an up-to-date obstacle survey that complies with CAP 232 Aerodrome Survey Information requirements. Where instrument flight procedures do not currently exist, or new procedures introduce markedly different flight profiles, aerodrome operators should be aware of the requirements of the Airspace Change Process published in CAP 725 Airspace Change Process Guidance Document. Both CAP 232 and 725 are available via the CAA website.

7 Aerodrome Operating Minima

7.1 RNAV (GNSS) Approaches. Aerodrome operating minima for RNAV(GNSS) approaches shall be calculated in accordance with the method published for Non-Precision Approaches in UK AIP AD 1.1.2 with a system minima of no lower than 250 ft MDH.

7.2 APV Baro VNAV Approaches. Instructions on the calculation of aerodrome operating minima for APV Baro VNAV approaches will be published prior to the introduction of these procedures.

8 Aerodromes

8.1 Currently five licensed aerodromes, as listed below, have approval for RNAV (GNSS) procedures. It is intended that these procedures will be available from 30 August 2007.

Blackpool
Durham Tees Valley
Exeter
Gloucestershire
Inverness

9 ATS Providers – Information

9.1 The CAA SRG Air Traffic Standards Department has issued an Air Traffic Services Information Notice (ATSIN) outlining the responsibilities and actions required of ATS providers at aerodromes intending to introduce RNAV (GNSS) procedures.

10 Pre-Flight Planning

10.1 Aircraft operators shall ensure that the appropriate coverage from GNSS is provided for the intended flight. Receiver
Autonomous Integrity Monitor (RAIM) availability prediction should take into account the GPS constellation predicted for the duration of the flight, NOTAM and avionics architecture eg, Baro aiding input. Software tools available on the Internet can be used for this purpose eg, AUGUR4 or through the aircraft navigation system RAIM prediction capability, if provided. In the event of a predicted, continuous loss of appropriate level of fault detection of more than 5 minutes for any part of the RNAV (GNSS) approach procedure, the flight planning should be revised eg, delaying the departure or planning a different approach procedure.

10.2 RAIM availability prediction software does not guarantee the service; they are tools to assess the expected capability to meet the required navigation performances. Because of failure of some GNSS elements, operators must be aware that RAIM, or GPS navigation altogether, may be lost while airborne which may require reversion to an alternative means of navigation. Therefore, pilots should assess their capability to navigate (potentially to an alternate destination) in case of failure of GPS navigation. 4 AUGUR has been developed by EUROCONTROL and is available at http://augur.ecacnav.com/

11 Method of Operation

11.1 Standard air traffic control procedures for sequencing and separating aircraft will apply at all times during RNAV approaches.

11.2 Pilots shall request clearance to fly the procedure. Clearance to fly the procedure permits the pilot to fly in accordance with the published procedure, following the descent profile.

11.3 The approach commences at the Initial Approach Fix (IAF).

11.4 RTF Phraseology: Pilots should request clearance to fly the procedure using the phraseology:

‘(Aircraft c/s), request RNAV approach, via (Initial Approach Fix Designator), runway xx’.

Where traffic conditions permit, air traffic controllers shall clear the pilot to follow the procedure using the following phraseology:

'(Aircraft c/s), cleared RNAV approach, runway xx, (report at (Initial Approach Fix designator))'.

For traffic sequencing and to aid situational awareness, air traffic controllers may request the pilot to report when established on final approach track or to report at any other relevant point in the procedure. For example:

'(Aircraft c/s), report 2 miles from final approach fix'.

Air Traffic Controllers shall instruct the pilot to report at the final approach fix, using the phraseology:

'(Aircraft c/s), report final approach fix'.

When Air Traffic Control is aware of problems with the GNSS system, the following phraseology shall be used:

'(Aircraft c/s), GNSS reported unreliable (or GNSS may not be available (due to interference)):
In the vicinity of (location) (radius) (between (levels)).
OR
In the area of (description) (between (levels)):

'(Aircraft c/s), GNSS unavailable for (specify operation) (from (time) to (time) (or until further notice)).

Following a RAIM indication, pilots shall inform the controller of the event and subsequent intentions.

'(Aircraft c/s) GNSS unavailable (due to (reason eg, Loss of RAIM or RAIM alert)) (intentions)'.

'(Aircraft c/s) Loss of RAIM or RAIM alert (intentions)'.

11.5 After reaching the final approach fix, the pilot will continue to fly the procedure towards the next waypoint, normally the runway threshold. At the appropriate time, the pilot will either continue with the air traffic clearance received or will execute the Missed Approach Procedure (MAP).

11.6 Missed Approach Procedure: To expedite the introduction of RNAV (GNSS) procedures, the Missed Approach Procedures will be conventional, using ground-based navigational aids. These will be reviewed in due course and, after detailed discussions with the airports to determine optimum hold locations and required tracks, will be converted to full RNAV MAPs. Environmental consultation will need to be considered for any new tracks. Until then, all MAPs will be straight ahead to a designated altitude with GNSS track guidance being provided towards the missed approach turning point only. At the designated altitude, or Missed Approach Turning Fix (MATF), whichever is the earlier, the pilot should revert to conventional navigation and route to the holding beacon ie, by making a turn to the beacon or a turn with continued climb to holding altitude at the beacon.

11.7 Loss of Communications: In the event of communications failure, the pilot should continue with the RNAV (GNSS) procedure in accordance with published loss of communication procedures.

12 Point of Contact

12.1 Pilots, ATS providers or aerodrome operators seeking further information on the establishment of RNAV (GNSS) Instrument Approach Procedures should contact:

Head of Controlled Airspace Section
Directorate of Airspace Policy
CAA House
45-59 Kingsway
London
WC2B 6TE
Tel: 020-7453 6510
E-mail: [email protected]

I think this is good news, but as usual it will need cleverer brians than me to tease out the catch 22's

Sir George Cayley (evnin' Crun)

matspart3
26th Jul 2007, 21:16
There are a few additional hurdles to overcome from the Airports' perspective, but its good news indeed.

A and C
27th Jul 2007, 09:18
At last an escape from the dark ages of ADF !

I have been looking back in my aircraft logbooks to find that the required equipment for GPS approaches was fitted in April 1996!!!!!!!!!!!

Hopefully this is an indication that all the old ex-RAF navigators in aviation house who blocked the use of GPS for so long are now drawing there pensions. I have to congratulate the current staff of the CAA for overcoming such intrenched attitudes but why oh why did it take so long?

henry crun
27th Jul 2007, 09:29
evnin' George :)

henry crun

High Wing Drifter
27th Jul 2007, 09:57
But how long will it be before non instrument fields can provide GPS approaches? That is what we really really need to trial. It would totally revitalise GA in this country!!

IO540
27th Jul 2007, 14:24
There are a few additional hurdles to overcome from the Airports' perspective

What, like having to employ 3 approach rated ATCOs at £70,000 each, plus employer's NIC, and having to spend a few tens of k for the approach design?

It's a great step forward on the landscape of regulatory politics, but in terms of increased GA utility there is a long way to go. Any navaid-based approach can be flown right now using the GPS overlay "for monitoring ;) " and these overlays have been in the IFR databases for years.

As HWD says, non-ATC approaches are desperately needed.

bookworm
27th Jul 2007, 14:57
There are a few additional hurdles to overcome from the Airports' perspective

Not just from the airports' perspective. Our GNS430 is perfectly capable of supporting a GPS approach -- no physical mods required. However, there's a placard that prohibits its use for GPS approaches. To remove the AFM limitation requires a major mod performed by a Part 21 Design Organisation (which the original installer isn't). So just for the paperwork for one aircraft, we're looking at a four-digit sum.

IO540
27th Jul 2007, 15:09
Bookworm - is this for going from a fresh IFR GPS install or from an installation which was previously BRNAV approved?

bookworm
27th Jul 2007, 15:11
From an installation which was previously and is currently BRNAV approved.

A and C
27th Jul 2007, 16:06
I can't see this being a job that will take the bill much past £250. This is if the unit was instaled IAW the TSO in the first place.

From the instalation of my unit it has had NO limitations at all but we paid close attention to the details of the TSO and installd the GPS in the way that the manufactures intended. I see a lot of instalations that have had corners cut in the way that they have been put into the aircraft.

The biggest problem with GPS is the technical side of the CAA had it's act together long before the operations people and so some reprisenatives of the CAA imposed limitations on instalations that they should not have or were only approprate to that opperator of the aircraft when working under public transport (AOC).

The whole thing is being blown out of proportion after all if you fitted a new ILS in the aircraft would you be going through all this nonsence?..... I think not!!

A and C
3rd Aug 2007, 08:01
It would seem that my GPS unit was fitted before the authouritys had given any thought to the matter what so ever.

So the correct answer to the question is that you do need a flight manual suppliment approved for your instalation.

Bendix/Knig produce a genaric FMS for all there units and if you can find an EASA FMS for your unit then that will do and all you will need to do is have the instalation checked to be IAW the TSO and submit the FMS for approval for your aircraft.

I cant see it all going the wrong side of £150 as long as the unit has been properly installed.

IO540
3rd Aug 2007, 10:11
A&C

The specimen flight manual supplement which can be found in the back of the GPS installation manual is OK for the FAA.

For EASA it's more complicated, apparently.

It would seem that my GPS unit was fitted before the authouritys had given any thought to the matter what so ever.

You are absolutely right there :ugh:

For years it was common CAA practice, when doing the initial CofA on a new G-reg which has an IFR GPS, to placard the GPS as "VFR only" and (if possible, and on the KLN94 this is indeed possible) to force the dealer to configure the GPS for VFR only so that e.g. overlay approaches are not visible. Then, a few years later, they may have wondered why so few G-reg planes were able to fly those trial GPS approaches :ugh:

S-Works
3rd Aug 2007, 11:52
I have a bit of paper stuck in the back of my POH that states the installation is approved for both BRNAV and approaches. Was done a couple of years ago.
I was under the impression that when I took part in the GPS trials it had to have this paperwork anyway.

My avionics company did the paperwork and at the time laughingly handed it over saying that it would never be any use to me unless as I flew to the USA in it as there were no GPS approaches in Europe. At least it is worth something now!!!!

A and C
3rd Aug 2007, 12:48
The EASA bit of paper for the KLN89B runs to eleven pages !

IO540
3rd Aug 2007, 14:37
I have a bit of paper stuck in the back of my POH that states the installation is approved for both BRNAV and approaches

Bose - is this from the CAA (and if so, which department) or from EASA? I presume this is a G-reg. Does it specifically mention GPS approaches?

MikeJ
11th Aug 2007, 13:08
Can someone help me here?
Where does it say in the ANO that a private pilot, with IR or IMCR, cannot use any method he likes to approach and land at an airfield/farm strip in IMC?
Where is the requirement to only use an approved approach procedure?

Last year a 2000hr PPL/IR was flying me into a licenced FISO airfield with no published instrument approach. He got info on the runway in use, etc., and that the circuit was clear, cloud 600ft broken. All he did was to set the runway bearing on his 430, intercept the line at 1000ft at 3nm to go, and then descend using the 430 as if he was on a LOC/DME approach. Of course, at 600ft, there was the runway dead ahead.

Please can someone point to where it says that this was not legal?
The ANO Instrument Flight Rules seem to say only that you may not be lower than 1000ft from any obstacle within 5 NM, except for the purposes of landing or taking off. No mention there of approved procedure, ATC, licenced airfield etc.

drauk
11th Aug 2007, 15:08
Please can someone point to where it says that this was not legal?

No. Such a thing doesn't exist (in the UK).

mm_flynn
11th Aug 2007, 15:41
The 'No Overlay Approach' and 'lack of approach certification' issues aren't about DIY approaches, they are about approaches in controlled airspace or declaring to ATC you are doing (for example) the NDB02 at Shoreham when you don't have an ADF or the NDB is u/s.

IO540
11th Aug 2007, 16:20
MikeJ

You are correct - this is 100% legal - in a G-reg including outside the UK where not prohibited in the local airspace.

FAR 91.175 appears to make it illegal in an N-reg, but it is legal to descend to MOCA so IOW you can fly a DIY IAP down to 1000ft.

mm_flynn

I am not sure where "controlled airspace" comes into this. Also, I have never seen legislation which says you have to have an ADF to fly an NDB approach. Common sense tells us you should, but that isn't the law AFAIK. You do have to have an ADF for IFR in CAS so in effect you would need an ADF to fly an NDB approach to an airport in Class D, but what about an airport in Class G??

Loads of people fly NDB approaches with a duff ADF - a duff ADF is probably the most common piece of avionics in rental spamcans ;)