PDA

View Full Version : Flybe interview

Baz757
16th Jul 2007, 20:09
There are a few Flybe threads on this forum, but most of them concentrate on the pro's and con's of working for said airline. There's very little to be found on the interview one could expect with them. I have one later this week and would appreciate it if someone could tell me a little of what to expect, tech questions (if any), number of interviewers etc?
Many thanks
Bazza

EDIT -
I should add im a cpl/ir/mcc holder recently finished integrated course if that makes any difference to interview.
Which base(s) could I expect if successful?

speedrestriction
16th Jul 2007, 23:03
Basing depends on where the gaps are when you finish training - a little flexibility goes a long way. The company don't seem to be worried about integrated or modular. Usually 2-3 people conducting interview. Friendly interview, will want to find out about you, what you've done in the past that's relevant to (hopefully) your new job etc. As with any interview, be honest. Research the Q400.

sr

3legs
17th Jul 2007, 05:45
Baz,

I got a phonecall yesterday Afternoon So I guess I will might see you in Exeter on Thursday!!

I asked what the format of the interview is on the phone. They siad it will be a few standard questions lasting about 45mins to an hour. Asked one of my mates who is already working there and he told me its a informal chat nothing too tricky!!

Oh yes Know the company history ;)

Good Luck

3legs
:ok:

flyer19832007
17th Jul 2007, 20:09
The interview is a nice relaxed one where they really just want to find out about you, be honest, positive, and enthusiastic about working for them and make sure you know exactly why you want to work for them.

Ive been to an interview with another airline interview and i felt so stressed through the whole thing, little or no room for manoeuvre where as the flybe one was a breath of fresh air because the interviewers put you at ease as quickly as possible so that you can perform at your best!

Best advice, make sure you know about the company, and more importantly make sure you know yourself!

Flyer.

flyer19832007
17th Jul 2007, 20:12
Oh currently recruiting for IOM starting end of month or Hold pool for other bases starting later in year. (12 places every month i believe)

For those starting end of the month I'll see you down in EXE!

Flyer

r2_unit
17th Jul 2007, 20:14
Baz757,

Well done on getting an interview fella.

At the risk of sounding nosey - when did fill in the online application?

Cheers

blueskiesup
17th Jul 2007, 20:34
At the risk of sounding even nosier, how old are you guys that are getting the interviews, no room for the oldies i'm guessing(38)???.

r2_unit
17th Jul 2007, 20:57
blueskiesup,

I'm 32, I've just finished a modular CPL/IR/ME/MCC course and my applications went out over the past week or so...

...err, i'll keep you posted. :}

Deano777
17th Jul 2007, 21:01
Blue

I'm 34 and I was accepted :ok:, flybe are a great bunch, thank goodness for airlines like flybe who accept the older pilot, hats off to them

Canada Goose
18th Jul 2007, 10:02
I've applied to Flybe about 5 times. First time applied was back in the days of CV and letter at age 38 (now 40). Done the online application about 3/4 times. 600 hours and current. Never hear a sausage !!?????

Baz757
18th Jul 2007, 11:14
I think my interview was as a result of the mess that is the FTE recommendation system, though I did fill in an online application about 3 months ago. I'm 22.

And thanks for the replies so far, nice to know it's not going to be overly daunting (i hope).

blueskiesup
18th Jul 2007, 19:38
thanks for the replies for and from the over 30's, still trying after 2 1/2 years.

r2_unit
18th Jul 2007, 20:13
blue,

Have you had your fATPL for 2.5yrs and still not had a bite from an airline mate??

blueskiesup
18th Jul 2007, 20:38
affraid so R2,going to try and do an atr rating in jan(ish).

r2_unit
18th Jul 2007, 20:55
...crumbs.

Kind of kicks my 6mth plan into touch. Guess i'll keep the day job going.

ATR rating sounds like a top idea though - BOUND to get things moving in the right direction for you.

All the best.

Deano777
18th Jul 2007, 21:42
blue can I ask why an ATR rating?

MIKECR
19th Jul 2007, 10:06
Has anyone filled in the online application lately? The following quote is from the website - "The flybe Pilot Recruitment Team have now received over 800 applications for First Officer positions with the Company. We intend to commence First Officer Recruitment during July 2007 and will be contacting individuals over the next few weeks". Im just wondering whether its worth filling in just now or waiting a little while. It seem there may be enough applications being processed already.

blueskiesup
19th Jul 2007, 16:56
Deano,

I've contacted the HOT of AerArann via email, he said that if i got myself an ATR rating, i'd get an interview. A good friend of mine has just left for easy, but whilst there, he did everything to help me, gave the C/P a CV and "held on file" for future intakes.
I've gone the slighty unconventional route to getting a job, I work in france on a very good contract and then come home on the weekends to do part-time instructing. The contract is hopefully going to pay for the rating so i don't go even more in hock.
I'm sure things will happen, good luck to those who are trying.

spoolup
20th Jul 2007, 09:38
any words of wisdom on how to get a call from these guys?
i updated the app 5-6 times. 3500+ hrs with 900 medium jet
no joy..... should've kept the day job....

sdryh
20th Jul 2007, 10:44
Have any of you got a sim check :eek:

alphaadrian
20th Jul 2007, 14:13
Hi R2 unit,

Just responding to your disbelief in someone having a fATPL for 2.5 years and not having had a sniff at an airline interview,I have had mine for 4 years and have 1400hrs-400ME and until recently havent had a sniff at all:{ and have applied many times to all the usual suspects. I am 41 so I definitely think age makes a difference!! All my(young) students getting jobs so must be doing something right tho. All I can say is keep on plodding on..i am sure things will turn right in the end. U may be lucky and get a job straight away. Good luck to u all:ok:
Oh and I have been on Flybes case since 2003 and nothing so far so not sure which criteria they use for selection. Did hear they dont like oldies but it seems not to be the case reading some of these threads.

Alpha

blueskiesup
23rd Jul 2007, 16:33
Hey Alpha,

Glad i'm not the only oldie having trouble, hope things pick up,

Blue

alphaadrian
24th Jul 2007, 17:09
Good luck to u too Blue:ok:

r2_unit
26th Jul 2007, 22:00
Thanks for the encouragement alphaadrian - guess i'll just keep stapling the fivers to my covering letters :}

Deano777
26th Jul 2007, 22:22
You see r2, that's what you're doing wrong, it's £50 notes that's required, did you not know this? ;)

Desk-pilot
26th Jul 2007, 23:21
Chaps,

I'm 38 now and was offered a position with Flybe aged 37 - as you say thank goodness for airlines like Flybe that are prepared to give us oldies a chance. To be honest the intake from my group varied from 24 ish to nearly 60 although amongst the F/O's at 38 when I started type rating I wasn't the oldest - there's another chap a few months older than me and nearer 39.

The really old buggers were all direct entry Captains ex BA/BMI etc!!

As others have said the interview is heavily personality based - they really just want to get to know you as a person - don't recall any tech questions. As a matter of fact I think the interview is a good indication of the pragmatic culture in Flybe - they know that you can learn tech facts because you have passed the JAR's so I suspect they don't really see much point re-testing that ability. Of more significance is your overall personality and fit with the organisation. I'd say just be yourself - they're not trying to catch you out - they need pilots at present because there's considerable turnover amongst F/O's leaving for better paid jobs flying heavy metal.

Also I suspect they know that an older chap may put down roots and stick around for longer due to family commitments etc so do keep applying and stick with it.

Good luck,

Desk-pilot

Deano777
26th Jul 2007, 23:24
Desk Pilot

But they do ask techie questions, so potential interviewee's do not go to the interview thinking you won't be asked any, I was asked 6, but nothing to catch you out

Desk-pilot
27th Jul 2007, 08:15
Deano,
I'm grateful for the clarification. Sorry if I misled anyone because I guess the interview format will vary depending upon who you get on the day. As a result any potential interviewee would be well advised to make sure that they:
Learn about Flybe the company, fleet composition, a/c orders, bases etc
Learn the commonly asked tech questions
Think about the commonly asked interview questions - why Flybe? etc.
Desk-pilot

blueskiesup
27th Jul 2007, 17:07
Desk-pilot,

Well done on the job, gives us oldies a flicker of hope. May I ask the obvious, how many hours do you have and were you instructing before hand?.

Blue

BlueRobin
28th Jul 2007, 17:23
What are the tech questions just out of interest?

Desk-pilot
28th Jul 2007, 18:29
Blueskiesup,

I'm glad my story is one that offers you some comfort. I was strictly a low hours guy. I went through OATS APP and then hired commercial sims to keep current and only did a very small amount of flying in a Warrior out of Fairoaks. So I think I was probably around 300 hours total including sim when I applied and less than 200 hrs actual flight time. I applied to Flybe twice myself but I only got invited to interview when OATS put me forward.

From my intake however there was a chap who I think did Cabair modular, then instructed for a couple of hundred hours, then a couple of others out of Cabair who had Jersey and Guernsey residency so there's a real mix as you can see.

If I was really wanting to join I think I'd be tempted to think about cabin crew as a back door route in - at least you'd stand out from the other 800CV's they have in a pile.

I hope this helps and wish you all the very best of luck.

I hope to fly with you someday...

Desk-pilot

blueskiesup
28th Jul 2007, 19:55
desk-pilot,

thanks for the insight,hope all goes well with the first class position. Perhaps in time we'll be asking each other, "v1, rotate".