PDA

View Full Version : Yes Another Military Tasking!

AonP
22nd Jul 2007, 21:45
Just watching the news and apparently the Govt is sending in the Armed Forces to assist with the current flooding problems - understandable but it doesn't help with the overstretch. I thought CGS had just said there werent any reserves left! And how many of those Sea Kings will be running out of flying hours before long? Iraq, Afghanistan, Balkans, Northern Ireland, Falkand Islands, Homeland Defence of the UK (including recent QRA Ops) UN in Cyprus and many others, now add the floods. What next another Op FRESCO?

stickmonkeytamer
22nd Jul 2007, 23:06
This is what we should be doing- helping those who we are meant to be protecting. It might endeer us a bit more to the civilian population if we are seen to be helping them, not just beating up random Dirka Dirkas 1000s of miles away.

SMT

tablet_eraser
23rd Jul 2007, 05:37
I see nothing wrong with this MACP op at all. Those troops involved will not be on PODL; they're at the behest of the Government for peacetime operations. What's the alternative? Continue to let the floods rise?

Blame the government all you like for not putting enough money into flood defences, cutting the size of the Forces, failing to invest in local emergency services, responding too slowly to a prewarned risk, building thousands of houses on flood plains, concentrating resources away from big cities where they're needed, plotting (as we all know) to get rid of the RAF and RN's SAR capability, and for whatever other mistakes they've made. But don't get annoyed when we are asked to help. It might not be the best duty in the world, but it's defending our compatriots. That has to be worth it.

RS15
23rd Jul 2007, 08:24
Just watch the news.. doing what we all are good at and capable of. Whilst it may not be 'abroad' Op tasking, there are many grateful, less upset and drier folks out there now, and the old (SK + S61) girl is doing fine :ok:

Mr-AEO
23rd Jul 2007, 08:55
Anyone else see the Sky Copter Cam over the weekend?

I was transfixed watching the live feed when a RAF SAR Cab came shooting along under the Sky Copter on its way to help. The Sky Copter followed it along and then seemed to be circling to get a good shot of what was going on. Then a Police Helo came into view! It was good TV, but sadly at the expense of someone elses mis-fortune - wish all the flood victims the best of luck.

Could an operator please comment on how airspace is controlled in these situations; the patchy clouds and poor vis, with lots of aircraft about looked like a nightmare.

Al_Paché
23rd Jul 2007, 09:07
As usual, ten out of ten to the Military for coming to the aid of the civil community whilst commited heavily elsewhere...good effort!:D

Do you think the 'well-heeled neighbours in Ashtead, Surrey' (see neighbours at war with wounded soldiers families thread) would feel comfortable accepting Military assistance - it might be seen to be hypocritical and significantly lower the tone in their very private part of England.

Isn't it interesting to see how quick people are to accept Military aid and start waving the flag when it's their homes and way of life that is directly threatened.

GOLF_BRAVO_ZULU
23rd Jul 2007, 09:09
I hope the Police HELO shows more awareness of its own downwash than the one(s) over Staffordshire.

Widger
23rd Jul 2007, 10:34
150 Sailors already despatched from the South West. Shame they will be callled "The Army" on the news.

psyan
23rd Jul 2007, 12:16
Tablet Erasr scrawled: "Continue to let the floods rise?" Oh, how do you propose to stop them Mr. Canute?

Mr-AEO
23rd Jul 2007, 12:37
Could we not just drill a deep hole so it spills out over the Aussies!?

Wyler
23rd Jul 2007, 13:46
We have an emergency of National proprtions and it is only right that the Military should be at the forefront, helping UK ciitizens in a time of need. Personally, I'd like to see them all come home from the sand. Let's have the Navy patrolling out territorial waters, the RAF doing the same in the air and let's put the Army in charge of all entry/exit points.

Have to say, GB coming across well although he is boring to listen to.

As for gorgeous Dave, in Rwanda digging latrines. Spectacular own goal and probably another big nail in his coffin. Prat.

Widger
23rd Jul 2007, 14:07
The Navy will be patrolling Gloucester soon!

Talking Radalt
23rd Jul 2007, 15:52
random Dirka Dirkas 1000s of miles away.

By "random" I trust you mean those pointing RPGs at our aircraft and dropping mortars on the DOBs? :hmm:

nice castle
23rd Jul 2007, 20:14
It's a no-brainer doing what we can to help out, and any chap worth his salt would push hard to get the job done if it helps others out. Also, crews are STANDING BY for these eventualities, so, actually, it doesn't increase overstretch at all, merely helps to justify (if it were needed) the role of the National Standby Chinny, and all those Sea Kings.

Well done to those concerned, good effort!:ok:

Talking Radalt
23rd Jul 2007, 21:00
Also, crews are STANDING BY for these eventualities, so, actually, it doesn't increase overstretch at all, merely helps to justify (if it were needed) the role of the National Standby Chinny
If only it were that easy.
Although there is at least one airframe and a crew ready to go at any time, that's where the ring-fencing ends and the knock-on effect in terms of airframe hours used for MACP tasking instead of Herrick work-up training (for example) takes a little while longer to rectify, and that's assuming said NS cab comes back serviceable, and that any MACP task can be met by one cab/crew at a time. One only need look at the sheer scale of recent events to wonder how long it is before Gordon Brown (texture like sun) is answering questions about why National Standby at Odiham is initally only one aircraft. :rolleyes:

RS15
23rd Jul 2007, 21:13
NC

not all the crews/personnel were just siiting around waiting for these things to happen, its called the military can-do etc (or other 'official' phrases). Most of the aid was provided after 5 pm on a Friday.

There was no explicit (non-tasking) airspace co-ordination, other than the good service provided by the nearest civil ATC unit (Gloucester). The low level ops were carried out using lookout, ATC freqs, I-band transponders and good behaviour. The sky-coppers and heli-telly were nothing but helpful and professional and did not impinge and the Mil / MCA ops what so ever. Pity same cannot be said for a white R44 hand-railing the M5 at 200 ft agl in poor viz.

RS15 and a bit....

tablet_eraser
23rd Jul 2007, 21:38
Well done, psyan, for completely missing the whole point of my post. Perhaps I made a small error of fact, but if you disagree with the sentiment - to wit, that we should be proud of the opportunity to help our compatriots at a time of national crisis - maybe you could just say so instead of making points on words?

If you're really keen on a correction then I should have said, "help to mitigate the ongoing consequences of the current rising flood levels".

ZOFO
23rd Jul 2007, 22:55
I see they had to evacuate the prisoners out of a jail tonight as they may have got their feet wet and had a power cut and lost sky tv etc..., perhaps the the lags may have had better use in filling a few sandbags up, and letting the Armed Forces have a bit of R and R. :ugh:

snippy
25th Jul 2007, 11:20
A big thank you to the boys and girls from Brize who came to my village on sunday and helped dish out sandbags. Again the civvies thought they were Army!. Even the padre turned up.............which was nice!

Wader2
25th Jul 2007, 11:24
Maybe the RAF should have light blue DPMs :)

airborne_artist
25th Jul 2007, 11:36
Available off the shelf:
http://www.tridentmilitary.com/new-photos10/r96b.jpg

plans123
25th Jul 2007, 13:42
AnonP, you are such a prat. I was one of the people left stranded by the floods and can't heap enough praise on EVERYONE who worked (and continues to work) to help get back the communities affected back on their feet.
Well done guys and gals - thanks for the superhuman efforts.