PDA

View Full Version : OAT aptitude assessment dress code

Avaiden
19th Jul 2007, 16:00
Is there one? Im going to an OAT aptitude assessment over next monday and tuesday.

Thanks, A.

clanger32
19th Jul 2007, 16:05
I would suggest there is no official dress code, but it would probably not aid your chances by not being dressed in standard business attire. However, turn up in reasonably smart jeans, t-shirt etc and ace the tests and I'm sure they'd still offer you a place (although I'd imagine you'd get a suitable dressing down over your attire!)

Bottom line, dress smart, be safe...

Blinkz
19th Jul 2007, 22:33
Its an interview, so I would treat it as such. I wore a suit.

Avaiden
20th Jul 2007, 00:27
I got a suit then. I look so dapper...

silverknapper
20th Jul 2007, 12:40
Wear your shorts and T shirt!! After all as long as you're not an idiot and you have the most important qualification they are interested in - cash - they won't care what you're wearing.

Avaiden
20th Jul 2007, 19:58
The crappy thing is though, that I have a relatively excellent personality in real life, but im made to fork out a spade-full of hard earned cash on dressing smartly. Apparantly its just "the done thing." Who am I to question the institution!
Really though, the amount of cash you've to part with is bad enough without having to buy a suit im rarely going to wear(unless a funeral or wedding comes up sometime soon).
Still, I want to fly, so, whatever it takes, right? Right?

Adios
20th Jul 2007, 21:24
I would say that if you show up in shorts and a T-shirt, then you are an idiot, but you don't have to take my word for it. Anyone can test SilverKnapper's theory if they wish to!

Life's a Beech
21st Jul 2007, 04:37
Christ, why do people put up with this? :ugh:

You are a customer. Possible about to agree to pay over the odds for a course that is no better than anyone else's. There are independent assessments available (talk to GAPAN) if you don't go to OAT. You have no need to suck up to your supplier! If they feel you do, then you are probably in the wrong place.

By all means look smart and professional at all times in your flight training if that's what helps you focus (I found it did for me), but don't ever forget that you are the customer!

Avaiden
21st Jul 2007, 12:57
I see your point. All the OAT want is someone who wont embarass them and can pay them the cash. Although, im sure the number of potential customers who can satisfy these requirements is above the number of places they have available. I would suppose that coming well turned out would show that the person applying will go that extra mile. It is silly, but I guess it wouldnt be of detriment.

Mach44
21st Jul 2007, 14:30
I think thats an important point 'Life's a Beech' made about being the customer.

Mutual respect is the key thing, they are providing the service that you need, you are providing them with the buisness they need.

Adios
22nd Jul 2007, 07:51
Avaiden,
This is not directed at you, as you seem to have a realistic attitude on the matter.

Wearing a suit to an interview is not sucking up to a supplier. Airlines are very conservative and demand a high degree of conformity. Get used to it or seek another career. There is much debate on here about various FTO graduates' employment success rate, but one thing prospective students should keep in mind is that though you are a customer, at the end you will also be their "product" and both you and the FTO want an airline to "buy" that "product." People only become an FTO's customer because they seek a specific job and they have decided a particular FTO will help them get the license they need to get that job.

For many school leavers, the FTO selection interview is perhaps the first real interview you will have. My tuppence would be ignore the poor advice given by a few here and treat it as a serious event, even if only for practice sake. You are paying a lot of money for it, why set yourself up for failure by adopting a rebellious stance or by making a political point that you are the "customer."

Finally, most FTOs include team exercises in their selection process. If all the others show up in a suit and you don't, you'll feel very out of place and it will negatively affect your performance.

boogie-nicey
23rd Jul 2007, 11:02
It's a little distressing to read some of the comments on this thread. The issue here is one of a 'departure from reality'. I realise that in this day and age of trendy social, education and workplace practices people are starting to believe their own hype so to speak but this will lead you astray in the longer term. The FTO in this case OAT is just one component of the overall training and they can't instill alot of the extraneous qualities required to prosper within aviation. The aspect of teaching one to fly is just a set of academic goals and hoops to jump through and not necessarily to mould your personality and/or character. Compare this to the armed services where you get selected on a broader range of characteristic attributes then put through some form of officer training as a foundation. Only after this point is flying taught, there's a reason for this.....

Now I realise and accept that civilian and military training are not in the same league or circumstances but there are parallels from which we can take some direction and guidance. The point being that learning to fly or "I'm the customer" type of stance will not benefit you in the long term and that's a shame because once you out of the doors of OAT or any other school it'll be just your character that'll either take you higher or lead you astray. The whole issue of how one should be dressed both physically and let's not forget mentally too, is very important and you should always be seen at every step as the guy who will leave no stone unturned and doesn't necessarily have high standards but an upholder of THE STANDARD. Otherwise you'll be seen as yet another one of the sheep that blindly follows all others or just a lazy trouble maker.

This is your career and you shouldn't jeopardise it so early on (in this case even before you've sat single groundschool lesson). Don't ask "what's the minimum level required" that kind of approach won't do you any favours nor flatter your instructors.

clanger32
23rd Jul 2007, 13:26
I have to say that I find it very odd how people get so upset about being required to dress smartly!

It is actually a fair point that anyone who walks through the door at Oxford is a customer and therefore should have some "say" in how they behave. But this is not the full story. It totally ignores the fact that what you're actually paying (in this case) OAT to do, is to teach you the necessary skills to obtain employment within an airline environment. If you simply seek the necessary licences, then there are plenty of ways you can do that without going to OAT (Or Cabair, FTE etc) where you can wear what the devil you want. Just be aware that you pay your money and you take your choice...spending £30k to get your licence and wearing what you want but never getting a job is a lot more expensive overall than paying £65k and getting a job.

P.S. I'd also love to see what anyone without a suit would plan to turn up to an airline interview in when they've GOT the licence....what you're training uniform? how very professional....a suit is NEVER a waste of money..
The bottom line, in almost EVERY employment, you will be required to adhere to some form of "norm" dress sense wise. Be that a suit, a uniform, a hard hat and hi-vi. In aviation, you need to be aware you will have to wear a uniform, so why is this such an issue to get into that mindset now?

strewth. If you don't like it, or can't cope with it, then don't go to OAT. Take your chances with the standard route of PPL, hours building instruction etc and see where it gets you. no one forces you. It's your choice....