PDA

View Full Version : Frank Robinson Named in Harassment Suit

MSP Aviation
23rd Jul 2007, 00:42
Ex-employee sues helicopter company
Former assistant to the founder of Torrance-based Robinson Helicopter says she was sexually harassed.
By Ryan McDonald
Staff Writer

The founder of a Torrance-based helicopter company has been accused of sexual harassment by a former employee.
Judith Gentry, a former executive assistant to Robinson Helicopter founder Frank Robinson, filed a suit Monday in Los Angeles Superior Court against both Robinson and his company. In addition to the sexual harassment charges, Gentry also alleges assault, battery, breach of implied contract, and both intentional and negligent infliction of emotional distress.
Gentry claims to have experienced sexual harassment from the beginning of her employment with the helicopter company, where she was hired in December 1997.
The complaint alleges that the harassment was "subtle" at first and that Gentry got used to "laughing off (Robinson's) offensive comments," but that the harassment "became worse over the years."
According to the claim, Robinson told Gentry about problems he was experiencing during a separation from his wife in early 2003. Subsequent complaints in the suit include Robinson making "comments on (Gentry's) figure," and statements made by Robinson assuring Gentry of his virility.
The suit alleges two instances of inappropriate physical contact, one in December 2003 and another in the fall of 2006, both concerning alleged unwanted kissing or grabbing.
Gentry also claims that the company refused to hire her husband after he already had been promised a job as a pilot at Robinson Helicopter by the company's chief
pilot.
Edgardo Garcia, Gentry's Torrance-based attorney, said that there are no plans to request criminal charges in addition to the civil suit.
The lawsuit says Gentry is seeking damages based on both alleged emotional distress and forfeited future wages, arguing Gentry was driven to quit her job at Robinson Helicopter because of persistent harassment.
The complaint requests punitive damages against both Robinson and his company because of the dominant role he plays in its operations.
"Essentially, Mr. Robinson is the company," Garcia said. "He's the highest authority. There was nowhere my client could turn to to obtain some remedy to her situation, other than Frank Robinson."
http://c6.edgesuite.net/RealMedia/ads/Creatives/DailyBr/LazyBoy_300X250_Lcl_Feat//1177593703 (http://oascentral.dailybreeze.com/RealMedia/ads/click_lx.ads/www.dailybreeze.com/news/local/articles/L39/2145338604/Middle/DailyBr/LazyBoy_300X250_Lcl_Feat/LazyBoy.html/517175785345616a396351414151564d?http://www.la-z-boy.com) According to the lawsuit, Gentry filed a formal sexual harassment complaint with the company on Feb. 22 and was told March8 that no action would be taken. She resigned May 4.
Officials at the helicopter manufacturer deny all allegations made in the complaint and said they plan to fight the case in court.
"We have decided to expedite litigation," said Kurt Robinson, vice president for product support for the company and son of Frank Robinson. "We think that the quicker this gets to court, the quicker this gets resolved, and the sooner we'll be vindicated."
Frank Robinson was out of the office and unavailable for comment.
Robinson Helicopter is considered to be the largest civilian helicopter maker in the world, with more than 1,200 employees and revenues exceeding $200 million, according to its Web site.
The company produces the R22 and R44 helicopters, both of which are widely used around the world.
Robinson Helicopter is the fifth-largest private employer in the city of Torrance.
Robinson, 77 and a resident of Rolling Hills, has donated $1million of his personal fortune to establish a scholarship fund at the University of Washington, of which he is an alumnus.
Robinson also has donated $1 million to the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum in Washington, D.C., and $1 million to the American Helicopter Museum in West Chester, Pa.

http://www.dailybreeze.com/news/articles/8569122.html?page=2&c=y

DONKEY73
23rd Jul 2007, 13:20
Did she have pop out floats ;):ok:

Efirmovich
23rd Jul 2007, 17:21
I think she must have misconstrued comments about his Chopper...........? :confused:

E.

fluffy5
23rd Jul 2007, 17:39
she new the recovery action to dynamic rollover..............:}

DONKEY73
23rd Jul 2007, 18:10
i hope he sorted her carb heat out before descending :O

HillerBee
23rd Jul 2007, 18:31
It only took her 10 years, to find it annoying enough, or Frank didn't have enough money back then....

scooter boy
23rd Jul 2007, 21:31
I am pretty sure that Frank and Kurt Robinson will mount a robust defence to these allegations.

Of course he "is the company" - one of the reasons they do so well is that echelons of faceless managers have been avoided and the Robinsons know exactly what is happening on the factory floor.

Who need this at 77 years of age? she should be ashamed of herself...

SB

Whirlygig
23rd Jul 2007, 21:55
she should be ashamed of herself...
Or he should! :hmm: Case hasn't been settled.

Cheers

Whirls

mustering guru
23rd Jul 2007, 22:18
whats this got to do with anything..who gives a sh it!!

Bravo73
23rd Jul 2007, 22:24
whats this got to do with anything..

Er, isn't Mr Robinson involved with helicopters some how? :confused:

;)

scooter boy
24th Jul 2007, 11:01
"Or he should! :hmm: Case hasn't been settled." Peoples' behaviour never ceases to amaze me but really Whirlygig, do you really think this could be the truth?

WRT "Who gives a sh1T"

My profession brings me into contact with money grabbing lowlifes who target wealthy individuals and accuse them of wrongdoing for personal gain.:=
I have personal experience of defending false accusations (not of a sexual nature) but would be highly surprised if there is any fire at the base of this smoke.

Best of luck to the old man, he and his products have made helicopter travel a realistic option for a huge number of people.

Personally I do give a **** and would be very happy if the Robinsons were able to counter claim once the defamatory allegations have been turned over.

SB

Whirlygig
24th Jul 2007, 11:17
but really Whirlygig, do you really think this could be the truth?
I have no idea whether it IS the truth or not - however, don't YOU think there could be a possibility that it may. How can you be so sure, unless of course you know the full facts and details as given in the courtroom. Just because some people make spurrious claims for their own financial gain does not mean all do just as there are some powerful men who think they can treat people badly for their own "kicks" but not all do!!

If the allegations are false, then yes, Frank should sue for defamation but if they are found to be true (and you do not know as none of us knows!), then yes, he should hang his head in shame.

Jeez, I would have thought someone in your profession would have had more of an open mind.

Cheers

Whirls

scooter boy
24th Jul 2007, 11:28
Whirls, you are absolutely right, my professional experience has perhaps made me more than a tad cynical!

Smart people do do stupid things from time to time and the old boy may have behaved improperly.

Robinson are no strangers to the courtroom though - they have a claim filed every time one of their machines crashes and I am certain they will fight this.

Who needs this stress at 77 years old though? I am only thinking of his coronaries.

SB

MSP Aviation
24th Jul 2007, 12:09
Well, I would hope he is above suing for defamation. He certainly doesn't need the money, and would only be making somebody's life harder.

diethelm
24th Jul 2007, 17:55
I wonder if Frank knows Bob Barker.....

belly tank
25th Jul 2007, 12:55
or happy gilmore!:{
I wonder if Frank knows Bob Barker.....

Gerhardt
25th Jul 2007, 19:02
For those of you that haven't been to the factory safety course, Judy is HOT! A rich old geezer, freshly divorced, with a cutie of an assistant....it was only a matter of time.

I'd rather not read the actual lawsuit, though. Why let hard facts stand in the way of a good story.

alouette
26th Jul 2007, 10:08
Comment on the previous post;

just another office dyke seeking all the attention needed to probably force affirmative action. Ever anybody filed suit against a woman making inappropriate comments and such....get me a vomit bag!!!:yuk:

I don't care if that "geezer" is hot or not. Instead of work why not defame someone of saying "Hey, I got sexually harrassed" and get rich....he is a dirty old man. Enough said!!!

Whirlygig
26th Jul 2007, 10:13
Eh? Do you know what "dyke" means? Or. for that matter, "geezer"? Two words which don't quite make sense.

I, for one, have never met a hot geezer. I've met a few office dykes but they tend not to be married!!

Cheers

Whirls

alouette
27th Jul 2007, 06:38
dyke.....woman in comfortable shoes....or

according to a UK slang dictionary: noun. A lesbian.previously used as a derogatory expression but now used and accepted within the lesbian and gay scene. Compare with "bull dyke" or "diesel dyke"

You have your choice.....:E

Whirlygig
27th Jul 2007, 08:34
Well, I'm British so your second definition is correct. I would NOT recommend you ever call a woman a dyke in the UK - just a word of friendly advice? :}

Cheers

Whirls

dontknowdontcare
29th Jul 2007, 04:03
i can't believe that Wayne wrote Frank up and took away his next raise. At least he kept his parking space.

p.s
Im available and i don't kiss and tell

xoxo

rotorbug
29th Apr 2010, 07:23
Just search in Facebook for Judith Gentry and Judith Neily Gentry comes up married to Landon Gentry.

This is the same person, as I have met her at the RHC Safety course.

heli-cal
29th Apr 2010, 16:11
What l never understand is this. If this has been going on for over 12 years. why NOW make a complaint.?

http://991.com/newgallery/Pink-Floyd-Money---20th-Anni-20148.jpg

_Obiwan
29th Apr 2010, 23:10
Hm. Whether it is true or not saying "sue for defamation" isn't much help. Sometimes in cases such as this, if the matter is found to be baseless the person making the accusations has insufficient means to make suing them practical. This is sometimes why cases are settled out of court: because the cost of defending them is higher than paying the plaintiff off - even if the accusation is unfounded - and there will be no way to recover costs if the person making the accusations hasn't the means to pay.

I do wonder how a person can be employed for 10 years or more and then genuinely decide it is no longer tolerable.

lelebebbel
30th Apr 2010, 00:29
What l never understand is this. If this has been going on for over 12 years. why NOW make a complaint.?

quite ironic to post this question in a thread that has been dead and burried for 3 years

snotcicles
30th Apr 2010, 02:14
Didn't the lady making the allegations have some sort of relationship with a pilot that worked at the Robinson factory who was passed over for a promotion just prior to the "harrassment"??

Heliport
30th Apr 2010, 06:40
Some sort of relationship ..... Gentry also claims that the company refused to hire her husband after he already had been promised a job as a pilot at Robinson Helicopter by the company's chief pilot.

Whirlybird
30th Apr 2010, 07:39
Who needs this stress at 77 years old though?

I have no idea what happened, and no time or inclination to speculate. Either she's telling the truth or she isn't...or even something in between. But if he's guilty, his age is irrelevant. If I were him, whatever I had or hadn't done, I'd find a comment like that ageist and insulting to my intelligence.

blakmax
30th Apr 2010, 12:35
Having met Frank, I can only say he was a totally courteous man to me and to my wife. Even though I have had technical issues with RHC I am pleased that he personally does not have this hanging over his head an more.
All the best, Frank. If I was facing sexual harrasment charges at 77, I'd take that as a compliment! My personal ambition is to die a quick death when I am 110. I want to be shot by a jealous husband.

Regards
blakmax

_Obiwan
1st May 2010, 20:14
Good point! I didn't look at the date lol

poppahymen
1st May 2010, 20:50
Is this not old news. This is from a web site South Bay Crimes and Courts. Note it starts by saying no one wanted to talk about. They dont know the people of PPruNe then. Two years late a dollar short and willing to talk about anything.:O:O:O

http://www.insidesocal.com/crime&courts/lawsuits-1/2008/07 (http://www.insidesocal.com/crime&courts/lawsuits-1/2008/07/)/
Sexual harassment suit against Robinson Helicopter founder dropped (http://www.insidesocal.com/crime&courts/2008/07/sexual-harassment-suit-against.html)

By Denise Nix on July 11, 2008 3:08 PM | Permalink (http://www.insidesocal.com/crime&courts/2008/07/sexual-harassment-suit-against.html) | Comments (0) (http://www.insidesocal.com/crime&courts/2008/07/sexual-harassment-suit-against.html#comments) | ShareThis (javascript:void(0))

No one wants to talk about it, but the sexual harassment lawsuit filed a year ago against Torrance-based Robinson Helicopter founder Frank Robinson (http://www.robinsonheli.com/companyfdrbio.htm) was dismissed today. I don't know why, other than that the plaintiff, Judith Gentry, asked for it. Usually, such an action is taken after the parties reach a settlement - but no settlement is confirmed in this case.
The full report, as sorted out by court filings in the case, will be in tomorrow's Daily Breeze. The Cliff's Notes version is that Gentry was Robinson's executive assistant for nine years and didn't like sexual comments or observations the 78-year-old Rolling Hills resident allegedly made.

poppahymen
1st May 2010, 21:07
Sorry didnt read all the posts above . Still proving my own theory about late and a dollar short :O:O:O:ok:

EN48
1st May 2010, 23:57
"My personal ambition is to die a quick death when I am 110. I want to be shot by a jealous husband."

A worthy goal indeed, especially if the jealous husband's wife is age 29 or so! :E

Sexual harrassment legislation has enabled a veritable flood of women entrepreneurs!

VfrpilotPB/2
2nd May 2010, 13:47
The lady should have realised that Robinsons take quite a lot of getting going,..... but then as with others will go vertical, Just about!;)

Strange though how the Gals take the longer view!:ugh:

PeterR-B
Vfr