PDA

View Full Version : Fire at Cardiff Tower (EGFF)

blue up
21st Jul 2007, 16:19
Glad I loaded a cupfull of extra fuel today and kept to Econ speed. Arrived at the southern boundry of Cardiff airspace to be told to enter the hold at Fl100.
Appears that there was a fire in the tower.
All sounded a bit of a rush to get things organised but it went well. Reserve tower control was in some caravan (?)

Happy conclusion from my point of view but we burnt an extra 1.2 tons of go-go juice.

ground_star
21st Jul 2007, 16:33
A caravan?! Sounds like an old radio station I used to work for!! But a little more organised ;)

Standard Noise
21st Jul 2007, 16:36
Fire in the tower at Cardiff and 200 quids worth of improvements occurred!:}:}

some caravan
Not at that caravan park across the other side of the airfield!?

mathers_wales_uk
22nd Jul 2007, 12:09
I was always lead to believe that in such cases, there were a portable tower radio

eastern wiseguy
22nd Jul 2007, 16:51
So what happened? Or was it a non event?

luddite
22nd Jul 2007, 16:54
Non-event. Focussed the mind though with the possibility of a div to BRS. :}

mathers_wales_uk
23rd Jul 2007, 04:15
I believe it was just dust that set the alarm off

blue up
23rd Jul 2007, 05:10
New lift being installed in the tower. Due to open on 7th July 2007. I'll be there!!

:}

masterblasterCWLBHX
24th Jul 2007, 22:09
I'll bring the champagne!

ATCO17
25th Jul 2007, 03:16
Oh, burned a little extra fuel did we? Better than some poor sod left behind in BA trying to get you guys down safely! Even if it was a non-event, think us ATCOs have the same attitude when there's a potential fire on board an aircraft?

Rant over! Too much Coteaux de la Loire!

blue up
25th Jul 2007, 05:54
The problem is that we don't usually carry that extra ton of fuel. 2.6 ton CMR fuel for a Bristol diversion so if we arrive overhead with the 'company' fuel figure and divert to Bristol then we are down to min holding fuel of 1.5 tons at the end of an expeditious approach. At that point you will be hearing a Mayday call.
Looked at from another (hypothetical) angle, if we'd not carried the extra fuel then we'd be landing at Bristol with a MAX of 0.3 tons which is what we burn taxying from the runway to the terminal. Running out of fuel on the taxi-in is not good for publicity!!
Those 3 holds at FL100 used 1.2 tons for 12+ minutes fylying.

PS If we catch fire, immediate evacuation is not an option. EJECT, EJECT,EJECT:E

PPS Wasn't aware that I'd offended in any way. No ATTITUDE intended.