PDA

View Full Version : Wg Cdr Spry lives...

Lima Juliet
20th Jul 2007, 22:26
I've just seen the latest RAF Aviation Safety Group's magazine and Wg Cdr Spry now features :D - not a bad magazine either (Flight Safety Flyer) and a better read than Aviate (more purple madness)...

How about Flight Safety Sue...or is that too much to ask?

http://img370.imageshack.us/img370/1878/f15jw9.th.jpg (http://img370.imageshack.us/my.php?image=f15jw9.jpg)

Its amazing what you can do with black bodge tape!

LJ

Chugalug2
21st Jul 2007, 08:54
Wing Commander Spry may indeed still be with us LJ, but is he or, more importantly, his philosophy alive and well? I pose this question because it seems to me that the three most important threads on this forum, IMHO, with respect to the airworthiness of aircraft and Flight Safety in the RAF in general, ie; Parliamentary Questions (Hercules fuel tank protection), Nimrod information (questions as to the robustness of the AAR fit of that fleet) and Chinook, still hitting back (Airworthiness shortcomings of Mk2s and Mk3s) would seem to imply not. You can have the most punctilious and robust reporting and investigative system imagineable (it certainly was in the 70s!) but if it is prone to being usurped and buried in the corridors of power it isn't worth a can of beans. In today's world Wg Cdr Spry is susceptible to many pressures, not merely those involved in doing his job to the best of his ability. So might I suggest that he may do better as Mr Spry (Wg Cdr RAF, retd.) working in a separate and independent Military Aircraft Division of the CAA, with full access to all levels of the RAF operational and command structure to help make its aircraft safer and more fit for purpose?
I second your call for the return of Sue, but I suspect she will insist on bringing along her tight fisted friend, Prudence!

circle kay
21st Jul 2007, 15:00
I think that the good Wg Cdr must be warmly welcomed back. I for one learnt a good deal about ‘Flying from That’ and the rest of Spry’s pages.

Is it me, or is Sprit of the Air becoming more and more like good old Air Clues with ever edition.

Of course we can’t admit that getting rid of Air Clues was a mistake. When Flight Safety went purple the FAA and AAC kept there in house FS magazines, did the light blue? Oh no…

Now what ever happened to Safety Sue? It must be one of the few subjects that Google draws a blank on.:confused:

Argus
22nd Jul 2007, 04:46
What about Grampaw Pettibone?

Evileyes
22nd Jul 2007, 05:36
Grampaw Pettibone still features in Naval Aviation News Argus. His columns and features are archived here:

http://www.history.navy.mil/nan/gramps/grampshome.htm

Well worth a read-through as it seems all the classic mistakes and some quite novel new ones are covered there.

The Helpful Stacker
22nd Jul 2007, 06:04
Bring back Dr FOD and Miss Wayward Body.:ok:

Argus
22nd Jul 2007, 06:34
Thank you Evileyes. Jumpin' Jehoshaphat, 40 years plus just flashed before my eyes!

Lima Juliet
22nd Jul 2007, 19:07
Now what ever happened to Safety Sue?

Didn't she married a Tonka mud-mover - anyone at Lossie or Marham like to comment?

LJ

Wader2
24th Jul 2007, 10:55
In Spirit of the Air (shame it sounds like SpiritofAdventure) there is a 2-page spread by Wg Cdr Spry. He has a pop at jargon and communication:

"Fine is you've been to Airship School or you've done an MBA, but why use words that mere mortals like us don't understand."

"have you ever noticed our big cheeses at official parties? . . . Even if you don't know them, you can spot the Airship, Stn Cdr or Sqn Boss miles off as they 'work the crowd'. they're so smooth and suave, . . . just put it down to natural confidence and experience that comes with having a great big star on your PMA dossier'.

His punchlines are say what you mean and 'don't wrap it up in unintelligible mumbo jumbo'.

Looks like Spry must be Prune's grandson with the same touch of irreverence. Long live Spry.

Lynx206
24th Jul 2007, 11:08
Bring back Dr FOD and Miss Wayward Body.

I just googled her and I only came up with five hits on websites...two of which were on PPRUNE...and no hits in the image search.

Has anyone got a bootleg copy of that terribly un-pc safety film they could do some screen captures for and post them for us?

Rigga
26th Jul 2007, 21:15
Wow! Wg Cdr Spry!! - I'm sure I learned about Flight Safety from that.

...and that Sgt Wayward Body...She could've had my A*s any day 30+ years ago (though she and I possibly wouldn't want it now!)

TMJ
27th Jul 2007, 07:55
...and that Sgt Wayward Body...She could've had my A*s any day 30+ years ago (though she and I possibly wouldn't want it now!)

Are you not confusing Doctor FOD with the US LOX video?