PDA

View Full Version : Differences Training

WorkingHard
24th Jul 2007, 22:05
Would some kind person point me to where I can find the rules on what constitutes the need for differences training please? For example the move from a single engine fixed gear fixed prop to a single engine fixed gear wobbly prop; will this need difference training? (and with whom)

Thanks

Fuji Abound
24th Jul 2007, 22:30
LASORS is always a good place to start.

I think there are five differences for a SEP (or even six now, see below)

VP prop,
tailwheel,
retractable,
pressurised,
turbocharge.

All are covered by a sign off in your log book. As far as I am aware it is at the instructors discretion what training is given.

IMHO VP, retractable, turbocharging and pressure are all a non event (and it is even doubtful whether they should have been covered by a difference given that in any event you would have done a number of check rides before flying a new aircraft of this type).

Tailwheel requires rather more time on tailwheel aircraft to become comfortable.

Of course in the old days difference endorsements didnt exist.

Happily, if you logged any of these differences in the old days, grandfather rights apply to the new days.

IMC, IR, night, multi are all type ratings not part of difference training. Some more sophisticated SEPs are covered my type ratings (notwithstanding that you might have difference endorsements for pressure, wobbly prop and undercarriage) - Malibu for example, and glass screens and possibly G430 and G530 are now considered to constitute differences (depending how you interpret the legiislation).

.. .. .. and I have probably got half of that wrong, but I thought I would have a go :) - the experts will be along in the morning :):).