PDA

View Full Version : Tornado at Odiham

finals09
25th Jul 2007, 19:59
Just curious but at 12:35 today a Tornado was making several low passes over Odiham's runway.

Unusual but welcome sight ! Cetainly entertains the neighbours

Anyone know more ?

F09

airborne_artist
25th Jul 2007, 20:06
Families Day at the secret Hampshire RW base - the Reds were there and the BBMF Dakota. Both passed by AA Towers inbound/outbound, as you'd expect :E

The Helpful Stacker
25th Jul 2007, 20:16
Aye, it was a good day, right up until the rain decided to move in swiftly followed by some strong wind. As a result neither of the para teams were able to jump.

The reds put on a good show considering the low cloud base though, very impressive as was the Tucano display. Oh and the Chinook display was of its usual high standards and all the more impressive as it was done towards the end when the wind was really kicking up.

Many thanks all who took part, it was my last Families Day in the RAF and I enjoyed it very much.

NutLoose
26th Jul 2007, 00:52
Ahhh sigh................ I do remember the Families Day at Odiham in the late 70's when they had the Starfighter pair display, one of them must of been about 30 foot off the crowd line and not that much higher......... his running mate was errr directly over the crowd line........... boy was there some crying kids when they went over in reheat...........

On a footnote, I was walking around the static park with Taff Walker (as some of you may know, he was the last Flying Warrant Officer Pilot in the RAF) we came upon a Spitfire Mk19 of the BBMF and he turned to me and said,
" You know laddie, last time I saw one of these this close up, it was on the secret list" :} well it made me smile..........

Thud_and_Blunder
26th Jul 2007, 09:53
Nutloose, I do indeed remember that Families Day in the 70s - along with Taff on 240 teaching Craig Goodwin on our course (I was lucky enough to be taught by Gordon Monaghan, who could actually hear what you were saying!) :) .
I'm off to another Families Day in an hour or 2, taking the Yorkshire Air Ambo to Linton-on-Ouse. Thirty years to the week since I left there on completion of my JP course. :eek:

whowhenwhy
26th Jul 2007, 19:07
Twas nice to hear the sound of freedom again - even if it was an F3!

I reckon the Tucano mate must have got out of the cab about a foot shorter. Even though it sounds like a 50cc bike it looked very impressive - I honestly didn't think that a Tucano was capable of doing what that guy got it doing. Shame the 3 Sqn cab didn't come out to play though!