PDA

View Full Version : Windows Media Update 11 problems

silly walks
17th Jul 2007, 18:15
Recently I updated my media player from 10 to 11. Then the fun started....
My laptop would not play CDs at all, even ones previously uploaded into my music file. It would however play DVD and read CD-roms.:ugh::ugh
I have uninstalled Media Player 11, and rolled back to 10.
This does not appear to have fixed the problem. Does any body have any ideas before the rubber mallet comes out:mad::mad:.

green granite
17th Jul 2007, 18:24
I believe that 11 had DRM written into it so perhaps it's that which is causing the problem? I don't know how to deal with it though. :(

extreme P
17th Jul 2007, 19:02
I have no problem with 11 and audio CD's. Perhaps the files on the CD are not associated with WMP? You can associate them under options.

silly walks
17th Jul 2007, 19:37
Thanks for the replies so far.

extreme p
The problem is the driver is not even registering that fact that they are audio CDs, so I can't even play them let along associate them.There is no problem with DVDs though, and the self test fuction on my driver says all is ok.:(

green granite
17th Jul 2007, 20:19
Under <tools-options-file types> I notice on my system that the "music cd playback" box is not ticked by default (I don't use media player for music) could it be that which is the problem?. Right click on the top left icon to find tools.

extreme P
18th Jul 2007, 03:12
:ok: Tick the box and let us know how it works.

BigEndBob
18th Jul 2007, 20:44
http://www.cccp-project.net/

Try downloading the above codec package.
Seems to have most that MS don't want you to have.
Have no problems playing just about anything, HD DVD, CD, DVD etc, etc.

silly walks
19th Jul 2007, 11:59
Thanks a lot for the responses so far.
Went into the tools and made sure the box was checked, but still problem persists.

Big end bob

Cheers will download that and see what happens.

Terraplaneblues
23rd Jul 2007, 13:16
I had a strange thing happen after the update where I couldn't play .mpeg or .mpg until I changed the file type to .mpe, scoured forums and found a mention of Samsung media center or some such thing. I thought, I haven't got that, but one of my daughters had just got a new phone and sure enough that programme was in the add/remove software list, removed and all healed up.