PDA

View Full Version : BA Fleet

HLD8391404
12th Jul 2007, 20:51
On recent trips to Europe the BA planes (737s, A319s, A320s) have appeared a bit 'tired'. So do the long-haul 747s. When looking at the doors, walls and bathrooms fittings you can tell they aren't new planes. Are they actually old? When is a plane past it's best-by date in terms of performance, maintenance and safety? Does BA have a policy on when new planes are ordered? Why are other flag carrier airlines placing orders, and BA isn't?
(Sorry for so many questions. :):ok:;))

high-hopes
12th Jul 2007, 23:14
If you look up the G-INFO database

http://www.caa.co.uk/application.aspx?catid=60&pagetype=65&appid=1

you can find information about date of registration, ownership, hours flown and date built of any aircraft registered in the UK.

A lot of the BA 737's for example are registered G-DOCD, DOCA, DOCO, DOCU and so forth. They are on average 15-16 years old.

Age is not a problem for airplanes normally, as long as they're maintained properly.

WHBM
13th Jul 2007, 07:17
You are obviously referring to the interior cabin furnishings rather than anything significant and structural.

When the BA BAC One-Elevens were retired in the early 1990s I flew on them several times in their last weeks, after 25 years service, and recall noticing how their interiors were spotless and immaculate with only a short while to go. Obviously maintained fully up to spec right to the last. Cabin interiors do not last the lifetime of the plane but are replaced periodically and individual components can have this done straightforwardly when required.

What you are seeing is the result of financial tightness. The poor cabin state leads to an increased bonus for Willie and his friends, in inverse proportion. Which do you think they prefer ?

apaddyinuk
13th Jul 2007, 11:54
When BA places fleet orders it is generally for the long term. Lets face it, to order aircraft for a fleet the size of BA's is not cheap and therefore they want planes which will last the pace. BA owes nothing to its 737, 747, 757, 767 fleets and looks the same with its 777 fleet. The airbus' are newer (bar the old cally ones) and still to prove the test of time although I feel that they will.

When BA does announce its longhaul order later this year I imagine that those aircraft too will be selected for their reliability over time!

Final 3 Greens
13th Jul 2007, 14:42
BA is not a great customer experience these days, the customer oriented philosophy of the 80s is leaking away and the shabby aircraft interiors reflect that, although I am not doubting the maintenance of the aircraft in the critical areas.

I used to be a supporter of BA on this forum, but no longer.

There are better options these days on long and short haul, but yer pays yer money and takes yer choice.

Wycombe
13th Jul 2007, 22:48
I've flown shorthaul with BA twice so far this year (PRG from LHR and VRN/BLQ from LGW), and where there was a choice their fares were equivalent to or lower than the "LCC's", for me and my family of 4.

Yes, it's only the "alldaydeli" in Y these days, but you still get that and a drink, and a paper to read, leather seats that recline a bit, and we were looked after very pleasantly on all sectors.

Yes, the 73's at LGW are getting a bit old (but many other major airlines fly shorthaul kit that is equally as old), but superficially at least they looked fairly clean and tidy to me.

apaddyinuk
14th Jul 2007, 03:38
The A319s/320s/321s and the 757s are all being refitted (or newly delivered if that is the case) with the new space saver seats which are actually far more comfortable and modern looking then the previous kit!!! SO that should help with the updating of the cabins.

Yes the 747's and 777's are looking awful. To be honest I just feel they need to change the seat fabric as its just a dated scheme (heck it still has prints from the Utopia days on it) and the carpets and curtains need a bit of jazzing up! Also the loos need to be removed and replaced to look a tad more modern but I cant see the cost cutting fanatics of waterside ever signing a job like that off! Fortunately the Longhaul 767's actually look pretty good now considering they all had a total refit in the last two years.

A refresh of the Longhaul Economy cabins (WT and WTP) is currently being researched and due to be launched by the end of the year, however I doubt anything radical will happen. I would love to see the day but Im just too pessimistic about the company these days to have any hope! LOL!