PDA

View Full Version : where are sent/received e-mails stored?

Sensible
26th Jul 2007, 11:16
I have recently replaced my computer due to a main board failure and I am now using the old hard drive in a USB HD enclosure, identified as drive K. Unfortunately, when I start Outlook Express on the old hard drive, only messages from the new drive C are displayed. Can anybody tell me how to access messages on drive K or point me to where they are stored please!

Bushfiva
26th Jul 2007, 11:41
Search K: for *.wab and/or *.dbx. That'll give you the folder name. It will be along the lines of K:\Documents and Settings\sensible\Application Data\Identities\{reallylongstringofnumbers}, depending on exactly how Outlook Express was originally installed. OE files follow unix mail conventions, so there are plenty of tools that can diddle with them if you need to.

BOAC
26th Jul 2007, 12:56
......and when you have located them you can 'import' them all into your current store of emails.:ok:

Sensible
27th Jul 2007, 08:57
Many thanks Bushfiva, I have followed your advice and imported the folder into my desktop - but now can't read the e-mail messages. The string of numbers isn't the same as in my C drive Outlook Express and I don't know how to place them in the right place for them to be read, so I still can't read the messages, one of which is extremely important! A complication seems to be that the files are "hidden" and I can't seem to find a way of moving and pasting them.

BOAC
27th Jul 2007, 10:31
Well, there is no clue here as to which Windows version or which OE version, which is not much help, but here goes with a wild stab.

OE/Files/Import/Messages/ then select the version of OE you WERE using.

'Next'

Click the button 'Import mail from a OE xxx ....'

'Ok'

Browse to the folder you found elsewhere - no need to 'bring' it to your desktop

'Next'

Select the folders you wish to import.

Bingo

Bushfiva
27th Jul 2007, 12:29
Sensible, that's right, the string of numbers will be different. When you say "import", you did actually use an import option in OE and not simply copy the files? Within OE, something like "file, import, messages.." maybe. See BOAC's response.

The files are, as you say, usually "hidden". You can display them by setting your folder options to "show hidden files" for that folder, and you can actually unhide them by right-clicking, properties, unticking the appropriate box (sorry, approximate 'cos don't have XP to hand).

As long as you don't actually delete something, the emails will never actually vanish, so don't worry too much. But you should be able to import them into OE. If push comes to shove, there are plenty of other simple email readers one of which you could install simply to get a look at those particular emails. But you should do it the easy way first.

Sensible
28th Jul 2007, 16:33
This is really getting frustrating! I have found the location of the IE6 files:- K:\WINDOWS\system32\config\systemprofile\Local Settings\Application Data\Identities\{3696EC26-A33D-4D7A-A4C4-C70FA84E2D94}\Microsoft\Outlook Express and determined that it is OE6
but importing the file is another matter! I have followed the advice by BOAC
"OE/Files/Import/Messages/ then select the version of OE you WERE using.
'Next'
Click the button 'Import mail from a OE xxx ....'
'Ok'
Browse to the folder you found elsewhere - no need to 'bring' it to your desktop"
A browse to specify the location of the files allows me to track as far as "systemprofile but I cannot find the folder "Local Profile" I have also tried copying the above file to desktop and trying to import it from there, without success.

BOAC
28th Jul 2007, 16:59
Make sure you have 'see all files' selected in Windows

The folder you are looking for is Local Settings and I find mine in the same place as bushfiva said in post #2, not in the Windows folder.

When you find that, 'drill down' to the very last folder 'Outlook Express' and that is the one with your emails in and the one to 'import' from.

Stick with it! Windows is FUN:ugh:

Sensible
28th Jul 2007, 19:18
YIPEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE:ok:

Many many thanks BOAC, that was the final piece of information to unlock the door!