PDA

View Full Version : EK / IFS to OPS

baob2oba
12th Jul 2007, 16:45
Hi there,

Does one of you guys working at EK Ops or around, know if my project has any chance or if i'm directly heading to the wall?

I'm CC for EK, no ramp or dispatch experience. Now about to enroll for the gcaa flight dispatch course at EAC ( FOM 1&2 ), i'm just wondering if it's worthy spending 6000$ and 2 unpaid leave months in it if i can't find any position at Ops after that.
I went to the EAC open day yesterday and was answered something like " there's a career path for dispatchers, not like in your job"...

They might try to sell the course ok but they can't be so wrong... Any comment or help from someone inside the Ops would be more than helpful ! :ok:

Cheers,

Bao

helen-damnation
14th Jul 2007, 12:20
Hi,
I'm sure you've already done it, but have you spoken to any of the dispatchers?
Ask a friendly flt deck (there are some of us around:eek:) for the number of dispatch or smnc and see if you can get into their offices for a look-see and an opportunity to ask some questions.
Good luck :ok:

sbh684b
15th Jul 2007, 23:15
Im a Flight Dispatcher for EK
check your PM or mail

rgds

evertonmad
16th Jul 2007, 05:34
There are plenty jobs out there but being qualified is not enough on its own. Like any job, you'll need experience. What you learn in a course is only a small percentage of what you'll be tasked with every day.

Expect to be paid peanuts until you gain the experience required. You should also note it can be a stressful job and you have to enjoy working under pressure and being responsible for your decision making. Can you multitask well, do you know how to prioritize your workload, do you like the idea of working shifts, have you the confidence as a person to stand by your judgments - without being cocky or arrogant, just strong enough to make your point? Dealing with flight crew is the hardest part of this job. They are on the front line and depend on you for support. When they are having a bad day, you will have a worse day.

All that being said, it's an interesting career and with some hard work and the right opportunities it will offer you a comfortable living.

baob2oba
17th Jul 2007, 06:35
Thanks Capt..;)