PDA

View Full Version : Paris / Duty Free Security / Theft?

Load Toad
23rd Jul 2007, 10:41
My aged parents arrived in Hong Kong today 23rd July from Paris on AF188 having transferred from an AF flight from Manchester earlier in the day.
Being aged they made a couple of errors; on arriving at Manchester they had too many toiletries in their carry on and duly had then confiscated. Toothpaste and shaving cream. Whatever.
At Manchester they asked the Duty Free shop if they could take duty free through Paris to HKG.
They were told yes and duly bought three bottles.
On arriving in Paris and transferring - they were searched again - including my fathers walking stick - the three bottles were confiscated as they were told they were not in sealed bags. They had a receipt showing they had been bought that day - the confiscating security type people would not issue a receipt and said the only option was to call the police. Being short on connection time my parents wanted - but did not have time - to do this.
I thought - that you could take DF through flight transfer if it was purchased on the same day - and it was unopened? Is this not the case.
Some of these 'security measures' seem to have nothing to do with security - and everything to do with theft.
My parents - being a bit old are quite put out - they lost 30 quids worth of presents (DF) - they were either given incorrect information - or they were ripped off - or they didn't understand the system.
Anyway - kind of spoiled their day and they won't be using Air France or Paris again. That won't be a big deal to Paris or CDG I suppose even if my parents tell al their friends they were ripped off.

SXB
23rd Jul 2007, 12:10
Load Toad
Sad story. That said their disappointment shouldn't be aimed at AF or CDG, it should be directed towards the shop that sold the duty free items and gave them incorrect advice. Duty free purchases that involve an interconnecting flight should be placed in a tamper-evident bag with the receipt stapled to the bag.

Stupid rule ? for sure it is, but they are the rules.

Load Toad
23rd Jul 2007, 13:15
But folks - especially elderly or those who do not travel often don't see that do they - they see some git telling them they can't do something some other person told them they could - to most passengers the whole experience of 'flying' is that all the people they meet - airline / airport / security / etc are all part of the same deal. Therefore there should be consistency and understanding. Elderly travellers feeing ripped off for thirty quid - it isn't much to the airports etc but it creates a damn bad impression and ruins the whole experience.

SXB
23rd Jul 2007, 14:23
Welcome to air travel in 2007

Bangkokeasy
24th Jul 2007, 04:35
Yet another sad story. Indeed this is nothing to do with security and everything to do with pettiness and in this case, theft. And I am afraid you can't expect any flexibility from the French, where the time-honoured gallic shrug of the shoulders is all you will get. CDG does seem to be worse than other airports, particularly for transit passengers. I advise friends and colleagues to avoid taking duty free through any european airport, but specially CDG.

It is all well and good citing the minute detail of regulations, but some people either just can't or won't fathom it and let's face it, why should they?

Again, like it or not, all sections of this industry are complicit in the fiasco that is the current situation. It only persists because the majority permit it to.

SXB
24th Jul 2007, 06:46
Bangkok easy

I can tell you that CDG (and european airports in general) exercise a lot more flexability than their British counterparts. I dislike both CDG and LHR but, nowadays , CDG is easier to transit. I've passed through both airports in recent weeks and LHR was utterly shambolic, absolutely no flexability on the one bag rule, even when travelling in C, no such problem at CDG though.

As far as airports are concerned Britain is in the third world.

skydriller
24th Jul 2007, 07:40
2 or 3 years ago, I would have agreed that CDG was to be avoided if possible compared to other EU airports...

...However since the stupid, petty security rules introduced last year in the UK, which our government then persuaded the other EU states to take up aswell, ANY UK airport is on my avoid list if at all possible, with LHR at the top of that list.

CDG is actually pretty good now overall when compared to the UK - they just havent fixed the lack of signs there yet...which isnt helped by the construction work being done - meaning you never go the same route through the place twice anymore.

Doesnt help your parents LT, but as SXB says the UK is far worse these days...... welcome to air travel in 2007:{

Bangkokeasy
24th Jul 2007, 11:14
You are quite right of course. The UK is worse. It doesn't excuse any of it though. When I reach 50, I will probably give up flying altogether, as by then this rigmarole will all be beyond a mere mortal. :sad: