PDA

View Full Version : Arab/Muslim pilot discrimination...

CaptSkipper
18th Jul 2007, 19:10
Since the high threat of terrorism associated with aviation and public transport in the past few years, i was wondering how many, if any, pilots of muslim/arab background feel they have been affected adversly by these tragic events??
This is mainly aimed at pilots/crew operating in the UK/Europe.

Do you feel you may have been discrminated against in any way...

Have you possibly lost your job or found things different in the working environement...

Have you ever had to hide your religious beliefs or cultural background to aviod being discriminated against in the work place...

Or have things been positive for you in any way...

dartagnan
19th Jul 2007, 07:36
I have been recently in the USA, and I have not seen any arab, muslims pilots like it was before 9/11.
I know the immigration makes things much harder for them to enter, with very long application process, in fact, most are unwelcome in the States.

boogie-nicey
20th Jul 2007, 09:41
Not necessarily there are numerous arab pilots flying the states so don't go on initial speculation and stereotyping. Most Americans are not silly nor small minded as some would have us think, there have been examples post 9/11 of US captains standing up for their brown skinned crew members against passenger revolts in waiting lounges. Also a number of middle eastern students have completed type ratings there too so I'm sure it can be done. Indeed there'll be the understandable delay in application procedures and verification but I'm sure you can understand the circumstances for such caution.

As for dartagnan, well words fail me, the guy is always negative and full of doom and gloom over any issue. He's more depressing than the weather we're having the UK at the moment. :ok::ok:

LUFC-Fan
20th Jul 2007, 12:48
I am an arab/muslim, coming to the end of my A levels so i am looking for sponsorship hopefully i'll get one by this time next year (insha'allah). I am also british but the fact that i am arab/muslim i feel that its going to be very hard for me to be sponsored by any western airlines. Very sad if you ask me, because my chances have been made very slim by events occured in the past. This is my dream and i am just following it

cortilla
20th Jul 2007, 13:14
How sure are you that your chances have been reduced because of the events of the last 6 years until you try. Go in with an open mind, just as i'm sure that the people who would be interviewing you would have an open mind. Intelligent people know that it is just a small fraction that have violent feelings towards others.

Granted i'm white so i've never had these kinds of prejudices against me, but if i were ever in a position to interview people (many years from now) i'd like to think that i'd realise this and score people on their merits and not what others have done.

Mini fan
20th Jul 2007, 14:13
It's not 100% related but it is a bit. I'm still at uni and was going off to Florida to start step 1 of my training, get a PPL.

But unfortunately the US Embassy are giving me a massive run around. They won't approve my M1 Visa application, but they won't refuse it either. The person that interviewed me grilled me extensively, to the point where I was really getting annoyed with his inane and patronising questions, then after all that I was told he didn't have the authority to approve my application and I should take my I20, my Sevis receipt, and my Passport and go home and wait for a phone call/letter telling me the result of my application. He said it would be 2-3 days at most.

As some may know, the US embassy in the UK is probably more guarded than most of the airports so no mobiles are allowed inside. Knowing this I'd left it at home. By the time I got home I had a voicemail message from the guy who interviewed me. He basically said it's not going to be 2-3 days it's going to be as long as it takes. He gave me his name and a number I could call him at the embassy and said just to give a ring if I needed any more information. I left it a few days, then rang the number. No answer, went through to voicemail and a kind recorded message informed me the extension number I had dialled didn't subscribe to that voicemail service. Goodbye. Dial tone. A bit miffed I tried again and again, and have been ringing a few times a day for about a month now. No response.

All I can ascertain is that they don't want to give me a Visa to learn to fly in USA, but they don't want to say no because they have no real reason to say no. They don't want to be seen to be saying no based on the fact that I check all their "terrorist alert boxes" but they don't have any real intel that says I may be one. So by not doing anything eventually I'll either give up, or I'll have run out of time. They know I am a university student too so they may just wait till September when they know I can't go. I may be dropping out though so if they do that I win... haha.

(to Mods: I know this isn't 100% relevant but I assume because I'm still new here I can't post a new topic in the Private Pilot forum - I tried and failed - so I've been waiting for a semi-relevant topic to come around so I can post a reply in it. Feel free to move this there as a New topic if you wish. I just wanted to warn other UK Asian/Muslim people who are thinking of going to USA for some training they may have issues with it)

20th Jul 2007, 14:59
Without starting a race argument, but correct me if I am incorrect but, I have hardly not seen any Asian/Arab ethnic orgin working for the likes of BMI Mainline.

boogie-nicey
20th Jul 2007, 15:09
That's because there have been very few Asian or any ethnic minority students undertaking pilot training until quite recently. Thus you'll begin to see more and more go through the pipeline and then end up at BMI mainline in years to come....

randomair
20th Jul 2007, 15:13
Maybe they've just got commen sense and choose not to work with bmi mainline...:}

Don_Simon
20th Jul 2007, 16:23
As a Muslim working for a British Airline I have to say that I overcame many a hurdle to securing a job. I was given non-sensal reasons for being rejected at interview despite very often doing well in aptitude tests etc. I felt there was a prejudice against Muslims - I could give you an example but I won't since the airline would very easily know who I am. To tell it briefly I got rejected by a certain airline at interview. The reason they gave me was a weird one but I accepted it and moved on. Later I found out they had given the job to atleast 3 other people who according to the reason they gave me should also have been rejected. I was going to write a letter to them but in the end left it though thinking back now I probably should have.

The main stumbling block is the cultural differences. Usually the interviewers can't relate to you. That was a big problem for me at interviews. I'm very competent in my field and my record proves that, but for some reason the HR guys didn't like me. I don't have any character problems.

Mind you, not all airlines are like that. ThomsonFly for one are not like that. I won't list the ones that are... :)

I wish you the best of luck in your pursuit of your dream. Don't let it put you off, but be prepared for the sort of thing I've mentioned above.

jeremydewever
20th Jul 2007, 17:24
do we need to change religion and become musulman for be a pilot to Etihad ?
Thaaaanks

shaun ryder
20th Jul 2007, 17:31
You felt that you were being discriminated against because of your religion? Simply because you were not selected at interview, so you were that good, you believe the job should have been yours hey? What explanation do the majority of us get for all the rejection letters that dont turn up without an explanation as to why we failed selection, how do we justify not getting the job after obviously being so good at what we do?? It is nothing to do with religion, but what you are implying is that some UK airlines are being racially prejudice, an outrageous statement. This is the United Kingdom remember, pilots are employed from all over the world here, taking jobs from home grown talent, is that some form of discrimination against Brits??? To suggest that you are the victim of discrimination is ridiculous, spreading this tosh about is only likely to stir up tempers. Also implying that others like you are likely to be victims of such fantasy whilst job hunting is simply nonsensical and dangerous.

Believe me, this not a poke at anyones faith or beliefs, but enough is enough.

TIC13
20th Jul 2007, 18:21
The statement:

"taking jobs from home grown talent"

Is sort of... discusting. So you think that foreing pilots "take" jobs:confused:...fine. Your point of view to justify Don Simon words is that foreings are taking something that belongs to others (because those "others" are Brits:eek:). Where did you get that right from???? If that home talents are such, I am sure they will get a job by themselfs because they deserve it not because they are Brits. Let me tell you that I am foreing and where I am from, there are some others foreings (including Brits) working for airlines, you should tell them to come back home, so I would be able to get that job that belongs to me and by the way, make more difficult for those unexperience home talents to get that job of their :ugh:.
There are lovely people here, but I have to say that there are also people not that nice.
Talking about interviews, I have passed exactly through the same as Don Simon, but I am not muslim.

"The main stumbling block is the cultural differences. Usually the interviewers can't relate to you. That was a big problem for me at interviews. I'm very competent in my field and my record proves that, but for some reason the HR guys didn't like me. I don't have any character problems."

I am completely agree with you, most HR people are unable to understand that the fact that there are cultural differences doesnīt mean that you are a problematic person. What is worse is that they donīt even think on that, they see that you are different in some aspects, and in plain english, you are weird and they just donīt trust you. :(

I think that muslim pilots are going to have slightly some more problems in some places, but I am sure that it wonīt be that way everywhere.

TIC13
20th Jul 2007, 20:42
The fact is that I do, and nobody has complained or have had any problem understanding me (I started 1,6 years ago).;)
Although my english is not perfect, it seems that you have understood me very well, then it can not be that bad. Sorry that I canīt talk as posh and as well as you, but english is just my third languaje, being bilingual in other two, so excuse me please, I try my best.
Try to annoy me in Italian too if you wish, I donīt bother even a bit because of the bad intetion of your comment.
Anyway I encourage you to try harder and practice some more Spanish as I knew what you meant but there are errors in your phrase.(you could participate in the spanish forum, they wonīt critize you or will try to make you feel bad if you do mistakes).
You could write what you have said in english, I think it woul be fair for everybody else in the forum to know what you meant.:=

Ringway004
20th Jul 2007, 23:03
Hi there, an interesting topic to find after isiting this site since years, but yes it is a different world out there today than it was six years ago, let me tell you about my experience. I went to the embassy for my visa and had to wait there for ages, after persuading the consulate that i was not going to fly into any buildings! :confused:(which is what he asked me) he approved my visa. also i was informed that my name was the same match of a suspected wnated terrorist :bored: and he has to make sure i wasn't the bad guy. so i got my visa:) and could go to Florida for my ppl flight training BUTit did not guarantee entry into the US.
when I got into the US i was held up at immigration for 2hrs and being somehwat treated seperatly and differently compared to the students i went along with who just showed their I-20's and were free to go. i was asked about how serious i was a practising muslim, weather i've been to any of these countries in the last six months, pakistan, afganistan etc, where was my university inLondon, what was the name of this course i was doing, where my parents came from:eek:
all was good and after passing that last hurdle they let me go, since i produced the neccesassry documents, id, spoke gould fluent eng and posed no threat, in fact they seemed pretty nice actually afterwards.
my point is basically they are not going to take any chances and i accept that. being a muslim myself my advise to you is as long as you can provide evidence of your ability to support yourself financially and source of income, your eng is reasonably good, you have your vis/passport, and if your from england or whereverver if you got educational backgrounds then there is no reason whey you should be denied training. After my TSA was approved i began my training and just completed my ppl in florida. during my time there the people i met were awsome, i met other muslims and all ethnic background students, although you might get some prejudice/discriminativeness when applying for jobs, i'd be patient and keep your options open because your far more likely to be selected based on your aptitude and personality than your race/religion. its a tough career, especially for muslims but i'm determined to go all the way through my FATPL and eventually somewhere in the end i will get employed (inshallah) but i'm not gonna let the past stop me from acheiving my dream. good luck!

tom775257
22nd Jul 2007, 13:25
<TIC13>
Just to note I am English and work abroad for a European airline. I have be told to my face multiple times 'we don't want you here.' I suspect Britain is one of the more tolerant places out there compared to a lot of Europe, for what it's worth.
(With reference to discussion on foreigners 'taking' jobs in countries, rather than religious / race topic of the thread).

I would hope at least in England the recruitment process would be fair for everyone without any positive or negative discrimination based on sex/race/religion/which airline your father worked for etc. :uhoh:

Left Wing
23rd Jul 2007, 03:59
after the doctors getting involved, things just got tuff.....

there are many asian national muslims in line for visas in EU, Aus, USA and their future is now destroyed due a few despots.:ugh::ugh::mad:

ithinkso
23rd Jul 2007, 04:30
is anyone surprised that muslims get discriminated against?????

in the eyes of the general public, muslim+aeroplane=9/11.

the problem is not a non muslim problem, it is a muslim problem. muslims are not all bad people, as a rule they are educated, have loving families and basically live life as most non muslims do. the muslim problem is as follows: muslims in general have to take responsibility for the actions of those who commit acts of terror in the name of islam. the average muslim has to stand up and stop their islamic brothers from committing these acts. until the average muslim takes control of this situation, the rest of the world in general will treat them suspicion.

most people wouldnt be nervous sitting next to a buddist monk on an aircraft.

sad, but true.

topper74
23rd Jul 2007, 07:47
exactly... its "sad but true"
Unfortunately I ont think this problem will change for many years.
But suprise ?? I think it goes both ways this issue.

Two years ago a Danish newspaper made some catoons which wasent too popular in the muslim world... Because of that there was entire parts of the world were we Danes couldent go because it was too dangerous.
So .... Is it fair that I get judged by a cartoon in newspaper ???
- The answer is NO
Is it fair that the average muslim person get judged by terroracts etc.
- Angain the answer is NO

But no matter how unfair it seems... and indeed alot of us thinks its unfair, i dont think things will change quickly.... unfortunately.

it is indeed SAD BUT TRUE :(

Mia Donna
23rd Jul 2007, 09:48
TIC12345 :

I have read your posts (most of which was incredibly difficult due to your poor english) and think you are talking rubbish ! I grew up in a european country , speak the language to perfection but would not even apply for a job as i already know the outcome !!! most countries including yours i suspect only like to employ 'their own ' .

We in this country however accept lots of people to come in whatever their religion or nationality. Oh and not forgetting we also provide them with a nice house and free money every week courtesy of all the hard working tax payers. Fact is we are a nation of acceptance and if we were discriminating against people due to their race then surely they would not get past immigration !!

I have many muslim friends who are fantastic people , everybody has the right to believe in what they want ! anyone who thinks they are not getting jobs in this country due to anything else but their ability or LACK of it as some of the posts here suggest (DON SiMON) are very mistaken.

boogie-nicey
23rd Jul 2007, 10:32
Remember that one of the most basic variables in an interview is "do we like this person". You can never actually say you dislike someone in a somewhat direct manner. After all on a date we'd probably make up some kind of lame excuse about having to go home early rather than 'tell it as it is to the poor girl/guy'. No different in an interview as they say you decide within the first couple of seconds whether you like/dislike the person on the other side of the table. Of course there are instances where people are way off the mark and acting in an unfair way but in this day and age (even aviation) that's quite rare. I'd say that attemtping to become a pilot or anything aviation related in the 70s would have been next to impossible. My father wandered into a flying school in the early/mid 70s and I clearly recall the response, they refused to speak to him and then someone told him "NO, NO, NO, NO" whilst aggressively waving their arms ... somethings you never forget. As for modern day aviation I'd say that in terms of the frequently used and equally worn out 'race issue', it's FAR LESS of a factor than historically. Besides aviation has a far higher proportion of intellectual people than other industries where 'office managers' who can't manange and 'administrators' who can't spell spell don't even come close to the performance factors and fairness demonstrated by our aviation colleagues.

Indeed religon might be an issue for some people but that's life and not a blanket comment about race which is an ugly word regardless of which direction it's implied. Even if there are instances of racist behaviour exhibited within the aviation community then believe you me it's that company's loss and with that insular attitude they'll be doing an Alitalia sometime soon .....

ozzieb88
23rd Jul 2007, 10:59
Hi,

Im 19, muslim and British, Im on an sponsorship type thing with a small biz jet firm!

Discrimination...well I reckon there is and isnt, we all joke at my place about everything. I dont take any of it to heart just give as much as you get. But we have a common understanding that its just a little mess around. Nothing ever gets serious.

But to answer to one of your questions..Nope i have never been subject to any discrimination...well none in the aviation world.

Oz

menikos
23rd Jul 2007, 12:02
Hello,

what about a bearded man ? is it also the same even if he has a trimmed one ?

boogie-nicey
23rd Jul 2007, 13:12
Well done to the chap who's on that 'sponsored biz jet thing' as he puts it ;)
Keep a positive mind and outlook otherwise you'll end up being scared of your shadows. Besides don't forget the VAST majority of decent, honest, hard working non-muslim colleagues of yours. Whilst keeping an eye out for the instances of racist behaviour (which is in itself very minuscule in amount) just remember to give a wink and a pat on the back for the rest of the good guys. Ultimately we're all in it together, there are no one man teams in this world (how many times I have said that before:ok:).

Be cool and boogie down!

Re-Heat
23rd Jul 2007, 16:55
Mini Fan: apply for the visa through the Paris embassy instead.

Shaun: calm down - he doesn't care, but you seem to care too much...you have clearly forgotten that British Asians are British. The British Empire encompassed a huge amount of the globe, and all the subjects were British, while many still are...

muslims in general have to take responsibility for the actions of those who commit acts of terror in the name of islam
I think this comment is utterly ignorant (although the remaining giste of ithinkso's post is unfortunately realistic). What responsibility does anyone have to apologise for someone else who claims to come from the same religion as themselves?
Are we supposed to go overseas and apologise daily for the evils commited in our name under the Empire? Are we supposed to take responsibility for David Copeland's London bombing campaign in 1999? Are all the Irish supposed to apologise for the IRA's campaigns?

Clearly this is ridiculous, and the very fact that extremists have hijacked the Muslim faith, and the good name of the thousands of hard-working Pakistanis and Muslims from India, Kenya, Jamaica, Somalia and the many other countries from which the bombers' families came, is no different than any other extremist cause that has hijacked the good name of the Irish, Basques, and many others.

Going back to this thread, as a friend and colleague of many Muslims, none I know have been threatened, or feel discriminated.

The worrying undercurrent of low-level racist idiocy displayed by some such as Shaun Ryder is however disturbing, especially where these views are supposed to be coming from intelligent people.

It remains to be emphasised that every person should treat every other person as an individual in his or her own right. Only then will the uneducated learn.

Does Shaun ever say anything nice??

TIC13
23rd Jul 2007, 20:33
The point is that I am telling MY experience an MY opinion, the same as others do (including Don Simon).Some of you may dislike and disagree but that is not my problem. This is a forum to express opinions.
There are a lot of nice people out there but there are people that ARE NOT nice at all. (I think I made that point very clear before).
Itīs my opinion, based on my experience, and I respect your opinion but I donīt agree with it.(And I reaffirm my mind by seeing some answers.)

Example

From Mia Donna:
"We in this country however accept lots of people to come in whatever their religion or nationality. Oh and not forgetting we also provide them with a nice house and free money every week courtesy of all the hard working tax payers. Fact is we are a nation of acceptance and if we were discriminating against people due to their race then surely they would not get past immigration !!"

Answer:
For your information, I have a job, I pay taxes too, and I pay for MY house, the same as most foreings in UK do. Nobody gives me free money as you have said or a house.If you go to other countries in Europe (including mine), they will do the same for you if you need it or if you have trouble finding a job, and on top of that, they will give you the opportunity to take lessons and learn the languaje amongst other facilities.
By the way, more than 1/3 of the pilots in my country are foreing, and more than half of than proportion are Brits.
I would like to let you know, that UK is one of the countries with the higher rate of emigration to other places such as Australia, Spain or US mainly.
I give you this information because the comments you do in your post, I am not trying to be funny or annoying.

To summarize, Mia Dona, and company; foreing doesnīt mean people without money or withouth a job that come to your country to live from the goverment helps and the taxes that you pay and to steal job opportunities to home made talents later on.

Is OK for you say “other countries like to employ their people” (reason you didnīt even apply for a job there as you knew the outcome) but it is unthinkable for other people to say that they are having difficulties on getting a job in your country.
oh! that is rubish, I forgot, sorry.
Although I respect your opinion, I prefer to keep thinking "rubish" (as you have said). I have never liked double standards.

Wherever you go (including UK, even if you donīt want to agree) you will find all kind of people in everydayīs life and in HR departments doing interviews.

Sorry for the mistakes, I try my best.

Thanks for your understanding.

BritishGuy
23rd Jul 2007, 22:45
I'll try and keep this vague as I don't want to be identified too easily, but I work for a US carrier. I can't say I was discriminated against when being hired (but then again this airline is soooooo desperate as people are leaving here in the drones). They'd hire anyone with a pulse right now - no joke.

That said, we do have a system in place for flight crew to jumpseat on other US carriers. It's called CASS - Cockpit Access Securtity System (or something to that effect). I'd say I've felt the not-obvious dicrimination about 80% of the time I jumpseat. I've seen people check my credentials so closely, where I've seen other colleagues in the aviation system not even have their credentials even questioned.

Also as I go though security over here at the airports, I've been walking though as a part of my crew and they walk though and flash their badge, and yet me they stop and read every word on the front and back of my ID. It makes me feel embarressed - but what can I do? Not much unfortunately. It's the signs of the times and sometimes (not all the time) but at least once a day when on duty, I do feel like a black man in the deep south of the USA back when the black guy was made to sit in the back of the bus.

That all said, I have only ever had one experience in the cockpit with a United Airlines mainline crew, that had anyone have heard the CVR, then I know that would be grounds for dismissal (but then coming from me - I'd be the one that'd end up on the wrong end of the stick). The language they used and the intimidation tactics used (against me) was unreal. It disgusted me that the Captain of this Airbus may have been someone I aspire to be one day. To be honest with you that day I cried inside in the jumpseat on the way home in that cockpit.

Over here in the US special trained crew can carry guns for safety. Again, signs of the times, and whatever it takes to make the ship secure. But this individual was indirectly telling me to my face using VERY colourful language how he wasn't afraid to use it against me if I tried anything. I felt sad. Very.

That said, I still have met many very professional american captains (albeit very few in this day and age) that I can truly say are the examples of the kind of pilot/personality I want to be (I gentleman of a US Aiways Captain comes to mind). Again, good and bad is everywhere, be it in white, black, yellow or orange, muslim or jew or christian.

veetwo
24th Jul 2007, 01:05
I think this comment is utterly ignorant (although the remaining giste of ithinkso's post is unfortunately realistic).

I think what "ithinkso" may have been gesturing at, however undiplomatic, was also captured rather well by a political cartoon published in the Daily Telegraph only last week. It depicted a group of Muslims staging a protest holding up signs saying (things like), "End the bombs", "no more suicide attacks" and "practice Islam in peace".

I guess the essence of the message was that when the Islamic faith is attacked in some way, such as the now infamous danish cartoons, there is absolute outcry and mass protest. The same cannot be said for when the Islamic faith causes a suicide bomber (however mislead) to blow up a bus full of people.

I believe, as I suspect most other rational people do, that a tiny minority of very misguided individuals use the Islamic faith to justify their terrorist actions. Surely though, those who practice Islam must accept that this is happening and do more to prevent it in the future. Actively demonstrating and spreading the word that nearly all followers of Islam despise these actions would likely lead to a change in public opinion, whilst also dissuading those who might otherwise one day become terrorists themselves. At the moment while Islamic leaders have naturally denounced violence in the name of Islam, it seems to be a sheltered message, not reaching the important audience - the future bomber themselves.

V2

Don_Simon
24th Jul 2007, 13:45
anyone who thinks they are not getting jobs in this country due to anything else but their ability or LACK of it as some of the posts here suggest (DON SiMON) are very mistaken.

I hope I don't come across you in an interview if you already hold that judgement of me without even knowing me. :)

wasdale
24th Jul 2007, 15:49
I have had to fly with quite a few Muslims who a) insisted on leaving their seat to pray on the flightdeck floor in flight and b) embarked on longhaul flights early in the morning during Ramadan and had not a drop to drink or a bite for maybe 12 hours or more. Neither of these can be safe.
Any such pilot in any outfit of mine would soon be on his bike.

davey147
24th Jul 2007, 17:39
I have had to fly with quite a few Muslims who a) insisted on leaving their seat to pray on the flightdeck floor in flight and b) embarked on longhaul flights early in the morning during Ramadan and had not a drop to drink or a bite for maybe 12 hours or more. Neither of these can be safe.

This is totally unacceptable and should be reported, it is a danger to passengers and crew. If the crew member cannot put in a full shift without praying then they shouldnt be allowed to be pilots.

Maybe you should have a glass of wine or two to celebrate xmas whilst acting as a pilot. :)

Sorry i'm just discusted at the above, unbelievable :(

Re-Heat
24th Jul 2007, 17:44
If you are offended by someone's piety or not, you are an idiot. The FMC on many Boeings even contains a fix on Mecca for those who feel the need to pray (type ISLAM into it). Do you object to prayers from committed Christians as well? How does a 5 minute prayer break differ from 5 minutes in the restroom?

As for fasting, professional pilots will have considered their state in Ramadan and eaten sufficiently prior to flying. Many Muslims further consider flying duties an exemption from the requirement to fast, but those who don't have been fasting for years and probably know exactly when to eat before and after to ensure full alertness.

Did you perhaps consider perhaps of the Captain on the Atkins diet (arrested due to the smell on the breath mistaken for alcohol, as widely reported here and elsewhere). Perhaps you, in your medical wisdom, consider him unfit for flying duties as well due to lower carbohydrates in the body.

I digress, however, I suggest you don't bother starting your own company in any field ever, as you will be in an employment tribunal inside a month with that attitude.

Re-Heat
24th Jul 2007, 17:47
Just to add, if you ever have flight safety concerns regarding inappropriate fasting for extended periods, and suspect actual reduced alertness, report it as a flight safety issue immediately.

The individual could be in a position of not realising themselves that they are less alert - you could do them a favour.

Did you do so? Or was the problem perceived rather than actual?

aftab
24th Jul 2007, 17:49
hi there wasdale.

Didnt kno you did longhaul on the 737?? :} unless you have been flying longhaul prior, dont understand why but ok.
You have 'had' to fly, so if given the option you wudnt fly with a muslim pilot? Also, 'insisted' they left their seat to fly, could you elaborate on that as i would be quite interested to know about this.
I dont understand how a pilot will have been upto 12 hours before food before embarking on a early morning long haul flight, because when you keep your fast you a good sized meal in the morning. Also i think it depends on the individual on how they are affected by fasting.

no hard feelings mate.

Sunny

aftab
24th Jul 2007, 17:55
i entirely agree with Re-heat.

very good posts.

flightsafety737
25th Jul 2007, 18:40
Hey There,
I'm Moslem and I have no problem to go to USA ever since.
I took my Boeing 737 type rating over FlightSafety Boeing in Long Beach CA just after 9/11...I went to US Embassy in Jakarta Indonesia, just one week after 9/11 and they passed my visa to go to USA

Best Regards,
Flightsafety737

Perwazee
25th Jul 2007, 21:36
TIC12345 :

I have read your posts (most of which was incredibly difficult due to your poor english) and think you are talking rubbish ! I grew up in a european country , speak the language to perfection but would not even apply for a job as i already know the outcome !!! most countries including yours i suspect only like to employ 'their own ' .

We in this country however accept lots of people to come in whatever their religion or nationality. Oh and not forgetting we also provide them with a nice house and free money every week courtesy of all the hard working tax payers. Fact is we are a nation of acceptance and if we were discriminating against people due to their race then surely they would not get past immigration !!

I have many muslim friends who are fantastic people , everybody has the right to believe in what they want ! anyone who thinks they are not getting jobs in this country due to anything else but their ability or LACK of it as some of the posts here suggest (DON SiMON) are very mistaken.

Very Well Said!

And this is from someone who grew up in a Muslim country and is presently flying for an airline in the US!

Gulfstreamaviator
26th Jul 2007, 09:43
is of this ilk.

I learned a lot from him, and would never wish him to be discrimated against.

I am currently working in the ME, and hope that I am not discriminated against as I am not Muslim.

glf

Aviation Jobs
26th Jul 2007, 10:23
Why everybody wants to go to the West? it is anyhow crazy word there.

Go to India for example. The airlines there hire pilots from all kind of religions.

No_Speed_Restriction
26th Jul 2007, 19:29
What happened to the post by 3REDS? (Informative reading)