PDA

View Full Version : Tiger Airways or other Asian opportunity?

DonG
13th Jul 2007, 05:25
Does anyone know more about the Tiger "self-sponsored training program who are not qualified on type (320)?" Anyone know any ex-pats who did this? Salary range and other benefits? Days off, etc?...

Or, does anyone have an idea where an American RJ capt with some command time can go to Asia, except SO Cathay? Any carriers that treat their pilots well that don't have a type? Any ideas/insight would be much appreciated. Thanks!

Dani
14th Jul 2007, 11:29
Hi Don,

Non type-reated guys get the same contract as type rated, they just have to pay the bond (60 000S$, half of which paid before). Use the search function, there is everything explained.

Otherwise there are also RJ contracts in Asia, depends which one you fly. Read the contracter's ads please.

You might also have a chance in Silkair or Air Macau.

Cheers,
Dani

snotneus
26th Jan 2008, 10:42
Can anyone please inform us as 2 the pay at Tiger thesedays? Hows the housing allowance ect.

Gooneybird
26th Jan 2008, 11:09
Dani:
Otherwise there are also RJ contracts in Asia, depends which one you fly. Read the contracter's ads please.

You wouldn't have a link for that would you Dani?

Dream Land
26th Jan 2008, 15:42
Try this (http://www.avionco.com/career_opp.cfm) :}

MUFFDIVER
29th Jan 2008, 18:46
Anyone out there who can enlighten me on the pay and the actual take home would be greatly appreciated.

capson
30th Jan 2008, 02:26
Hmmmmm!!! Interesting username.."MUFFDIVER"..:hmm:;)

MUFFDIVER
30th Jan 2008, 16:19
Best I could do really...why NOT eh?

BUSTRASH
30th Jan 2008, 18:10
Air Macau takes people with no time in Type but you must go get a A320 Type, Pay 15,000 bond upfront refundable if you dont leave before 2 years. Also no pay 3-5month while in training, only 355 patacas (50usd a day(perduim) and Hotel. Once you get the whole training ordeal over you take home average 6000usd Tax free a month.

Slasher
31st Jan 2008, 01:01
This was the guff I got when I looked at them few months
ago as a rated capt

basic 8000
rate 109/stick hr [monthley av 90 hrs]
all pay taxable
roster 5on-2off-5on-3off

No per diems [no overnights]
No edu alowance
No AWS
NO profit-shareing
NO houseing alowance :ugh:
NO interline :eek:

Didnt bother to apply.

MUFFDIVER
2nd Feb 2008, 14:08
Thanx mate.

Two leads, AWESOME.

snotneus
6th Feb 2008, 17:57
Those in the know, which would be a better move Tiger or Silk?

Metro man
7th Feb 2008, 00:00
Silk definately for Captains. Full service airline with possible progression into Singapore Airlines. Tiger for F/Os as the upgrade is much faster and they take on with A320 rating and zero hours on type.

Similar money at the end of the day but in Silk you won't work as much for it. Travel benefits not fantastic with either one. Singapore cost of living has increased considerably over the past two years, forget a luxurious expat lifestyle, be prepared to live more 'local' and you will do fine.

iyi inisler
8th Feb 2008, 16:34
Hello metro man!!!!!

Do you have any idea about Captain Salary at Silk , Rumours talking about 11.000 USD is it true? Thanks and sorry to disturb you with this question...

Metro man
9th Feb 2008, 12:02
Last advert I saw was SIN$178 000 per year + profit share of about two months salary depending on company performance. Tiger would be about the same if 1000hrs flown.

herkmann
9th Feb 2008, 14:22
As a 6 year resident of singapore I thought I would have no problem converting my FAA licence to a sing licence. Wrong, after signing up with tigers and doing my 320 course with Northwest Airlines (no longer an option) I spent 4 months trying to get the dragon lady of the CAA, otherwise know as Faziah, to complete the paperwork. With no support whatever from the company, and finding out what tigers is really like, I bailed out and have not regretted that discision since then.

Tigers, as advertised, is a low cost carrier, but there is a huge difference between low cost and just damn cheap. Yes, they will pay you for your hours, about 90-95 a month, but that is all you will get out of them. If you want to work for someone who changes your schedule nightly, without warning and was, at one time, going to have crews sign in for the flight in the cockpit to save 15 minutes on duty time, be my guest. But before you commit yourself to a 60k sing dollar bond for training be aware that there are other, much better options available, such as Jet Star Asia.

We haven't even begun to discuss the incredible rise the cost of housing in sing. Since I left in 2006, the price of housing has just about double, according to my mates still on the island. I don't think tigers has increased they pay accordingly.

All in all singapore was a great place to live and work, a year ago, but if you still want to give it a try go with an airline with a little class.

kwaiyai
10th Feb 2008, 08:08
herkmann,
I hear FAA Licence is a prob due to the Sing CAA require a Flight Radio Telephony licence for conversion. this you can get but Guess they never told you that though. I also hear some new stuff about Foreign Lic conversion now requires you to have 3000 TT.
That is a rumour though,

Phil Squares
10th Feb 2008, 10:53
Herkmann,

Converted my license about 4+ years ago. Never had any problems, if you had flown international on the FAA license you had to have a restricted RT license. So that shouldn't be a problem.

Myself and other people had no problems with Faziah at all.

No time requirement on the hours for conversion. As long as you can pass the Air Law exam, no worries.

herkmann
10th Feb 2008, 17:01
Kwaiyai and Phil Squares
I have held a restricted radiotelephone operators licence since 1978 so that was not the problem. Also passed the air law exam, again, no problem. Maybe I just didn't fill the right squares. Seriously, the problem was that the US ATP has no expiration date and we do not have a seperate instrument rating, both of which cause Faziah no end of concern. Her response was "What to do Lah".

Also, Phil, who was your sponsoring company, SIA? Because neither Tigers nor Jet Star were in business 4 years ago. If it was SIA or even Silk Air that might explain the ease of your conversion.

dingo222
12th Feb 2008, 19:33
So how is the Tiger Australia stuff working out? How are the rosters working there? Are they only accepting those with work permits or visas, or is the company basing pilots there from Singapore?

Phil Squares
12th Feb 2008, 23:34
Herkmann

Were you trying to convert your license on your own? If so, that's the problem. For me it was SIA but even being current and qualified on the 400, I still had to go through the entire "reactivation" course.

If I'm not mistaken you can convert your license to a private or something similar on your own. But, anything higher you'll have to have a company sponsor and a full type rating and IR check.

herkmann
14th Feb 2008, 17:51
Phil,

No I was sponsored by Tigers, if that is what you want to call it. I was converting to a sing ATPL but, with the previously mentioned problems plus the fact that CAAS did not recognize any 320 type rating, unless it came from the factory school, I just gave up after 4 months. If I had stuck around it would eventually have happened. My sim buddy from the NWA course finally got his but I figured 4 months was more than enough time to sort out the paperwork.

After 6 years in the "peoples paradise" working for a great company and considering the sorry state of todays aviation I hung it up, a decision I have not yet regretted.

But to all you guys out there still flying the friendly skies (?) I wish all the luck in the world because, considering what has happened to the legacy carriers in the US you will probably need it, sooner rather than later. At least at tigers there are no illusions about losing benefits and retirement pay because there are NONE.