View Full Version : Writing a letter to Prince Charles.

gingernut
12th Jul 2007, 21:37
I need to write to Prince Charles, about a matter Cornish.

Anyone know how to start the letter?

Dear Royal Highness?

Dear Prince Charles

Dear Duke?

Dear Duke of Cornwall?

What's the precedent?

Peter Fanelli
12th Jul 2007, 21:38
Dear Wingnut,

or

Dear BigEars,

:)

gingernut
12th Jul 2007, 21:41
Perhaps followed a a persuasive argument?

mrsurrey
12th Jul 2007, 21:43
Dear Commander of the Cornish Seperation Movement

G-CPTN
12th Jul 2007, 21:44
Don't think you Dear the Royals, just Your Royal Highness, Charles Philip Arthur George Windsor, Prince of Wales, Duke of Cornwall, Heir Apparent.

blackace
12th Jul 2007, 21:49
Ooooarrr, ooooarrr, ooooarrr, 'ow be you? I be alright. 'ow be you? I be alright too. Arrrrrrr!!!

Davaar
12th Jul 2007, 21:53
Look at Google: "Forms of address in the United Kingdom".

mrsurrey
12th Jul 2007, 21:56
i've got the debretts guide to etiquette upstairs, give me a couple of hours and i may make it up there :p

tony draper
12th Jul 2007, 21:57
One has a old Pears encyclopedia that has all the information on how to address letters to Royalty,Arch Bishops, people of quality and such,but a quick shufty around the Towers has failed to reveal its whereabouts,one shall do a deeper search tomorrow because one is shagged out and cannot be bothered tonight and one's left knee is hurting.
:rolleyes:
PS, one knows off the top of one's head one does not address a Duke as Mr Duke one addresses him "Your Grace".
:cool:

gingernut
12th Jul 2007, 22:15
thanks chaps, I'll take a look davaar.

Snappybits
12th Jul 2007, 22:46
Your Royal Highness Sir,

Howard Hughes
13th Jul 2007, 00:03
I would have gone for "Your Royal Highness", but then again I am from the Antipodes...;)

Blacksheep
13th Jul 2007, 01:59
Military style formal official letter.

Your Royal Highness,

Subject: Something Cornish...

I have the honour to request....

Blah, blah, blah

I have the honour to be, Sir,

Your obedient servant.

Mr. Gingernut Esq.

After the salutation you can call him Sir in the text.
There's nowt like a bit of grovelling and forelock tugging when dealing with those to whom no one has ever addressed the word "No!"

mrsurrey
13th Jul 2007, 02:09
must have been a funny old world in the old days. here's what debrettes has to say:

Envelope:
"The Private Secretary to His Royal Highness The Prince of Wales"

Opening of letter:
"Dear Sir" (seemed strange to me as well)

Verbel Address:
"Your Royal Highness, Sir"

and if you're feeling confident a place card should read:
"HRH The Prince of Wales"

Good old Debrett's cover's absolutely everything.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Debretts-Guide-Etiquette-Modern-Manners/dp/074727715X

MrS

innuendo
13th Jul 2007, 02:21
Mmmnnn, Blacksheep, seeing as how we are dealing with some formality here (perhaps I am splitting hairs) , but would one not be either, Mr. Gingernut or Gingernut Esq. I seem to remember my English teacher stating that there was a redundancy if both were used.

mrsurrey
13th Jul 2007, 02:26
doesn't Esq denote ownership of property? i think it's considered a bit uncouth these days - a bit like putting captain before your name if you're a pilot?

MrS

Bushfiva
13th Jul 2007, 02:33
Hatcherlly, Esquire is a legal dignity in the UK. But since the late 19th Century Esquire has been used as a polite way to address a male. In the US, it tends to be used when addressing those of the legal beagler and financial persuasion. The masses simply put "Mr" before or "Esq." after, but not both.

Blacksheep
13th Jul 2007, 07:14
here's what debrettes has to say:

Debrettes is all right for the hoi poloi but for we of the common herd, a bit of over-the-top grovelling works best. It doesn't do to give the impression that you think you're of the class to whom Debrettes readers aspire. Let the rise and fall of Sir Walter Raleigh be a lesson.

Big Mack McKay got in deep shit for trying to make Princess Alexandra larf.

" And what were you before you joined the Royal Air Force? "
"' Appy, Marm "

"I was at school, Marm" might not have been quite as cool, but it would have spared him the indignity of two weeks jankers. You have to mind your P's n Q's with Royalty. A good grovel is what gets results with the likes of them.

...unless you're breaking down the doors of the palace with a 100,000 strong, pike, sickle and flag waving mob at your back. :suspect:

Mr. Blacksheep esq.,
serf, pleb, groveller and forelock tugger extraordinaire.

cavortingcheetah
13th Jul 2007, 08:13
:hmm:
Had a letter on e mail this morning from some poor chap who was suffering from cancer of the prostate and the oesophagus. It seems a trifle unfair to have the rot at both ends, so to speak. This led one on to this happy little forum and made one reflect upon the bottom line which might stick in the throat. Once you have finished writing your little monologue addressed to Charlie Gotha, in order to comply with forms of addresses, you are obliged to sign off with..
I have the honour to be, Sir
Your Royal Highnesse's most humble and obedient servant.
From Castle Cheetah, one can think of absolutely nothing about which one would want to write to this particular social misfit that would warrant such self abasement.:ooh:
Off with his head!!!!

ThreadBaron
13th Jul 2007, 08:21
Thread drift: from addressing his Royal Highness to addressing

the hoi poloi

In addresssing 'the masses' using the Greek phrase, 'the' might be considered redundant as 'hoi' is the Greek equivalent. There are others who think differently!:rolleyes:

Oh, and by the way, there are two 'l's in polloi.

I remain, sir,
Your obedient servant
Pedantus Maximus

tony draper
13th Jul 2007, 08:37
Those Cornishmen used visit the Palace in person mob handed wi sickles axes pitchforks and such in hand.
:uhoh:

Beer_n_Tabs
13th Jul 2007, 10:18
'Chaz my man'

Might be nice to keep it informal.

Solid Rust Twotter
13th Jul 2007, 10:37
"Chuckles, old bean....."

Gainesy
13th Jul 2007, 11:04
Hiya Walt, how's Milly the Filly?:suspect:

Kolibear
13th Jul 2007, 11:07
If a Duke is masculine and a Duchess is feminine, then surely, you mustn't address him as 'Your Royal Highness', but 'Your Royal Higher'?

cavortingcheetah
13th Jul 2007, 11:35
:hmm:

Well actually, that's not so far off the mark.

In the old English, there were two words used for such a title, in order to facilitate a gender dinstinction.

Héanes for men and heannis for women.

Obviously, given the English fascination for sloppy syntax, the two words have been merged into one. QED.

Bung Ho!:cool:

silly walks
13th Jul 2007, 12:35
Hey Big Ears,
Can you teach me to land a BAe 146:}:E

parabellum
13th Jul 2007, 12:44
I was once told that if you met a Royal in person your first response was Your Majesty/Your Highness and thereafter Mam or Sir was appropriate.
(Sister went to a Garden Party, got the brief).

Windy Militant
13th Jul 2007, 13:10
Dear Bloke belonga Mrs Quin,
I am the Wife of the Late Mr Winston Patonga olonga. Due to false accusations about my husband I find myself unable to access our business accounts to feed my seld and my 15 starving picaninnes please help me by sending me your sort code account numbers please.......................... :}