View Full Version : Flying Aunts in the Kitchen

gingernut
18th Jul 2007, 19:48
Sorry, "flying Ants in the Kitchen,"

Any instant cures?

Ant
18th Jul 2007, 19:52
...er, yes.
I'll get my hat, coat, suitcase... and SOB SOB..... I'll be going then...

Goodbye SOB SOB (etc. a few times more):{:{:{

Ozzy
18th Jul 2007, 19:57
Anti ant ack ack :E:E

Ozzy

The SSK
18th Jul 2007, 19:57
Any instant cures?

Do what I do

Open the door & let 'em out

G-CPTN
18th Jul 2007, 20:10
Flying ants are a transient phase of ant development. They have wings so that they can migrate and establish new nests elsewhere.
In late summer, male ants and large fertile female ants are produced. These ants have wings, and can fly. They will leave the nest, sometimes in large enough numbers to make a noticeable swarm, and will mate while flying. All the male ants and many of the female queens will die fairly quickly, but the queens which survive will set up new nests.
The flying phase is one form where it is worth applying boiling water (or petrol). The more normal non-flying stage has to be countered by chemical means as there is an unlimited supply of them being created within the nest.
The life cycle starts with a fertile queen ant digging into the ground to make a small cell in which she lays eggs. These hatch in about 3-4 weeks into larvae. Within a further five weeks these larvae turn into adults ants. These ants, all sterile female workers now forage for food, and tend the queen ant who continues to lay eggs thus enlarging the nest.

BOAC
18th Jul 2007, 20:25
.er....antkiller?

SyllogismCheck
18th Jul 2007, 20:57
The flying ones are usually gone again as fast as they appeared. Just ignore 'em for the day or two that takes.

Was in Portugal way back and woke up one morning to find lots of fat ones crawling in under the shutters, upon the opening of which I saw all the white villas had turned grey overnight. Big flying ones everywhere were the cause. By that afternoon, just about all gone. That is except for the 6 inch wide, 1inch deep line of dead ones along the high water line on the beach for as far as the eye could see. Not seen anything like that before or since.

As for ants, can't help.

the incivil beast
18th Jul 2007, 21:06
vacuum cleaner

G-CPTN
18th Jul 2007, 21:23
Vacuum cleaners work for cockroaches too.
If you try to 'swat' a cockroach they will retreat from the pressure-wave that precedes the action, but they will (apparently) run towards a vacuum (it being hereto outside their vast evolutionary experience.

(Should this be in the things that you didn't know you knew thread?)

The SSK
18th Jul 2007, 21:33
Yes, but once they are inside your Hoover bag they don't die, you know.

They feed on the rest of the detritus and just get bigger and bigger, and meaner and meaner (on account of being locked up in the dark)
Until one day - BOOM

Never vacuum up a cockroach unless you know, for sure, that it's 100% dead (and how do you ever know that, with a cockroach?)

gingernut
18th Jul 2007, 21:35
oooer, bit more scared now:)

G-CPTN
18th Jul 2007, 21:44
I came 'face to face' with one a couple of inches long in my hotel bathroom in the Lee Garden Hotel in Hong Kong (since demolished, but it was a 'high class' hotel and I was in a VIP suite - the company that I worked for owned the hotel). We chased each other around the tiled floor with the roach keeping its head always facing me (like sumo wrestlers). I cannot recollect how I eventually trapped it, but I recall that boiling water 'did' for it and I was able to take it home to Denmark as a souvenir to show the children.
Those that infested the streets at night were much smaller . . .

reynoldsno1
18th Jul 2007, 21:49
Just declare your kitchen as transponder mandatory airspace - everyone knows that a transponder is far too heavy for a flying ant to pick up, and then they would have to fit some sort of power source as well, so there's no chance that they could get airborne. If they do happen to get equipped, they might get under the door, but then you could just tread on them, though you might get quite a lot of emergency squawks.

Hope this helps

wasdale
18th Jul 2007, 21:55
Let them free. They are perfect prey for swallows, swifts and house martins. :ok: :ok:

SyllogismCheck
18th Jul 2007, 21:58
If you try to 'swat' a cockroach they will retreat from the pressure-wave that precedes the action

Not quite so. I can report that a well swung scuba flipper will decapitate a rat size (or it least it seemed so in my half-asleep and deliciously wine soaked state) cockroach nicely. Couldn't bring myself to deal with the huge carcass there and then so went back to bed. By the morning, the tiny but busy Antiguan ants had crept in under the door, near which the roach fell, and picked apart and carried most of the giant body away. Aint nature grand.

I guess then, if you vacum up a cockroach, best to vacum up some ants too.

slim_slag
18th Jul 2007, 21:59
Used to suck up a load of flies into a vacuum cleaner (had to be the cylinder kind) and then empty a can of fly killer in there. Used to make the cleaner positively hum with their death throes as all their nerve endings fired uncontrollably. I really hate house flies.

Only ever used to work in the student flat, had a everlasting supply of flies there, the mrs wouldn't let that sort of thing happen nowadays :{

MadsDad
18th Jul 2007, 22:43
Never vacuum up a cockroach unless you know, for sure, that it's 100% dead

Or you are using one of the cyclonic vacuums (Dyson type).

Use one of them and parts of the roaches go supersonic while other parts don't. They really don't often survive that.

ShyTorque
19th Jul 2007, 00:02
That why they're called "Dy, son" ?

Whirlygig
19th Jul 2007, 00:12
Years ago I used to prepare the accounts for a pest control company. On their bookshelf were many books on many different vermin.

Vol 1 Rats and Mice
Vol 2 Pigeons
Vol 3 Ants
Vol 4 - 7 Cockroaches
Etc

I just could never believe that The Coackroach could fill four volumes and rodents only one!

Cheers

Whirls

Devlin Carnet
19th Jul 2007, 08:39
There is a proprietary ant killer called RAID. It works superbly.

Basil
19th Jul 2007, 10:57
Seen film of flying ants being eaten in Africa. Loads of calories.
Shallow fry in own fat and winnow to remove wings. Yummy!
Couldn't quite understand how they got them to stay still to be fried :confused:

gingernut
19th Jul 2007, 11:35
Crisis over, they've all mogged off- probably read this thread:}

G-CPTN
19th Jul 2007, 11:54
Told you so . . .

Foss
19th Jul 2007, 12:18
I've got myself one those there electric tennis rackets.
Makes a nice crackle.
So you get sadistic pleasure killing midges, and.. a work out.

You can also serve an ace on someone's bum. They jump.
Fos :E

chuks
19th Jul 2007, 12:34
Could it be used to get the attention of that famous dog of yours? Assuming you could catch it in the act of scoffing the Sunday roast or something, you might be able to train it, even.

Just a thought. We are standing by for the next installment of "A Dog's Life," featuring you, Idiot and a killer electronic tennis racket.

slim_slag
19th Jul 2007, 14:27
Crisis over, they've all mogged off- probably read this thread:}Have you checked your compost heap lately?

G-CPTN
19th Jul 2007, 14:34
I've just had a rally of 'electronic' tennis.
Me - 1 Fly - 0

Foss
19th Jul 2007, 15:24
Chuks
you might be able to train it, even
No idea whether your being sarcastic or not.
Idiot's trained to hand signals. :* How you got onto my 'famous dog' from midges is anyones guess.
Fos

goshdarnit
19th Jul 2007, 16:14
Blimey, now is obviously the season, got hundreds of the b*ggers flying around the back garden...and what appears to be the nest to end all nests in me compost heap (thanks slim).

How 'bout an airysol and a lighter? Does that actually work?

frostbite
19th Jul 2007, 17:11
Merge this with the 'Chocolate Fountain' thread and you have a novel new source of food and amusement.

G-CPTN
19th Jul 2007, 17:24
Once a nest is established there is only one way to tackle it - with a chemical such as borax (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Borax) (Nippon (http://www.vitax.co.uk/productshome.asp?catalog=1001)) which the ants take back to their nest and which kills all the occupants. Disturbing the nest doesn't work, as the survivors (and there will always be some) will merely remove the eggs to another location.
Pouring petrol (with or without igniting it) can only affect the surface critters - those underground will survive (unless you create a humongous explosion).

Wingswinger
19th Jul 2007, 20:21
We had flying ants in the kitchen of one of our past houses too. Never could get rid of them completely. Used to dread coming back to the house on hot humid days in late July/early August as we knew we'd have a swarm to clear out.

Sorry.

Double Zero
20th Jul 2007, 14:41
Ever seen the Harry Hill sketch - fly heads for electric purple zapper, has a heart attack mid-flight...glides into the zapper which 'de-fibs' it back to life...

If one can't locate a few Swallows' nests above the ants, I still think petrol followed by Nippon, probably repeated, would be therapeutic.

And while you're doing that to the decoy nest the raiding party behind you will be carting off your picnic...

gingernut
20th Jul 2007, 15:04
Have you checked your compost heap lately?

don't go anywhere near it Slim, stinks of Pi*s

Blacksheep
21st Jul 2007, 03:19
They're attracted by the light. When there's an ant migration I turn off all the lights and they leave us alone and go to annoy the neighbours. Its only half an hour or so before they've all shed their wings and the crisis is over.

I once forgot the lights in the fish tanks. The fish thought it was Xmas.