PDA

View Full Version : Promotions to Air Rank, HOW MANY?

general loony
16th Jul 2007, 17:43
Is anybody else appalled at the number of promotions to air rank on the July promotion board (16) do we really need more high ranking officers? Surely in these days of cost cutting it should start at the top or am I being cynical? :{

TheInquisitor
16th Jul 2007, 18:09
1st post, eh? Nice fishing, Journo.

Going straight for the top brass as well? Guess you work for The Scum, then....

ProfessionalStudent
16th Jul 2007, 18:12
He's got a point though...

Chris Kebab
16th Jul 2007, 18:21
I most certainly am not a journo and exactly the same thought went through my mind.

Mind you looking at all the Stars in the newly formed DES I guess they have got to come from somewhere.

Wrathmonk
16th Jul 2007, 18:41
Or, just perhaps, it is a reflection in the number of 2* PVRs of late that has caused those below to "move up one". Dead mans shoes and all that ...:ok:

glum
16th Jul 2007, 19:07
Or maybe we have to promote people to those ranks because they need to be paid enough to retain them?:rolleyes:

16th Jul 2007, 19:14
So when is someone in authority actually going to do something about the number of people leaving? Sadly the sort of senior officer who PVRs because he can't tolerate the horrendous state we now find ourselves in, is exactly the sort we need to keep. It is the others who are self serving and promote others in their likeness who we need to get rid of. Is there any leadership left in the RAF or are we run by yes-men, only concerned with the next knighthood, promotion or pension increase. The RAF is now a fragmented organisation despite being scythed frequently in the last 20 years to decrease numbers and improve efficiency - there is no cohesion, no common purpose and a total lack of loyalty down through the rank structure, despite the demand for that loyalty back up the chain. :{

general loony
16th Jul 2007, 20:00
Not a journo just concerned about the way things are going. Not sure what sort of message this sends out to the people on the coal face. We seem to have no money for equipment and infra structure, but can promote more air ranks.

Compressorstall
16th Jul 2007, 20:07
Well said! Unfortunately the people who could make a difference are actually those yes men you describe, the good ones are getting harder to find the higher you go. My colleagues are voting with their feet and the good ones can see jobs at BA etc opening up and proper qulaity of life coming their way. The sad thing is we still do a worthy job and the yes men can sit at home and brag about the exploits of the gritty individuals who make almost impossible things happen every day. Those individuals don't care (on the whole) about becoming CAS, but they do care about the people they serve with and that is the backbone that keeps things running, no matter how many political yes men spend their time telling us how great it is and how necessary change is and how it's all explained by the latest glossy pamphlet.

GasFitter
16th Jul 2007, 20:21
...... and it's up against the wall ..... BOP, BOP, BOP!

Pontius Navigator
16th Jul 2007, 21:26
Adieu, may be someone is telling you something? PN :}

RAF_Techie101
16th Jul 2007, 23:03
AIDU...

Have you ever considered that you may actually need to be good at your actual job to be promoted...? I've got one secondary duty - that's working with the air cadets. I do this because I enjoy it, not because I want to be promoted. I am however good at my job - if the air force still chooses to ignore me when the board sits - well that's their loss not mine. Half the Air Forces problem is that people are promoted on the basis of their secondary duties, and not because they're good at their job, show leadership qualities etc...

Soap box tagged back into stores.....

Pontius Navigator
17th Jul 2007, 05:56
RAF Techie, I think AIDU was actually making a joke.

Take your point though, it often seems that way. OTOH I do know people who are actually good at their jobs and have been promoted and have personalities too!

Certainly seems that there are two sets of stairs with Scottish Gp Capts etc going up one set.

top_cover
17th Jul 2007, 07:46
400% more air rank promotions than there were FE promotions, are the FE branch really that bad???

Seldomfitforpurpose
17th Jul 2007, 09:01
Yes, obviously :ok:

jayteeto
17th Jul 2007, 11:58
Do we need more high ranking officers??????? I don't think these are new posts, so what is the problem with filling existing posts where people move on or out? Useless first post if you are just having a whinge. Someone has to be in charge. If your thread was titled 'Does the military have too many senior officers?' then you might get some agreement from all services.....

Phoney Tony
17th Jul 2007, 16:56
We need more 1*s to do all the extra 1* OOA deployments without interfering with the jobs they have to back in the UK.

It would not do to have gapped posts!!!

Big Bear
17th Jul 2007, 18:15
Haven't you all missed the point. They clearly are getting the top level management in place for the expansion needed for Cold War II. We'll be opening up all of the bases that we have closed down in the last 14 years and recruiting like b*ggery. At least we have a new wizzy wonder jet to fend off the marauding Ruskies though.:E