PDA

View Full Version : B737NG approach numbers and FD

OLG
16th Jul 2007, 06:04
Dear All,

I'm going for a B737NG SIM screening as a part of a selection. I'm not 737 rated, but they said it is not required either. (I could even get on an other type, finally.) Me turboprop FO, time being. They said, pre-SIM briefing will be done for the flight technique, and no previous type knowledge required. Still I would not like to go there completely unprepared.

If someone could let me know the very basic (for an average day, weight etc. unknown) numbers: speeds, flaps, power for an ILS app., and also some reference to the basic usage of the NGs FD system, I'd greatly appreciate!

BRGDS

Rainboe
16th Jul 2007, 06:39
http://www.pprune.org/forums/showthread.php?t=250445&highlight=Flap5

Centaurus
16th Jul 2007, 09:58
also some reference to the basic usage of the NGs FD system, I'd greatly appreciate!

Depends on the airline conducting the assessment but it is normally flown raw data with no automatics just to see if you can fly within reasonable limits. The flight director will only serve to confuse you.

OLG
16th Jul 2007, 10:06
"The flight director will only serve to confuse you." :ugh:

Yes, that's what I think, as well. The ILS indication on PFD will surely help me more initially. :ok:

Anyways, in the meanwhile I got some "numbers" from the airline itself, that I am supposed to be using for preparation. Since I have never flown glass screen, only round gauges, one question though:

On the 737NG, when deccelerating on downwind for flaps and gear, are the flap speeds on the speed tape? OK, I got some numbers: do I throttle back first, and when the plane have just deccelerated past the F(x) speed, then I command Flaps (x), right?

Thanks for tips,

Wing_Bound_Vortex
16th Jul 2007, 10:44
Setting a required flap for landing in the FMC will pull up the flap speeds on the speed tape for the given landing weight you enter. As you slow down and approach clean speed you will see the letters " UP " marked on the speed tape, within 10 kts or so of that select flaps 1, then another numeral " 1 " will appear further down. Continue slowing, within 10 kts of " 1 " select flaps 5....etc etc you get the idea.

WBV

Rainboe
16th Jul 2007, 11:11
For powers, about 55%N1 (on the top gauges) helps in most phases of flight. Do not try to memorise too much- it won't be there when you need it- when in doubt, set 55%N1- for 250kt cruise, for slow cruise flaps up, and for approach, see what it does, then adjust it.

The speed tape has a marker at the next flap setting only, so it is quite uncomplicated. Slow to near that speed, select flap, then set speed at the next flap setting which will appear on the speed tape. You do not have to wait for the flap to reach position before you actually reduce speed, but flap runs quite fast so not a problem.

If you are not used to the pointer ILS display, it can be confusing to start with. You can imagine each pointer is a bar, but on the glareshield in front of your face is a controller for the Nav (map) display, and if you rotate the right hand knob to APP, it will switch the map display over to a large conventional ILS display you will find familiar.

When you lose an engine, put in an amount of rudder, hold it STILL and wait and see what happens. If you need to hold on aileron, if you are steering right, trim rudder right, Steer left, trim rudder left, until spectacle is horizontal. Take it all slow and easy, when ready, call for checklist.

Don't worry too much about numbers and memorising things. keep it simple and concentrate on primary instrument flying only. It is very nice- just keep watching attitude/speed/heading/altitude- everything is on one display. Get to understand the speed display on the left and the altitude display on the right as quick as you can. Don't get upset with yourself- you are not expected to be an expert.

Look the 737 site, but there is another useful as well- http://www.meriweather.com/777/fwd/pfd.html

Relax- you can only try your best! DO NOT get upset with yourself!

OLG
16th Jul 2007, 11:38
Dear All,

thanks for the replies, this is what I was thinking I wanted to know. :) Wasn't sure, though, never have flown glass. Hopefully I got the idea by now, will see in a few days anyway.

Thanks again, OLG

Empty Cruise
16th Jul 2007, 12:24
Dunno what TP you're on, so excuse me if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs...

Use the white track line (both on the ND and on the lower part of the AD) - and fly that, don't worry about the heading :ok:

OLG
16th Jul 2007, 13:56
"Dunno what TP you're on, so excuse me if I'm trying to teach you to suck eggs"

EC: me doing quite old style, round gauges, no FD here - ok, there is, actually, but only LHS. Poor RHS flies the rawest (bloody) data. :)

Spent the day reading and watching movies about the FD on 737NG, I guess hopefully I'll survive.

Thanks a lot,

CharterJake
16th Jul 2007, 14:10
OLG !

I see,that you are currently on the L-410... I have flown both the L-410 and the 737 Classic/NG series, here is my advice:
The two aircraft are very similar as far as handling characteristics, and looking back on the L-410, that thing needed a lot more effort to keep it going... So don't sweat it.
The above post by Empty Crz is very useful: On the Navigational display (ND) if you have APP selected on it, just put the white line (track line) over the CDI and you can't go wrong (ignore the Heading from there after), all you have to worry about now is the glide slope and the airspeed. Use 55% N1 with flaps 30 and on target speed: Vref +5 (or other wind additive) while established on the glide and your speed will be very close to the cursor. Remember to make small changes ! For take-off :
at Vr start rotating at about 3 deg/sec to 15-18 deg of pitch, to accelerate for flap retraction use 10 deg, and keep this 10 deg of pitch for a climb at 250 kt also! Level flight at 250 kt at 5 deg ! remember: PITCH and POWER ! Oh, yeah, if you use the sim in BUD, I've flown it it's a little less responsive than the aircraft, but that'll do you a favor after flying the L-410! Good luck !

OLG
16th Jul 2007, 17:55
"if you use the sim in BUD"

you know a lot, then :} about the situation
...that's the one

Thanks a lot for the tips, I really appreciate!

OLG