PDA

View Full Version : Leftovers!

acebaxter
17th Jul 2007, 17:00
I've got some leftover images on my screen after closing all browsers, programs etc. It's usually a straight line part way across the screen. The only way I've found to get rid of it is to restart the box. That clears it up for a while but eventually it comes back.

I have no idea which program is doing it. It's not there and then I notice it. Any thoughts or suggestions?

windows xp pro is the os.

green granite
17th Jul 2007, 18:19
Download "Process explorer" from Microsoft (it can be set to start on "ctrl+alt+del key sequence) this will show you which program has not closed properly and is still running

http://www.microsoft.com/technet/sysinternals/default.mspx.

It may also be a problem with your graphics card/driver.

acebaxter
18th Jul 2007, 11:54
Thanks I'll give it a try.

Gertrude the Wombat
18th Jul 2007, 17:48
Last time I had that sort of thing it was down to bugs in the video driver. But that was a long time ago and it ought to be surprising if people were still doing things like that in 2007.

amanoffewwords
18th Jul 2007, 18:06
I had happen to my PC - discovered the graphic card fan had dropped off its' perch. Re-attached and firmed down with some cable ties - all ok since then.

acebaxter
18th Jul 2007, 18:09
Thanks to all. I'm not going to have much time to play with it until these lovely JAA exams are done next week. After that I'll do my best to sort it out.

Thanks again.