PDA

View Full Version : Boredom Strikes.

ROTORVATION
26th Jul 2007, 10:27
Quicky question whilst I'm grounded due weather.....

After 1500 hrs of going round in circles responding to questions like "but why can't we fly the helicopter out of the hangar?", have any of you ever become really pig sick of flying.......and more importantly what did you do to get the interest & enthusiasm back?

:(

Jarvy
26th Jul 2007, 10:36
2 1/2 years grounded and can't wait to get back flying. You don't know how good something is till you haven't got it any more.

Swamp76
26th Jul 2007, 10:47
I remind myself that I am supporting my family, work will always be work.

Then I try to exercise some PDM when I can and inject some variety into the job.

If it is a clear day, fly home at 10,000' for the view. On a long trip, go 20 miles out of the way to get a look at Crystal Falls (for instance).

I once told the company I would only do a ferry flight if I could bring my wife and children, which I did. It was great.

Just remember what made the job enjoyable when you started and rekindle that. If that doesn't work, think about what you haven't done (or seen) and do it.

Within reason of course. Going off track on a long trip (200 miles) by 20 miles, if planned ahead, only adds a couple minutes to the trip (4 miles added to a 200 mile trip for a mid-point 20 mile offset). Don't be dangerous or careless with the bosses money, but don't be a stick in the mud either.

In Dryden, Ontario, Canada there is a Best Western with 2 helipads out back. A great place to stop for lunch rather than an airport the first time you go by.

I took a coorespondence Aircraft Mechanics course and tried to apply my new knowledge to the daily grind. Interesting insights into the machine.

Take an extra job with the company (safety officer, employee rep, marketing). Sometimes promotins aren't, lateral moves can be very rewarding as change is often as good as a rest.

If you like the company but are burning out, ask for a sabbatical to recharge your batteries.

You didn't give much detail but I'd guess you are instructing ???

I found that job easy to burn out in so I talked to my students about putting some mutual effort into planning their training for maximum effect. Why not plan a day of training: do a mid-length crosscountry to an unfamiliar airport, stop for lunch/breakfast, then complete some other work (cct's, emergency trg, a solo flight), and return to home base via a completely different route, get them to find and photograph something woth seeing. Use scenarios and be creative.

Hope this helps.

SilsoeSid
26th Jul 2007, 12:34
Have a visitors day and when lots of people say how lucky you are to be able to do what you do and you must have the best job going, that should sort you out!

Failing that, just look back at how quickly time has passed since you started flying and make a note of how long you have left. Then have a brew and think about how much you'll miss it when it's all over.

Ultimately and this is the one!!!...

Take out 5 mins and watch Helo Thunder;
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/6150/helo_thunder/
...and remember, when those guys leave, they'll be after your job!!

paco
26th Jul 2007, 13:12
swamp76 - you mention Dryden, where I spent most of the 2003 fire season along with Sioux Lookout - when I wasn't flying I was driving guys and spares to Winnipeg and back, and I can assure you that in September I never wanted to see a helicopter again!

However, it didn't take long to recover. It was a very pleasant and relaxed trip back to Slave Lake, with a stop at Yorktown (in Saksatchewan), which is a nice little place. About a week later and several single malts everything was fine!

I have been in other industries where it's easy to burn out - I found one good remedy was to learn a new related skill, like yourself.

phil

hihover
26th Jul 2007, 14:00
Rotorvation,

Have a look around you and wonder what it would be like to do "this" guy's job, or "that" guy's job. After 27 years of flying I have still not found a job I'd rather be doing.

Now, I was terminally bored at one point, teaching flying instructors. It was a great job and very worthwhile, however, it was not exciting. After that 3 year tour I left instruction altogether and got back to operational flying and that did the trick for me.

Some of the posts above offer quite clever solutions to boredom. I guess that if you are in an instructional position and not enjoying it then you have to look at either another job or a variation on your current job. Speak to your boss. He may well understand.

Just remember, we are very fortunate people and we are in the privileged position of being able to do something quite unique. If your current job doesn't do the trick for you anymore, have a look elsewhere in the industry.

Good luck

havoc
26th Jul 2007, 15:08
Dont hang around others that feel the same and drag you down.

The grass is greener on the other side and once you jump the fence, guess what the grass is greener on the other side.

Crank the tunes and wash the helicopter, relaxing hour or so.

ShyTorque
26th Jul 2007, 15:19
Crank the tunes and wash the helicopter, relaxing hour or so.

After a couple of nights away and a finish at 2100, with no-one to help me clean out or put the aircraft away, washing the helicopter in the wind and the rain is the last thing on my mind!

I crank the tunes for an hour (if you mean listen to the radio) on my way home in the car.

They say "a change is as good as a rest" but I've had enough change; these days I prefer a rest. ;)

Ms Squirrel
27th Jul 2007, 11:02
Take a large piece of blank paper. Divide down the centre and make a heading for each column: Likes and Dislikes.

Take 3 – 5 days to think very hard about your role down to every minute detail and enter each job function and benefit to the role in whichever column is appropriate. Once you are sure you have included everything, then you can analyse the information. Tackle the items in the dislike column individually and think about how you can bring about change to make them positive aspects to the job.

Requires a lot of self discipline to do this properly, but if you are a helicopter pilot that shouldn’t be a problem!

ppng
27th Jul 2007, 19:44
If you are even thinking about doing any of this, get another job.

Banjo24
27th Jul 2007, 20:42
Having been off work for 6 weeks following a car accident (not my fault i might add, got rear ended at a stop light) I can tell you am am going mad with the wait to get back in the air.
Even on the bad weather days I wish I was out and about dodging the rain storms. On the nice weather days it is hell to be on the ground watching cabs fly past and I am not up there with them.

Maybe you need to change the scenery but I doubt you want to change the job, We have the best views in the world outside our "office" window.

helibee
28th Jul 2007, 18:17
:OYes ,being bored seems to happen to all of us , iam in a great job for a low hour young pilot in a great new ec , the flight time is very low per week , I have too much time on my hands and its doing my head in , use to work up to 80 hours a week in last employment. Iam thinking of heading to Canada / Alaska , hope to get a job in the wop wops working as many hours as poss as a contract pilot , can I please ask some of you old boys about the best kind of flying jobs you have encountered , most entertaining and ones you do again if you had the option

Ive put 6 months thought into this job I have , and id be 80% happy to move on as I really need to see trees , mountains and girls who dont have there faces covered ... hehe

helibee