PDA

View Full Version : Strathaven Airfield

Scottishflyer182
16th Jul 2007, 19:58
I read this month in Flyer that there are now 3 runways. What length are they.

What are the long term plans for hangerage>

Is it still mainly a microlight airfield?

Cheers

clearfinalsno1
16th Jul 2007, 22:00
http://www.strathavenairfield.co.uk/ainfo.html

Say again s l o w l y
17th Jul 2007, 16:33
Ask Xrayalpha, he owns it.

xrayalpha
18th Jul 2007, 17:59
Hi,

Plans for Strathaven:

We aim to become central Scotland's premier sport flight airfield.

So, not just microlights, but also light aircraft.

We have planning for a new 9,000sq ft hanger and are just getting the building warrant finalised (they wanted better disabled access until I pointed out we had a 60ft wide door with level access to get the aircraft in and out!

The local fire office has said that 1800l a minute fire hydrants are unnecessary. Etc etc etc.

It is still a £150,000 project.

The intention is to build a second similar hanger where the small one is and then replace the two Nissan hangers with a third large hanger.

So, half a million in hangers over the next five or so years!

Then a new clubhouse - that will be a couple of hundred thou.

So, the runways.

Main one is 530m with a clear overshoot to the west.

Crosswind is 24/06 and 235m fence to fence with an upslope to the south west. Ideal for weighshift microlights and three-axis sport flight aircraft.

My background is microlights - and apart from the cost of new three-axis sport flight aircraft (ie Ikarus, Eurostar, Dynamic) - I can't really understand why people who fly for fun would want a Cessna (unless they need four seats).

I feel people who fly for fun/sport - rather than build hours - will be flying the above aircraft over the next 10 years. So, Strathaven will remain a grass airfield and the grass will stand up to these machines better than it will to heavier aircraft.

Come and see us. PPR for first visit, then just pop in anytime. Landing fee a fiver, or 100 quid for a year, or 200 for based members.

Cheers,

Colin

0797 997 1301

PH-UKU
18th Jul 2007, 23:07
XRAy-AlphaMy background is microlights - and apart from the cost of new three-axis sport flight aircraft (ie Ikarus, Eurostar, Dynamic) - I can't really understand why people who fly for fun would want a Cessna (unless they need four seats).

... or floats ... or a wee bit better/faster range .. :)

So, you gonna iron out the bumps for my floating shopping trolley ? :p

PPRuNe Radar
19th Jul 2007, 00:13
I'd come and film you PH-UKU .... but I fear you'd not get it started again ;)

xrayalpha
19th Jul 2007, 09:38
Hi,

Let's not get into the my plane is better than yours arguement - although I'd love to fly floats!

My only point in mentioning this is to emphasise how much microlights have changed over the past five or so years.

You can fly three-axis microlights at 150mph, weightshift at 100mph and have endurances of over six hours!

You also get some real scrappers!

clearfinalsno1
19th Jul 2007, 09:51
It sounds like you're planning on spending a lot on hanger and airfield facility improvements, yet strangely none on the runways.

Do you really not like spam cans and want to keep us away or is there just no scope to extend the runways? I'd be happier with nearer to 800m for 4-up in a PA28/C172.

Say again s l o w l y
19th Jul 2007, 10:09
I would have thought its more to do with the focus of the airfield. Spamcans are all very well, but the focus is on different machines.

Extending a runway is a long and arduous task involving lots of time and money before going anywhere near the runway itself. I think Colin has it absolutely right, when he's finished, it'll be a great facility.

FullyFlapped
19th Jul 2007, 10:18
Do you really not like spam cans and want to keep us away or is there just no scope to extend the runways? I'd be happier with nearer to 800m for 4-up in a PA28/C172.
I hear what you're saying, but 530m is about the length of the "main" runway at Netherthorpe, and they seem to manage.

Good luck to this guy, he's putting a lot of money in and deserves the success I'm sure he's going to have. I may pop in to say hello sometime ... although I must admit, most of my seats will be empty at 530m !! ;);)

FF :ok:

xrayalpha
19th Jul 2007, 13:33
Hi Clearfinals,

Don't want to keep spamcans away, but if you look at the plate on the site it mentions a 10ft slope down in the rgound at the end of the runway!

Now, unless Argyll and Bute Council want to take us over and spend a few million - we do own the next 800m of ground! - then there ain't going to be no runway extension.

One cubic meter of type one rock weighs 2.2 tonnes - and it costs about 10 quid a tonne delivered. So you can do the calcs!

I'd be cheaper buying every spamcan flyer who wanted to visit a nice new Ikarus at 45k.

And since the Ikarus - or the weightshifts - can take off and land in less than 100m, then 530m is OK.

In September, we are looking at offering everyone with a Scottish address on their driving licence and a logbook with at least 10 hours in it (as student or qualified) a free 15 minute flight in the Ikarus just so as you can experience what a modern microlight/sport flight aircraft is like, and find out more about the airfield.

Very best to all