PDA

View Full Version : Pilot ambitions

mrwannabe
18th Jul 2007, 21:11
i'm due to start studying my AS Level exams this September with the ambition to eventually become an airliner pilot. My dad is in the aviation industry and has vowed to support me all the way. the only thing is though i don't know which route to take :ugh: some people have said i can go to uni and gain my PPL and CPL etc at flight schools/airlines....but my dad has opened my eyes to joining the RAF when i turn eighteen. They both have their benefits and downsides and to me it is an extremely difficult decision. I was wondering if anyone had any tips/stories as to the route they took and advice on which would be more beneficial to me. I know this is what i definately want to do as i love flying and have had experience at the controls of a light aircraft. I would be grateful if anyone could help!

scruggs
19th Jul 2007, 08:03
Can’t really speak from a pilots perspective, but for me choosing between the two was a simple as asking myself one question – do I want to be a military pilot or a civil/commercial/airline pilot? If your answer is the former, then go mil. If it’s the latter, then concentrate your efforts in that direction. I chose the latter, and that’s what I'm working towards and hopefully I’ll achieve one day!

Yep, there are many commercial pilots out there who came from military backgrounds. But I’m sure, and I’d hope, they wouldn’t have seen military flying as a mere stepping stone into commercial flying. If you continue your education to the university level and decide going military, consider joining one of the UAS units.

Most important thing - do lots of research! Searching here is a good place to start and peruse appropriate threads in the military aircrew forum. Visit your local military careers centre and have a chat with the guys down there.

Good luck with everything :ok:

S

flyer19832007
19th Jul 2007, 16:30
Hey mate, i went was an Air Cadet for about 4 years, although always wanting to be a pilot I would have loved to have flown fast jets, however the commercial side of it was more appealing simply because I asked myself where I want to be in 10/15 years time. Captain of an Airliner before i was 30 was what i chose.

Made the decision that going to the Airline world would suit me because of the lifestyle and also would mean i'd get hours more rapidly. With all the constraints on the forces I cant imagine they get many hours, although every hour would be great fun!

Did my A-levels (age 18), studied a degree in Aviation and gained my PPL (age 22) did an integrated course (age 23) now 23 years old and FO at a very rapidly expanding airline, left myself 7 years to become a Captain, quite achievable i think!

Its only because I had a plan and stuck to it.

As mentioned above, best to have a plan and stick to it!

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Flyer.

Professor Plum
21st Jul 2007, 09:23
Hi mate,

I took a similar route to "flyer19832007", apart from the fact that I went Military - I'm currently going through training in the RAF and loving every minute of it.

After A' Levels, I got my PPL, did an Aviation degree and joined a UAS, and decided that, by the age of 30 I wanted to be flying a Typhoon/Harrier or similar!

Whatever you decide, have a look at all options-join the air cadets/join a UAS. Perhaps do work experience for an airline/get a job at an airport, then make your choice.

Theres a lot more to a military career (both good and bad) than just flying aircraft. Then again, for civvy flying you have to fork out lots of cash, or be lucky enough to get sponsored-and even those require significant financial outlay.

Good luck with it all.

P.S. flyer19832007 - Where did you study? London? If so, we may have studied at the same place!

flyer19832007
21st Jul 2007, 13:28
negative buddy I went to Leeds!

bluepeely
22nd Jul 2007, 09:31
737 flying pissed up lads to magaluf or typhoon, tornado flying faster than sound??? I'm aiming for the first one but if i was 18 again it would of been the latter, its all about what you will be happiest flying. If you do join the RAF you'll probably end up commercial by the time your 40 but like mentioned above your captain will be younger and on more money than you.