PDA

View Full Version : Refused to fly - cut in ear.

paulo
26th Jul 2007, 01:08
I have a scab in my ear. The other day I picked it (sorry about the yicky detail here), whilst on board, aircraft on stand.

I asked for a tissue, the stewardess looked panicky (sight of blood), the purser said I couldn't fly. I explained what it was, the captain said he agreed with explanation, but had to go along with the purser.

I was told I would be able to have it looked at in the airport, and get sign off to fly. I was taken back through to departures, and left to find the airline desk.

The airline desk said there was no such facility, and I would have to see my GP.

My only option was to go to the nearest casualty unit. You can imagine what they thought of me turning up to have a tiny cut looked at. Yep, they'd see me, but everyone else there would be higher up the priority list.

So, to avoid missing the last flight, I booked another ticket on the same airline and went back to the airport.

This was Gatwick by the way.

Is this the way it should normally work? If you have something very minor like a cut, that you have to go to a hospital, or should there be someone on site who can confirm it's, say, a cut?

PAXboy
26th Jul 2007, 02:41
I have to say that sounds like the most incredible bad luck. I am pax but have never heard this reported before.

For reasons of crew relations, the Cpt would have to back the Purser. The Purser may well have overreacted but there will be no point in writing to the airline about it. Now that the matter is over and proof cannot be given, they will simply support their Purser on the the day for decisions made in the best interest of all etc.

Very bad luck (and a warning to us all!)

Avman
26th Jul 2007, 09:22
With cabin crew of that level of intelligence and initiative, it won't be long before airlines won't have any passengers at all. My wife is a former F/A and she was astounded at this purser's reaction.

slim_slag
26th Jul 2007, 09:24
Name and Shame!

Final 3 Greens
26th Jul 2007, 09:37
I explained what it was, the captain said he agreed with explanation, but had to go along with the purser.

Given that the captain was under the command of the SCCM, some may say it's pretty obvious who it was :}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}:}

slim_slag
26th Jul 2007, 12:53
Ah, yes, I see what you mean.......... Poor dears, they probably didn't realise that fresh blood is warm, always comes out cold and icy when they cut themselves :)

BOFH
26th Jul 2007, 22:05
Very bad luck.

I was leafing through some work papers and obtained a paper cut through the webbing between my thumb and forefinger. You know how well that bleeds.

The lovely ladies at the BA Exec club lounge found a suitable bandage and told me what a brave boy I was. They were right - it bleedin' hurt. Flew as planned, with big honking bandage.

I have to ask two questions, though:

Was the scab on the periphery of the ear, or could it have been construed that you were bleeding through your ear: and
In the name of the Lord, what possessed you to penetrate the structure your body gave you for the rehabilitation of your wound, with a filthy finger?

BOFH

paulo
27th Jul 2007, 01:41
BOFH - the cut was part way in (that's the best way I can describe it. Not inner ear though). A distinguishable external wound, seperate from the "void" of the ear.

The purser did indeed believe my brain was bleeding. He was saying this very loudly in front of the other passengers ("His head is bleeding!!... it's coming from his head!!"). He looked, and sounded very scared.

The captain: "Can I have a look?..."
"...Well, err... it looks like a cut to me"

Purser, still looking very scared... "But I'm not a doctor! I can't... I mean I don't know!" (the exclamation mark notes his tone)

Captain: "I'm sorry but if he says you have to leave... well.. I have to go along with that. I'm sorry."

Back to the terminal.

For all the "medical concern" on the aircraft, there was no help at the airport. Ten minutes earlier I was a major issue... "His head is Bleeding! It's coming from his head!"... (it wasn't)... Now... nothing.

Noone gave a ****. And simple enough - there was no reason to.

At airport info, I asked what would happen if a passenger was ill - they said they would have to get a taxi to the hospital. "There are no medical staff at the airport." If there was an emergency, an ambulance would be called. They told me where to get a taxi from.

Suddenly, me... "HEAD IS BLEEDING!! IT'S FROM HIS HEAD!!"... isn't in an ambulance, which you might expect if someone's head is melting or something. I'm phoning Crawley cabs. As advised by airport info desk,.

Me and the cab driver talked about the football. It was the FA cup final. He couldn't work out why I was I doing the cab journey. "Why are going from the airport to hospital?" he asked.

I didn't have an answer. Not, at least, one that made any sense.

Final 3 Greens
27th Jul 2007, 12:40
I mean I don't know!" (the exclamation mark notes his tone)

I've got this irreverent flashback to 1973 and the Sweet playing Block Buster - in particular the bloke with the make up shouting "we just haven't got a clue what to do."

creamegg
27th Jul 2007, 19:11
Arent you supposed to fly if you have got a small cut in your ear then or something...or sore ears? I always have sore ears.

My daughter was writhing around in agony and sobbing her heart out when we were landing the last time we flew, does this mean that she will have this problem every time we fly or does it depend on the take off and landing and how steep the plane goes?

paulo
28th Jul 2007, 05:33
creamegg:

What your daughter is reacting to is a pressure change. Whilst aircraft are "pressurised", it's not the same pressure as ground. So it's like being taken up (and down, finally) to about 5000 ft or so, depending on what the crew dial up in the cockpit.

Most people (and children) will be fine, bar a few usual side effects like 'blocked' hearing. In rare cases it can be painful. If your daughter suffers from this frequently, when flying, then it might be worth a trip to the GP, just for peace of mind.

Truck2005
28th Jul 2007, 17:05
PaulO

I know your comments are well founded and meant to re-assure but the 'odd blocked ear' is not a good thing. I spent 6 years as a flying spanner and I can assure you it need not hurt to burst your eardrum! I was off loaded on one trip because I could not clear my ears on landing, No pain. When I was checked by the flight surgeon he found that I was very close to doing just that, (the eardrum was very badly distended), all because I was in the early stages of a cold!!!

I went on holiday on a nice west indian island and spent sometime diving. The usual rule is never fly within 48 hours of the dive, (but prefer 36). I observed that rule and still was deaf in one ear for 2 weeks:eek:

Creamegg - Although Paul is right, more often than not things will be ok but check for ear infections that could stop your daughter clearing her ears in the descent. Also check with the MO if you may have a cold - better safe than sorry, (you only have one pair of eardrums):ok:

My apologies for hijacking this thread.

KiloMIke
5th Aug 2007, 11:25
Can somebody please remove the rather unnecessary last post.

BaronChotzinoff
5th Aug 2007, 16:13
I deleted it.

OK, I'll say what I think directly - the bloke's a namby-pamby idiot for acting in the way he did against the captain's advice and it makes me seethe how much trouble he caused to the unfortunate OP.

TightSlot
5th Aug 2007, 21:31
As well you removed it yourself Baron...